The Firefly Reviews

• Jan 24, 2015

Lavish MGM operetta drags on and on, but Jeanette sings "Sympathy" and Jones steals the show with "The Donkey Serenade."

• Sep 06, 2012

Jeanette MacDonald plays Nina Maria, a vivacious singer who has captured the hearts of all the men in colonial Spain and France during the time of Napoleon. The secret of Nina is that she is a sort of spy who is attracting French officers to get information about Napoleons plans to invade Spain. As she is trying to dissuade a French officer to go on to the next one she kisses a Spanish gentleman who becomes enamored with her and follows her to her next mission, to sing for a large group of French officers in Vitoria. He interferes with her plans on getting information from a French Colonel. Jeanette lights up a room with her voice and her dazzling smile, which has to be one of the best in the history of film. But there is deceit as the Spanish gentleman is actually a French spy and they have suspected Nina for some time and they are out to catch her. But she is smart enough to realize that she is a suspect and does not fall into their plan. Napoleon does take over Spain and with the help of the English there is war. Toward the end of the war Nina is asked to go undercover as a gypsy behind French lines where she meets up with Colonel who is now in charge of the army. She gets caught and meets up again with Captain Andrea (Allen Jones). She fools both of them into changing their battle plans for Spanish victory. It gets a little ridiculous as she sings while in jail as the town is being shelled.

• Aug 27, 2012

another sparkling macdonald MGM musical

another sparkling macdonald MGM musical

• Jun 29, 2010

sorry have 2 use the pun macdonald lights up the screen

sorry have 2 use the pun macdonald lights up the screen

• Jul 21, 2008

Pretty much nobody has seen this musical. And I think I know why. It's hard to watch a movie when Jeanette MacDonald is in the arms of a man besides Nelson Eddy but watch it I did. And I will say it and say it again, " This musical touched my heart and left me wanting to see it again." Sure it's not Nelson Eddy. But Allen Jones is cool too. This is the ONLY movie I've seen with the man so I don't have a lot of proof when it comes to his coolness meter. Allen Jones was ever so much the hero in my eyes at the end of the film and I am very picky about my heroes. The story was very badly filmed. Boosting Jeanette's singing rep might have been the reason why the story happens at the end of the film- because the first of the film is all singing. The songs make up for that though. The Donkey Serenade. Never expected such a bouncy, un-operatic song to me in a Jeanette MacDonald film. Of course, Jones was the one singing it. The romance number Jones sings to MacDonald near the middle of the film (it's the one in the garden, it's name escapes me), was beautiful. If I enjoyed Opera, I would never mind if a lover sang that song to me. And what intrigue! Jeanette MacDonald, a spy. That doesn't happen everyday. An inspiring story that I wish everyone knew about.

• Dec 16, 2007

Allan Jones and Jeanette Macdonald are at their best in their only starring role!

• May 27, 2007

Everyone should see this movie! It is an amazing story. The music will be remembered.

• Apr 07, 2007

Love this movie Allan Jones and Jeanette Macdonald are wonderful in their only starring role together!!!!!!!!!!!