Equilibrium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Equilibrium Reviews

January 6, 2017
Equilibrium is about a distopian society. Feeling is not allowed. To achieve that objective, everybody has to take a drug called Prozium. It's supposed to lead to a society of peace. Instead, it's a society of suppression and murder, where people are executed for the smallest things, such as possessing art, music, having emotion, refusing to take medication. Instead, the ideal is to be a loyal mindless killing machine, destroying those who are different, who feel.

John Preston, played by Christian Bale, believes in this system, is a high-ranking part of this system, hunts down those who are feeling and hiding their contraband art and music. He loses his work partner and his own wife to this system and finally has a day when he does not take his Prozium. John finally sees the light and feels normal human emotions.

Authoritarian systems can take many forms and use many methods: forced medication, execution of people for any infringement, hunting people down, control of every little aspect of people's lives, oversurveillance and loss of all privacy, overincarceration, government control of all freely flowing information to ensure it is the government approved version. Are such sacrifices worthwhile for the illusion of security, law, order, and justice which are not equitable, reasonable, or fair?

Times are changing. Ours may not look exactly like the world in Equilibrium, but we do and will continue to face many of the same challenges. "Big Brother" should be a tool for good, not a tool for evil. Lifestyle choice is relevant. Cultural choice is relevant. Humanitarian and humane penalties and rules are relevant. To give up all these relevant things that make life what it is.....Is that worth the illusion of security? To some, apparently it is. To me...not so sure about that.

Security is a balance of competent people, good technology, and reasonable rules with reasonable ways to encourage the following of those rules. Is what we have now good security? It appears to be a mishmash, to me. When security is used to enforce the will of the wealthiest over everyone else, or to deny reasonable accomodations for cultural and lifestyle choices, it is tyranny under the guise of security.

And what was the United States founded upon? What was so dire that colonists fought to overthrow their king for? Which famous American Patriot said, "Give me liberty, or give me death!"? The American Revolution happened and the War for Independence was primarily fought for mere taxes. TAXES. Taxes on tea. Not forced medication as depicted in Equilibrium. Not having art and music (culture) taken away.

Come to think of it, we have forced medication NOW. You must allow your child to be injected with substances that the person giving the injection cannot even list and describe or describe any contraindications for or any possible side effects for other than temporary pain at injection site and fever. And these injections are for the purpose of protecting against diseases which are not actually deadly, while the diseases they cause (autoimmune, SIDS, autism, retardation if your child has a mitochondrial malfunction, and ADHD) are comprehensively denied and covered up, blamed on something else, so that somebody doesn't have to pay for the damage. And liability has even been legally removed from the companies, so if damage is caused by their product they will not have to pay.

Medical personnel are being forced to choose between losing their jobs or accepting injections containing mercury, a known neurotoxin (which the so-ethical vaccine manufacturers used to put into children's vaccines too, knowing they were causing damage), and undergoing very minimal safety standards and testing (since they develop a new flu vaccine each year). Nurses are having to accept these injections in order to keep their jobs, when wearing masks and washing hands are safer and more effective methods of preventing flu spread in hospitals. Why? Because the biggest shareholders of the biggest vaccine making corporations make insane amounts of money off this system. But the government tells us they're safe? Yes, they do. Who paid for the campaigns of most of our elected officials? Including the ones who decide which people will decide what is "good" healthcare policy and what is "safe" to eat or inject into your body?

And now, you are doing a little "fact-checking" of your own, trying to find the study that proves any connection between vaccines and anything else and is mercury really a neurotoxin? You can find some things about mercury but when it comes to negative research on vaccines, the search engine gives you next to nothing. Huh, if it's not in the search engine, it doesn't exist, right? It's interesting, but it seems that those few studies that do not say exactly what official doctrine is about vaccines just disappear, whether depublished or just removed from searchability. Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc are generally pretty compliant with government requests. A recent Canadian study linking vaccines to multiple conditions disappeared as fast as it appeared. One other bit of research I found several years ago that disappeared from search engine? Brain cancer study. I was so excited, when I found an obscure article online published in some medical journal primarily consumed by specialists. In a small study, a specific type of brain cancer went into drastic remission in most study participants, fully curing some and on the way to curing others. I went to find it again a month later, and all traces of it were gone from the search engine. It didn't exist. How sad!

People can feel safe knowing the government is keeping the peace in our land of the free. Big Brother knows best, even if Big Brother is owned and operated by all the biggest corporations, and the biggest shareholders of those corporations, in the US, through their long history of election campaign funding. Surely, they have all our best interests in mind.

I'm not saying that the US has reached the state of Equilibrium, or things in the movie Equilibrium. I'm not saying it's any one person or company or politician's fault. But there are things that need to be changed if we don't want our children and grandchildren to exist in an unreasonably authoritarian state under unreasonable rules and conditions. Some of it is here already, and some of it is right around the corner if we don't nip it now. And no, I don't believe in pure anarchy. That's another form of hell as well, as in The Purge. No thank you.
November 28, 2016
Unfairly underrated, Equilibrium clearly borrows from The Matrix and classic sci-fi films such as Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 but stands out on its own mostly thanks to the main character's personal emotional conflict and its intense, well-choreographed fighting scenes.
November 26, 2016
good concept raw action cud hv done better !!
November 2, 2016
Totally underrated...
November 1, 2016
Now that's what I call an extremely underrated movie.
½ October 25, 2016
49%
Great action and effects on the surface along with some fun, corny dialogue, but underneath, Equilibrium is just another one-trick-concept film that really makes no sense.

