Frailty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frailty Reviews

August 19, 2017
Outcome was a little too predictable.
½ August 6, 2017
Quinticintual early McCaunaghey. Also probably my favorite Bill Paxton film. Fun, freaky, and more twists than M. Night Shamalahn at a yogurt dispenser.
June 23, 2017
disturbing. Don't watch!
June 11, 2017
This was a really good thriller. It had me wondering the entire time, is the dad just insane, or is he actually seeing visions and killing demons? The end has a great twist. The acting was good for the most part. The quality on Netflix is not HD at all, but it wasn't bothersome. I don't feel the need to buy it but I would watch it again.
May 26, 2017
Frailty is a well-crafted thriller about a man who tells his sons that he has a mission from God to kill demons masquerading as humans. It?s a very dark tale, and I was impressed by the twists and turns it took. The framing device used for the story (since most it is told in flashback) works well. I like McConaughey?s mysterious line delivery narrating the tale, because he sets the tone almost like someone telling a ghost story. I was a bit let down that the final twist was made so obvious (to the point that it was actually one of the ideas I had in the first 30 minutes of the film.) Perhaps that?s just a symptom of having seen too many movies and TV shows, so I can see that kind of thing coming. I also was a tad annoyed at how stereotypically dumb certain characters behaved, to the point of falling into multiple horror movie cliches. None of the flaws ruined Frailty for me, though. It?s a thrilling story and I genuinely couldn?t look away. And that ending puts you in an interesting place as a viewer where you start to wonder how you want the story to end. This feels like the kind of movie that should have been huge at the box office because of the big stars, and the excellent story. Perhaps the terribly ambiguous title held it back from grabbing the attention of the audience. For me, it?s one I might watch again soon because I enjoyed it that much.
May 24, 2017
My First Feature-Length Film Will Be Called ''True Crime''.
May 7, 2017
This film is proof that Matthew McConaughey is a great actor. True we'll-rounded horror without the cheap scares.
½ April 24, 2017
Excellent film. This is an absolute gem.
½ April 2, 2017
A big let down, I decided to watch this film after friends bragged about how great it was. What a huge disappointment! Bill Paxton is great but I spent the entire time waiting for a climax that NEVER happened.
March 31, 2017
Frailty is not only ABOUT dogmatic religion, but actually sort of imitates dogmatic religion. The mystery, which piles red herrings on top of red herrings, leaves us knowing both more and less as the story is grippingly revealed. Paxton directs with calm assuredness, and he casts himself and everyone else perfectly. A really cool suspense story about proof, fatherhood, mental illness, authority & fanaticism.
½ March 27, 2017
We gave this one another look the other day and I'm pleased to see how well it holds up, even knowing the various twists the story takes. Hell, Matthew McConaughey as a creepy Texan with a disturbing story to tell us? Probably not much of a stretch, but man is it entertaining. I love the various timelines, filling in the gaps from the tales of the lead a s a boy up into the present day, it all pulls togetehr very well.

Recommended.
March 26, 2017
watching a dad go crazy
½ March 20, 2017
A very strong premise and great first two thirds of a film make this must watch for any horror/thriller fan. A truly engaging film that is only hurt by an ending that tries to be too clever.
March 18, 2017
Psychotic serial killing father trains his kids to "follow god" by killing.
March 17, 2017
The story is better than the execution of the movie. Last 20 min has good reveals.
March 15, 2017
Three words come to mind while watching this. MADE FOR TV.
½ March 15, 2017
Frailty is a dark and unsettling horror film that clings to viewers bones long after it's over. Great direction and an even more impressive performance from Bill Paxton.
this is a great movie
February 26, 2017
Directed by Bill ("Game Over, Man!") Paxton, Frailty remains a personal favorite of mine. An unsettling, original, and intelligent horror film, Frailty explores the delusions that can attend religious fundamentalism, the dark influence that parents can wield over children, and the ways in which innocence can be perverted. But Frailty also perfectly rides the line of ambiguity between acts of God and psychosis. Unlike any other horror film you have ever seen, Frailty is stylish, well-acted, and genuinely disturbing; A must see for any true horror fan....
February 26, 2017
Such a fantastic, underrated thriller. Man, I'm gonna miss Paxton...