Europa Report - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Europa Report Reviews

½ February 19, 2018
A well done realistic sci-fi thriller highlighting the value of self sacrifice for the greater good.
January 23, 2018
This is a terrible, headache-inducing jumble of low-budget, finally-the-monster-at-the-very-very-very-end (and not even cool monster) "movie" - I am writing this review - indeed I signed up for an account at this site just to write this review - for the express purpose of trying to lower the current 80% tatometer rating: I feel it is important to help the people who liked this movie. Save yourself, just watch a Bogart film, or Fire Marshall Bill--anything but this movie. You have been warned. Wow, movie-makers: Kill yourselves, or at least don't make any more movies like this, please.
January 15, 2018
A decent and fairly straightforward space adventure as humanity explores one of Jupiter's many moons. Some surprises throughout make this raw-looking visual thriller a pretty nice watch. The film may suffer in areas, but it's still decent.
December 26, 2017
Proper sci-fi done properly! Take a premise and follow it through to it's natural conclusion, with good ideas, acting, directing and filmography along the way. A gem that totally passed me by when it was released.
November 1, 2017
Slow, bet very realistic science fiction movie.
October 28, 2017
C'mon, seriously? You having Sharlto Copley and choosing not to use his brilliant South African accent is like having a Lamborghini and choosing not to drive it past first gear.
September 17, 2017
not the greatest sci fi ever made, but acceptable
August 13, 2017
Exciting and terrifying.
July 17, 2017
So slow...so boring!
July 11, 2017
It was an all around good movie. I actually saw it first on my PC and then went to see it in theaters. It deserved a wider release as I thought it just got the science right on so many levels. It does drag on and has an exciting culmination but that's what space travel is, isn't it? A real mission would just drag on and on until the destination was reached. People who would enjoy this most are those that yearn for Sci-Fi that doesn't have the typical Hollywood treatment of seeming unreal.
July 10, 2017
"Europa Report" is an intense, scientifically plausible, low budget hard science fiction film which I very much enjoyed. However, the plot has been done several times by authors such as Arthur C. Clarke in "2010: Odyssey II". Likewise, the movie uses commonly used story formulas such as on by one pick offs and technological malfunctions. I regularly see films where the characters miracally beat the odds and survive a near death situation (eg. Gravity, Interstellar, Star Trek) which I am not a fan of. This was not the case in "Europa Report" resulting in extra tension when a problems arose during the film.
July 2, 2017
Refreshing Science Fiction.
June 25, 2017
Very good fictional documentary-like film about a privately funded space mission to seek life on Europa, one of Jupiter's moons. Europa is purported to have a ocean underneath its icy crust where scientists speculate that there may be some form of life.
June 3, 2017
With a mold-breaking style, "Europa Report" is a new approach to old sci-fi tropes.
May 20, 2017
A realistic science fiction movie with a strong story, remarkable acting, beautiful footage of the exploration. Follows the science fiction tradition of outstanding movies like A Space Odyssey and Moon meeting The Blair Witch.
½ April 24, 2017
Such a ginormous plot hole that nobody seems to pick up on!
[SPOILERS - SORT OF]
They land on the moon, do some tests, a solar flare hits and they lose comms on the main module WHICH IS NOT ON THE MOON. They somehow space walk from the moon(?) to repair the comms and then are back on the moon again after this part is over??? What the hell is going on?
Apart from this and other typical Hollywood type mistakes it was an OK film.
April 24, 2017
Very boring. Just dragged out showing characters that were hard to care about. don't waste your time, watch star trek.
April 4, 2017
"Europa Report" has its positives but it has several flaws which bring it down to a predictable and mediocre sci-fi flick.

This is about 6 astronauts on a mission to the moon "Europa" to look for life. As the mission continues on, it proves to be increasingly difficult as the crew members are put through difficult situations.

There are aspects to this that I like. Firstly, I usually dislike found-footage. I feel that it's lazy but this film handles it so well that I didn't even notice it. Also, this movie was running on a tight budget which is understandable why this film did use found-footage so I can forgive that.

Also, this movie is actually kind of realistic in terms of scientific accuracy. Scientists theorize that "Europa" is covered in ice with a center made of water. So the science presented in this movie is actually fairly accurate. It's always nice to see a science fiction film display accuracy and I liked it.

But the acting is really hit or miss. It's not completely terrible but it's not anything special which starts to bring me into its flaws.

My first issue with the film is that the movie has no character development. It isn't always necessary to have character development but this movie didn't even give personality or mood to any of the characters. They felt so much like empty shells that I could care less whether which ones lived and which ones died.

There was another thing I didn't like about the characters. At first, I didn't know how to word it but another reviewer hit the nail on the head when he said that the crew members were pretty much deficient. One crew member after another kept on screwing up adding extra drama to the movie. Some old science fiction movies may not have gotten their science right but the crews were more professional. The drama came from other sources.

I've seen some people say that they loved the cgi in this movie but I didn't like it at all. The shots of "Europa" looked like they were from some low budget video-game. I could tell they were fake and they weren't very believable. They looked highly outdated for 2013.

I'm not going to spoil the ending but it's really thin and not enough is explained. The ending just makes people go "Huh?" and try to google up some theory. The movie ripped off a lot from "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "The Abyss" also. Also, this movie failed to keep my attention. I found myself checking my watch several times during it. The movie picked up near the end but the rest of it was very bland.

So in conclusion, this movie is just mediocre. It's not absolutely horrible like some sci-fi movies but it's very flawed. It's quite a shame too because this really could have been a truly amazing cult-classic but it's ultimately weighed down by numerous flaws.
March 20, 2017
A solid slow-burn found footage entry with good acting. The desolate atmosphere of deep space was executed very well. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a boring movie at times, but tension filled the space around me and plenty of frightening imagery towards the end made this satisfying, if only barely
½ March 13, 2017
While Europa Report is somewhat original and very interesting in premise, it is not engaging, it is predictable, and therefore it does not achieve a status above mediocrity. Also, for a movie that is supposed to put the "science back into science fiction" it does very little to explain why the creature evolved an ability to melt the ice above it and take down its "prey". The surface of the moon is frozen and desolate by all accounts we're given... so what is the point of a predator's ability to access it?