Europa Report - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Europa Report Reviews

½ April 24, 2017
Such a ginormous plot hole that nobody seems to pick up on!
[SPOILERS - SORT OF]
They land on the moon, do some tests, a solar flare hits and they lose comms on the main module WHICH IS NOT ON THE MOON. They somehow space walk from the moon(?) to repair the comms and then are back on the moon again after this part is over??? What the hell is going on?
Apart from this and other typical Hollywood type mistakes it was an OK film.
April 24, 2017
Very boring. Just dragged out showing characters that were hard to care about. don't waste your time, watch star trek.
½ April 20, 2017
"Europa Report" is an intense, scientifically plausible low budget hard science fiction film which I very much enjoyed. However, its plot is essentially identical to a chapter from the novel: "2010: Odyssey II" by Arthur C. Clarke. Likewise, the movie uses commonly practiced formulas such as on by one pick offs and technological malfunctions. I regularly see films where the characters miracally beat the odds and survive a near death situation (eg. Gravity, Interstellar, every Star Trek episode) which annoys me very much. This was not the case in "Europa Report" resulting in extra tension when a problems arose during the film.
April 4, 2017
"Europa Report" has its positives but it has several flaws which bring it down to a predictable and mediocre sci-fi flick.

This is about 6 astronauts on a mission to the moon "Europa" to look for life. As the mission continues on, it proves to be increasingly difficult as the crew members are put through difficult situations.

There are aspects to this that I like. Firstly, I usually dislike found-footage. I feel that it's lazy but this film handles it so well that I didn't even notice it. Also, this movie was running on a tight budget which is understandable why this film did use found-footage so I can forgive that.

Also, this movie is actually kind of realistic in terms of scientific accuracy. Scientists theorize that "Europa" is covered in ice with a center made of water. So the science presented in this movie is actually fairly accurate. It's always nice to see a science fiction film display accuracy and I liked it.

But the acting is really hit or miss. It's not completely terrible but it's not anything special which starts to bring me into its flaws.

My first issue with the film is that the movie has no character development. It isn't always necessary to have character development but this movie didn't even give personality or mood to any of the characters. They felt so much like empty shells that I could care less whether which ones lived and which ones died.

There was another thing I didn't like about the characters. At first, I didn't know how to word it but another reviewer hit the nail on the head when he said that the crew members were pretty much deficient. One crew member after another kept on screwing up adding extra drama to the movie. Some old science fiction movies may not have gotten their science right but the crews were more professional. The drama came from other sources.

I've seen some people say that they loved the cgi in this movie but I didn't like it at all. The shots of "Europa" looked like they were from some low budget video-game. I could tell they were fake and they weren't very believable. They looked highly outdated for 2013.

I'm not going to spoil the ending but it's really thin and not enough is explained. The ending just makes people go "Huh?" and try to google up some theory. The movie ripped off a lot from "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "The Abyss" also. Also, this movie failed to keep my attention. I found myself checking my watch several times during it. The movie picked up near the end but the rest of it was very bland.

So in conclusion, this movie is just mediocre. It's not absolutely horrible like some sci-fi movies but it's very flawed. It's quite a shame too because this really could have been a truly amazing cult-classic but it's ultimately weighed down by numerous flaws.
March 20, 2017
A solid slow-burn found footage entry with good acting. The desolate atmosphere of deep space was executed very well. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a boring movie at times, but tension filled the space around me and plenty of frightening imagery towards the end made this satisfying, if only barely
½ March 13, 2017
While Europa Report is somewhat original and very interesting in premise, it is not engaging, it is predictable, and therefore it does not achieve a status above mediocrity. Also, for a movie that is supposed to put the "science back into science fiction" it does very little to explain why the creature evolved an ability to melt the ice above it and take down its "prey". The surface of the moon is frozen and desolate by all accounts we're given... so what is the point of a predator's ability to access it?
March 5, 2017
This is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Its essentially part documentary (mockumentary?), part sci-fi film, about a team of astronauts sent to Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter, to investigate the possibility of there being microscopic life in the oceans underneath Europa's vast ice-caps.
You need to like outer-space type-stuff (which I do) and some of the films set-pieces are very much like sequences from Gravity, but as the film trundles along, the interest levels start to rise, as does the tension, and overall quality of the film.
In the end, I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised, as I really enjoyed this, but as I say, this sort of thing is right up my street. Other reviews I had read of it weren't particularly great, but I enjoyed it, and I think other Sci-Fi'ers will too.
½ December 17, 2016
Europa, Jupiter's moon is known to have potential to support life.
The last 5 minutes of this movie really satisfied me. That was worth to wait the curiosity of the whole movie.
7/10
½ December 15, 2016
???????? ??? ??????????? ??????? ?????????????. ?????? ??????????. ?????????? ?????.
December 14, 2016
A thrilling and suspenseful space exploration film.

Space exploration themes are the next big thing in cinema, as well as in the real world. So there some good films, I mean not science fiction, but real science based films were made in the recent times. This is one looked like one of those until the final scene. According to be, it looked so good, but when the end came, it ruined everything.

It was more like a docu-adventure-drama, but was a found-footage type film. I wanted to see it ever since I saw 'The Last Days on Mars', because people were comparing between these two. I think both these titles looks same, except different planet exploration. The 99 per cent of the film looked like a real mission, except the conclusion.

The writer, director and all the actors did good. The entire story takes place on a spaceship and a few scenes on the Jupiter's moon Europa, obviously a setting. If you like space travel concepts, you will enjoy it. It was just like 'The Martian', but it did not have popular actors, otherwise would have made a little buzz. Most of you have already seen it, if not try it, it is worth if you are a sci-fi fan.

6/10
December 8, 2016
Not what I expected. Kept waiting for something big to happen but felt like it never did. And shartlo Copley wasn't even in the movie tht long which is why I watched it.
½ December 5, 2016
This movie is surely very interesting for a lot of things, but mainly because it shows that is possible to make a good/great scifi with low budgets and without throwing everything into an action movie. But I think I also have lost some (small) points, that could hide some (bigfer) plot holes (like for example the death of one of the crew members).
November 24, 2016
Great story line held back by a director and producer that are as familiar with space travel as is a monkey with power tools. To believe thtrump ship or this crew is what mankind would send to Europa is utterly ridiculous and the characters handle themselves in situations like rookies
½ November 16, 2016
A complete waste of time. skip to the very end of the movie (if you even care enough). Personally, I wouldn't bother.
November 1, 2016
most exciting scientific/realistic movie about deep space travel. Story line captivates, realistic cameras views with real feel picture interference and overlaying data like info feed. keeps you thinking about universe and its unknown possibilities.
October 27, 2016
Super Solid Space Film
October 16, 2016
Worthy member of any good Space Exploration Mission film list.
½ September 30, 2016
Ultimate scientific realism. I love this film. It was absolutely everything I wanted it to be.
September 20, 2016
I've always found Europa to be so fascinating and this movie depicts exactly what I'd love to see happen in my lifetime - a manned mission to the most intriguing of Jupiter's moons.
½ September 4, 2016
Oh look, another 'found footage' movie -_-
For the genre it's pretty good, but this style of movie making is getting old.