V: 61%
½ October 23, 2016
Amazing fight scenes, Christian Bale kicks ass. I wanna learn Gun Fu.
October 22, 2016
Far sillier than it's drab design and overly serious tone suggests. Also, the plot can't follow it's own absurd internal logic.
½ October 20, 2016
Lmao, gunkata. This movie was so forced and *serious*. Man, back when The Matrix was cool and leather and latex were the style du jour for oppressive regimes. There were some elements here that were quite well written and showed that at least some of the people who worked on this had the ability to make a film with substance. My favorite scene is when they call in the surrender of the resistance, very well done, I thought, although it's so short you're liable to miss it, and I think it's hard to grasp the gravity of their decisions.
P.S. I watched this movie again because of that image where Christian Bale and Hillary Clinton are side-by-side and she looks like she's wearing the same suit.
September 25, 2016
Far from a perfect movie, in fact I'd even argue that it's actually NOT a good movie at all, Equilibrium nevertheless manages to be extremely entertaining from start to finish. Borrowing heavily from such stories such as 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, maybe even ripping them off in many respects, the film strives to tell a story that is deep and heartfelt about the importance of emotion and individuality. However, thanks to the film's ridiculously over the top action sequences or "gun kata" (kung fu with guns) and its apparent lack of self-awareness, its messages are nearly impossible to take seriously. With that said, the fight scenes, as outrageous as they are, are still very well-choreographed and exciting. The visual style, while again ripping off of other styles, does have a few interesting moments of eye candy. Even the performances, especially from Angus Macfadyen, are hilariously hammy. Special mention should go to Christian Bale as the lead who actually creates a very genuine portrayal of a man who's experiencing emotions for the first time in his life. His performance is honestly too good for this schlock. There's even something to be said about the enthusiasm for the story being told by the filmmakers. This never feels like some cynical cash grab. It feels like director Kurt Wimmer and the people involved wanted to make something really great and it truly shows here; a dumb movie with an Ed Wood type passion but with much better production values. Overall, while this is far from a game changer and is often clumsy in its execution, Equilibrium works as a purely fun entertaining piece of fluff with the admirable ambition to say something more.
½ September 13, 2016
This movie was so bad i don't even know how to review it. Seriously...a puppy in his trunk? There are so many scenes that I literally laughed out loud in.
September 11, 2016
From the get go it was very hard for me to get into this movie. I thought the story was so dumb and very hard to believe that there can be a world where humans can not have any feelings. Such a dumb idea. Bale had some great action scenes, but that's it. I couldn't finish the movie either. 1/5
September 10, 2016
Gonna have to agree with the critics on this one. This movie's all over the place.
½ September 8, 2016
one of Bales finest roles, super underrated by critics, cause well, they are dumb. great cast and great story. so glad this has a cult following now.
½ August 22, 2016
It's becoming rather trendy these days to consider Equilibrium a decent if not downright good film, at least in a cult following manner of speaking. Fearing I had missed something of importance in the science fiction genre, I watched the film with a glimmer of hope. Alas, Equilibrium is probably worse than the critics gave it credit for. Bale does the best he can, transforming himself as he always has but unfortunately, Wimmer has prepared nothing for him. As was the case with Ultraviolet (a movie that is practically a stepsister to this monstrosity), Equilibrium is plagued by atrocious CGI, preposterous effects and a lazy plot that offers little to the audience. In a room crowded by films like Blade, Underworld and Resident Evil, the bar for a film like this isn't high. Unfortunately, you can't take yourself or your movie seriously. Wimmer makes both these mistakes, failing to include the humor of Blade or the blatant sexuality of Underworld and Resident Evil, not to mention the over the top violence that made those movies so fun. Instead, Wimmer seems convinced he's created some deep thinking science fiction masterpiece. Instead he's just hacked up the remains of The Matrix, a film this movie literally draws scenes and actions directly from in a manner so close to plagiarism, I'm surprised the lawyers didn't come knocking. Indeed this film has all manners of copycatting syndrome, stealing bits from Resident Evil while pirating atmosphere and tone from every science fiction film from Bladerunner to the Fifth Element. It's a hodgepodge of crap and no one should have to wade through it, much less suffer through over an hour of the main character barely arcing whatsoever. Wimmer should have stuck to his day job. That is, not directing.
August 22, 2016
Indecisive, noncommittal direction creates two movies in one, resulting in nothing more than a bombastic shoot-em-up that will undoubtably suffice some.
July 31, 2016
Some mild pacing problems, but this movie stands as a more approachable action-packed version of Fahrenheit 451. Gun Kata and a few quotable quotes anchor this movie as a cult classic.
½ July 21, 2016
Equilibrium is a disappointing film. It is about a man in charge of enforcing the law rises to overthrow the Fascist system. Christian Bale and Sean Bean give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Kurt Wimmer did a horrible directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ July 11, 2016
86%
12/10/2013
Equilibrium is not like most of the sci-fi films that i have seen, but it has a lot of heart and emotion. Christine Bale again shines in a role that couldn't have given him much scope. There are lot of emotionally gripping scenes in this film. This film was made with a budget of just 20 million and the plus point is that it doesn't look that cheap. Unfortunately Equilibrium was a flop( mostly due to the over abundant negative reviews, one thing I really hate about Hollywood and America). This film seems to be influenced from The Matrix series a lot, but it is the first time since watching The Matrix that I feel impressed by a neo version of an action film. This film has one drawback, it has a rushed off ending and the over pacing was unnecessary. It could have easily been avoided. Other than this, Equilibrium is a fine film filled with a lot of plot twists.