Friday the 13th - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Reviews

October 23, 2016
With a visceral, fierce portrayal of Jason, this movie takes Jason back to his terrifying roots.
October 23, 2016
I've watched this many many times. One of my favourite because it's entertaining and has everything. It's like Jason meets Rambo. It's an action movie more than anything else
October 16, 2016
The remake of Friday The 13th is your typical remake, especially for a classic horror film. You have graphic violence and nudity, drug use, and everything you should expect. Being a little bit more intense than the original, it's not perfect, and it's not that tension building like the original either, which is something you should expect. Again, not amazing, but perfectly watchable and enjoyable.
½ August 13, 2016
Two words. Bad, ugly. This remake is both.
August 5, 2016
First and foremost, I am not a teenybopper or an add afflicted Mtv junkie or any of the other things that "true Friday" fans think are the only people who like this film. I've been a fan of the series since I was 9 or 10yrs old, and have all the films and consider myself to be a pretty big fan of the series.

Does that mean I didn't like this film? If you listen to "real fans" you can't call yourself a true fan if you liked which is a little elitist imo. Was the film a masterpiece? No it wasn't, it had it's faults. While the Friday films were never known for great dialogue, this films dialogue made even the most cringeworth dialogue from the other films(part5 f**k you, yeah f**k me in particular) seem Shakespearean in comparison. The characters aren't the best either, but which film had great characters in it? The acting and dialogue is about on par with the rest of the series and who watches these movies for Oscar contenders anyway? I agree the whole taking a prisoner thing was a little hockey but there was a reason why he did so and if you paid attention to the film you'll know that.

Jason runs, well he did run in Parts 2,3&4 as well so it's no biggie. It's surprising that these "real fans" conveniently forget that. Real fans? More like fans of Kane Hodder's Jason(not that I'm criticising Kane, he was great) who did lumber around. This is a different Jason, he doesen't have to mimmick Kane Hodder as awesome as he was in the role.

Is it on the same level as some of the earlier Friday's? No, it's definitely not as great as the first 4, but a lot better than part8.

I wouldn't call this a remake, a remake of which film? The first? Then why isn't it Jason's mom doing the killing? The others? Well if you say that because it has Jason running around killing you could say that all the films are a remake of part2.

And it's not really a reboot like Batman and Bond(which no it's not another word for remake. What's Casino Royale remaking? The 60's comedy?) Perhaps just another entry in the series that's been called a remake because it's called Friday the 13th but in fact it isn't a remake of the first film because the set-up and such isn't even close to the original. Nor is Jason's mother in it save for the very beginning.

But still, not the greatest, but not the worst. And the "true fans"(i.e Friday fanboys and kane hodder fanboys) if you don't like it that's cool, but don't pull this "true fans" nonsense.
½ July 18, 2016
This movie bores the life out of me, I've watched it twice and fell asleep on both occasions, Michael Bay please stop producing classic characters in horror, transformers and teenage mutant ninja turtles are ruined as it is, the acting is awful, certain script points don't make sense, overall this film is boring as hell
July 15, 2016
Not the atrocities that the "Nightmare" and "Halloween" remakes were but it just wasn't entertaining, like a "Friday The 13th" film (remake or not) should be.
July 15, 2016
Friday the 13th remake is a pretty solid remake minus the lack of creative kills. I like how it sums up the first three movies in one, and puts them together pretty well.
July 9, 2016
Friday the 13th is a good looking film, but is basically the same movie we've seen before. Our main character Clay is trying to find his sister, but Jason has kidnapped her because she looks like his mother. It seems very convenient that Jason wouldn't kill this girl so we could have a story. Overall, it's a pointless remake.
½ July 4, 2016
I like the good old fashioned chase that a slow killer gives goofy hot babes. Although this film pulls from the ideas of the classic horror films, it features a lot of torture and not fast killing right out the bat. I don't find the film scary or enjoyable.
July 3, 2016
Es wird wieder gemordet und gemetzelt in Crystal Lake. Denn Jason Voorhees ist zurück!
Lange war es eigentlich her, dass wir den Maskenmörder im Einsatz sahen. Lange galt er auch als ausgestorben. Bis sich Produzent Michael Bay und Regisseur Marcus Nispel sich zusammen taten, um eine Frischzellenkur an dieser Reihe, voranzutreiben. Das Resultat war nicht schlecht!
Sicherlich hat das Remake einige Abschnitte aus den Originalen wieder gegeben. Sonst bleibt das Genre und die Story gleich: Junge und hübsche Teenager verbringen ein Wochenende in Crystal Lake und der Maskenmörder Jason taucht auf, und holt sich einer nach dem anderen. Nur das es in diesem Remake, etwas freizügiger umhergeht. Es wird viel nackte Haut gezeigt, man zelebriert den Drogen- und Alkoholmissbrauch und es wird ohne grosse Vorwarnungen gemeuchelt. Was ich Cool fand, dass Jason diesmal unheimlicher aussieht. Er verfolgt auch seine Opfer schneller, was dabei gefürchteter aussieht.
Sonst ist es ein normaler Horrorfilm von der Stange. Es wird nichts Neues erzählt und man weiss schon Bescheid, wer das nächste Opfer sein soll.
Fazit: Ein gelungenes Remake eines Klassikers. Eigentlich schade, dass man in der Originalreihe, nicht so hätte filmen können. Denn diese Version hat Drive!
June 7, 2016
I particularly like this (just a little bit) better than the A Nightmare On Elm Street remake, and Friday The 13th is actually quite an entertaining horror flick, yet it still has few minor flaws.
½ June 1, 2016
Boring characters are extremely unlikely able directing is okay plots alright don't like the changes they made to Jason overall w pointless remake
May 15, 2016
One star for the beginning of the movie - it actually wasn't that bad. Funny and decent acting and some cool deaths. Then it all goes downhill. Fast. After the 1st 20 minutes, the remaining hour is boring & slow with all genuinely unlikeable characters (including Jason, who somehow manages to make it from the woods to the TOP of a house in 3 seconds flat, in one of the movies most laughable moments) and I just wanted it to end. The original was awful, this one's awful, put this series to sleep!!
May 9, 2016
This was the only way you could possibly make anymore Friday 13th movies (Not counting Freddy Vs Jason) And I don't know if it's just because it's more up to date but I enjoyed this more than any of the previous Friday 13th movies, The formula is the same Derek Mears plays a great Jason, He's more faster, More agile and a bigger threat because of them reasons, The film comes to a predictable ending but the it's entertaining enough to please old fans and maybe start up a new fanbase too.
May 8, 2016
When I first heard a Friday the 13th remake was in production it seemed like a grim prospect. Considering the streak of nearly unwatchable garbage New Line had already contributed to this franchise (and the news that the remake would be a Michael Bay production) I was certain this would be another misguided disappointment. Perhaps after watching all these movies my mind has finally snapped but, much to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it.

