Flashdance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flashdance Reviews

August 15, 2016
Pittsburgh steel workers dreams of being a ballet dancer while she moonlights at a local bar as a dancer.
June 9, 2016
Most of the film is women dancing in scantily clad 80s outfits and a strong performance by Beal. It's fun, and it's a cult classic, but don't expect much in the way of substance.
April 27, 2016
33%? That's ridiculous. This is a fabulous movie with very good acting and an intriguing story, not to mention some gorgeous, groundbreaking cinematography and styles. Further proof that "professional" critics are self-loving morons.
½ April 1, 2016
"Flashdance" from 1983 is a poor movie. To me it seems just like a bunch of music videos played after each other, and the already plain story obviously suffers from this. Jennifer Beals stars as Alex Owens, a working-class girl working as a welder during the day and as a dancer each night. Her dream is to obtain a place in a prestigious dance school. One night her boss at the steel mill, Nick, (Michael Nouri) sees her dancing in the club, and he immediately becomes attracted to her. You can probably guess the rest of the movie yourself, thats how predictable and "seen-before" it is.I can see why the feature is loved by someone though; I found Beals charming as Alex and Nouri quite alright as Nick and I loved the soundtrack, which is amazing and got a well earned Oscar. It doesn't hurt with beautiful and sexy leads, 80's spirit, music and dancing either. A typical teen-movie.
March 10, 2016
Classic dance movie. I would love to see a remake of this movie. It shows what happens when you believe in yourself.
February 20, 2016
How did I not review this when we watched it? So bad, so amusing, so '80s, so Flashdance.
½ February 1, 2016
One of the best '80s dance movies. Better than both "Footloose" and the wretched "Dirty Dancing".
½ January 15, 2016
80's movie about image isn't half bad!
½ November 26, 2015
Beals has talent and charisma but she cannot save a paper-thin plot (full of unnecessary scenes and secondary characters) that is only an excuse for a long series of music video scenes, and the upbeat last dance scene is only there to leave us with a satisfied heart.
October 31, 2015
I did like flashdance a film where Jennifer Beals plays a welder and a dancer at a nightclub and has an ambition to dance school I thought beals could really strut her stuff plus it has a very good sound track
½ August 29, 2015
Montages! A soundtrack! A vague semblance of a plot! Yuck. So many movies have done the "working class kid has one dream and does everything for it" story better (Rocky, Billy Elliott, Rudy, even Saturday Night Fever...). Shows a flash (ha) of promise in its third act, but overall a randomly assembled compilation of music videos might appear to tell a more fulfilling story... not plausible, and doesn't allow you suspend your disbelief. A product of Reagan Era myth-making that should be forgotten long before it will be.
August 25, 2015
I have been meaning to see this for a little while now. Jennifer Beals is really lovable and captivating as Alex. The movie overall was, eh... okay. Not quite what I was expecting, but not entirely disappointing either. Worth seeing because it is sort of a classic dance movie.
August 24, 2015
its a great 80's movie the dancing part was kindof cheesey in a way however
August 12, 2015
Flashdance compensates for it's thin script with hot dancing, soundtrack and pretty faces, enough to help the film's grand style overcome it's lack of substance.
July 6, 2015
Not bad ... Very 80s
½ May 4, 2015
There are four important seeds that drive Flashdance: 1. Adrian Lyne: He was clearly very ambitious in that, while he knew that the plot wasn't much - that's why he turned down the movie 3 times (as he states in an interview in the movie extras) - he accepted the movie in the end because he felt he could do something exciting with the many dance scenes - and he was right. 2. Jennifer Beals: Beals has shown a number of times since Flashdance that she is quite an actress, along with being a beautiful, appealing and sweet presence in front of the camera. Lyne had it down to four women in auditions and chose quite wisely. Beals' unique charisma is the heart and soul of this film. 3. The music: They got very lucky with the soundtrack, which stood up well on its own, let alone in context with the film. 4. The 80's themselves: This film sits well in the cannon of 80's romantic / comedic / youth-oriented films. The 80's did that particular genre better than any other decade and this film is very much an 80's film, and I mean that with complete affection. You can't get your arms around 80's pop culture without seeing a set of core films that helped define that fun and now classic culture. This film is one of those. It may fall flat under a serious critic's gaze - but anyone that just wants to laugh or feel or just enjoy, knows that this film (allowing for more than a little suspension of disbelief of course) delivers.
½ March 20, 2015
una clara inspiración para todas las películas de baile de los 80s, con secuencias de baile llamativas y con el estilo de Jennifer Beals que les da un toque excepcional, pero a pesar de la genialidad del baile el guion carece por mucho se sustancia
March 20, 2015
Let's be real. "Flashdance" is bad, yet entertainingly so. Though Jennifer Beals is an appealing leading lady, there's not much of a story here, and anything that is there is formulaic. But this is an 80's movie, and "Flashdance" works best when it kicks its music and its dancing into gear. The songs are truly memorable (Irene Cara's Oscar-winning title song is unforgettable) and the choreography by Jeffrey Hornaday is energetic and enjoyable (even though Beals doesn't do her own dancing in the film). Overall, this one gets points for its 80's cheese, its soundtrack, its choreography, and Jennifer Beals' sympathetic heroine.
March 2, 2015
Impressive dance sequences and striking cinematography make it an easily iconic visual piece but Flashdance has too little plot to back it up though Jennifer Beals tries her best.
½ February 8, 2015
If Flashdance had spent just a little more effort getting to know the heroine of its story, and a little less time trying to rip off "Saturday Night Fever," it might have been a much better film.