Frailty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frailty Reviews

½ November 16, 2016
A well executed movie that will keep you engaged and give you more than a couple of twists.
½ October 6, 2016
Well executed, well acted, well directed, tense thriller. An interesting take on the "killing in the name of God" theme. Cleverly avoids alienating Christians and non Christians alike by taking a slightly warped but objective view of this dark subject matter.
½ October 3, 2016
This movie had such an obvious Usual Suspects feeling that I pretty much knew what was going to happen about a 1/3 through the film. McConaughey was effective in the lead role and Bill Paxton did a great job playing an unhinged religious father. As far as if this is worth a watch? Game over, man. Game over.
October 2, 2016
how is Paxton not directing more
between this and greatest game ever played he has shown great skill
½ September 27, 2016
An accomplished simple little tale
September 23, 2016
Great movie watch and judge for yourself
August 24, 2016
How have I missed this till now? Paxton, McConaughey and Powers Boothe? Awesome.
½ August 9, 2016
-Semi spoiler-
I can't stand movies that leave you with no one to root for at the end. And I actually didn't enjoy most of the performances, aside from Matthew McConaughey's.
½ July 12, 2016
Bill Paxton's directional debut is immediately effective and genuinely disturbing. McConaughey, O'Leary, Sumpter and Paxton himself (both in front and behind the camera) make this film a memorable and exciting experience. One of the better horror films of the 21st century.
½ May 25, 2016
In general, nothing's wrong with this emotional movie. Music, plot, and storyboard keenly ordered. The cast is not that bad, even the kids has a good role on this movie.
½ May 22, 2016
Very creepy. Some parts were a little cheesy and unbelievable, but it was good otherwise.
½ May 22, 2016
Excellent! Creepy and spine-tingling. Violent but never gory. This film relies on suspense and story over scares. And the ending was not quite what I expected. High brow horror.
May 15, 2016
Original & effective. In our time of 900 sequels released each week, "Frailty" is a good catch. The concept is clever and it is a nice ride from start to finish. Bill Paxton, I'll admit, was pretty lame but he usually is. Matthew McConaughey was much better in this than he usually is, on the other hand.
½ May 12, 2016
A really good thriller that must be watched to completion before you can judge it appropriately. The film does a great job of putting the right actors in the right situations, leading to a film that's literally mysterious/suspenseful, and literally captivating. These adjectives get thrown around a lot in reviews, and far too often they're abhorrently inaccurate. But Frailty really succeeds bc Paxton (in his directorial debut) does an incredible job of getting the most of out of his resources. Many of the ingredients aren't top shelf to begin with, but he blends them together to create something cool/different.
Imho the film does a great job of accomplishing it's storytelling by switching between the past and the present (that's not a spoiler). A classic case of making 1+1 = 3 (vs the story being told in chronological order).

The one negative that stood was the score. It's the only aspect of the movie that's bland. If the music/sound effects were improved, the movie would've easily been a 4*.
½ May 12, 2016
"Frailty" is a fantastic thriller starring Bill Paxton and the narration of Matthew McConaughey about an extremely religious father who teaches his children his insane habit. If you are in the mood for a contained, moody thriller from the early 2000s, definitely check out this overlooked gem. 7.4/10
April 15, 2016
Frailty is a cult classic and one of the best horror films in the past 20 years.
½ March 19, 2016
The rare horror film that is more disturbing on subsequent viewings.
February 14, 2016
Though I take issue with the third act, the movie is taut and compelling for its short duration.
February 6, 2016
Brilliant. Bill Paxton did a phenomenal job both acting and directing. Like the TV show Supernatural, but more realistic and darker.
January 26, 2016
this show... every time it's on I got to watch it again.... great acting great story line great plot and great outcome. great murder mystery.....