Friday the 13th is principally a reimagining of Part 2 that incorporates elements of the first four films. In this way it's a best-of-both-worlds remake taking us from the death of Mrs. Voorhees (Part 1) to the discovery of the hockey mask (Part 3) in a few easy steps. It begins with two prelude sequences setting up the main action of the film, one of Mrs. Voorhees being decapitated and the other of the hooded adult Jason (a la Part 2) being introduced. These intros successfully establish the Jason character but are tainted by raunchy, forced dialogue and unappealing characters. It's odd that these sequences feature such bad writing while the main film is pretty well constructed.

The main section of the film begins, as many do, with a group of well-meaning youths heading towards the camp. These are a typically unremarkable bunch gearing up for a stimulating weekend of partying at a nearby lake house. While gassing up their Escalade (they deserve to die already) they run into Clay, an homage to the Rob character from The Final Chapter, who is looking for his missing sister. This scene reveals how very archetypal our new shipment of teen veal are; blonde party girls, potheads, nerds, cocky assholes - collect the whole set! Despite the cliched characters I'm pleased that the dialogue and performances of the cast are both considerable upgrades over past films.

One of my favorite things about Friday the 13th is that the audience never sees Camp Crystal Lake open for business. We first encounter it during the second prelude and find that the camp has been closed for years and is now a dilapidated labyrinth occupied by our favorite recluse. Another huge improvement is Derek Mears as Jason who returns a degree of patient menace to the character. Serious kudos are due to the filmmakers for making Jason scary again, it's the first time since 1988 that he inspired any sort of dread for the viewer.

In addition to commending Friday the 13th for its many improvements I must also say that it's more of the same. Again, you know what to expect with a Friday film so these sequels must be judged by their particular nuances and execution. This one scores points with me for integrating several Classic Era film elements and returning the series to Camp Crystal Lake where it belongs. Regardless of its imperfections Friday the 13th feels like a project written by people who understood the roots of the franchise and producers who executed it with some level of care. This makes me more than willing to overlook the film's lesser points.

As a lifelong fan of these movies all I'm looking for in a sequel is something that doesn't take itself too seriously but still attempts to generate suspense and scares. Most of the later films made the mistake of reinventing the rules every time out and that's not what fans are looking for. A quick tip for future Friday writers and directors: please keep Jason away from Freddy Krueger, New York City, and outer space. The lights need to stay on at Camp Crystal Lake and a steady stream of energetic, inadequately compensated young actors should be pouring onto the grounds at all times. Just keep things simple, have some fun and, above all else, respect your audience. I promise you we'll keep coming back if you do.
April 16, 2016
It was not original, yet it managed to be an imaginative vision of an unsettling story of a classic slasher-film. It happened to be extremely intense, and had a few scares up it's sleeve. I would give it five stars, but it involved a little too much private parts. And yes, I regard those scenes as demerits.
April 15, 2016
The opening 25-minute sequence feels like the Friday the 13th formula perfected. If only the main story were as good... Regardless, the F13 remake is great for fans of gruesome kills, gratuitous sex, and lots and lots of blood.
April 10, 2016
As a long standing fan of the franchise, I really enjoyed the reboot and I'm bummed out that another reboot is on its way...while I can't comment on what's coming, it's too bad that this story won't continue.
March 25, 2016
Seems like throughout the movie anytime anyone winds up around the marijuana plants Jason kills them. I'm guessing he is really a drug dealer with a bad face.