Get On Up Reviews

• Mar 22, 2021

Not perfect but darn close to it. A very human James Brown was portrayed well and the music was toe-tapping.

• Mar 15, 2021

The man was put here to move asses in seats and even beyond the grave in a biopic , Brown does just that. I enjoyed taking a peek behind the godfather of hip-hop's life to glimpse how he handled business, how he handled his friends , his ego. James Brown was a man who had cake and wanted to eat every piece of it too. Such a decision landed him in correctional facilities, led to the man having multiple falling outs with his day one's and the women who carried his children. With enough moments to make one feel as if they are attending a James Brown concert , and certainly not shying away from the abuse that Brown suffered and doled out throughout his life , "Get On Up" is an entertainer's life lived , allowing one more shot to entertain audiences , and it's non-linear narrative, it succeeds. - Audiomack.com/cvrthebard

• Mar 05, 2021

Chadwick Boseman's performance will go down as the quintessential portrayal of James Brown.

• Feb 28, 2021

It's one of the rare movies that I wish went on longer than it did. Chadwick Boseman stole the show as James Brown and I could have watched several more hours of his performance.

• Jan 20, 2021

As electric (per usual) as Chadwick's performance is, the film unfortunately passes over James Brown's iconic "Hot Tub" entirely.

• Jan 17, 2021

Boseman's incredible acting and the non-linear timeline made the movie less cheesy than most music bios. Some of the timeline jumps just came across a little uneven.

• Jan 11, 2021

Get on up is a nicely rounded made film that shows the enigmatic personality of James Brown and his child hood upbringing and rise to fame, more importantly, it features Chadwick Boseman's acting Chops.

• Jan 04, 2021

Fantastic job by Boseman. Interesting story.

Fantastic job by Boseman. Interesting story.

• Oct 25, 2020

Chadwick Boseman is terrific, but 'Get on Up' is missing something that would make it a great biopic. I still very much enjoyed it, I always tend to find biographical films interesting - especially when I don't know too much about the person(s) in question, as is the case with James Brown here; I've always known of him and his major songs, but that's about it. Boseman leads strongly, carrying the film really. That's not to say he's alone in terms of the onscreen talent, as there are others who I liked. Dan Aykroyd is solid, while Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis are welcomed cast members. The brilliant Lennie James is also involved, admittedly in a relatively small role. With all that noted, I just felt there was something missing. I can't exactly pinpoint what that is. One of the things I felt from the start was the lack of likeability I had for the lead character, perhaps that was intentional though. The 'breaking the fourth wall' stuff is iffy, too. The 139 run time probably comes into it as well, while the ageing for Boseman & Co. isn't the best I've seen - which isn't good, given the film opens with a scene that requires ageing so it naturally stuck in my memory more. As also mentioned at the top, I didn't come into this knowing all about James Brown and his music/life so that likely plays a part - though I've seen other biopics under similar circumstances and it hasn't affected my enjoyment. There are still other positives, aside from the cast, of course. I actually liked the non-linear structure of how the story is told, while the cinematography is pleasant. The music is also worked in well. All in all, it's a film that I would recommend. It had all the ingredients to be grander though.

• Sep 24, 2020

Two great performances in one role! A look into the life of James Brown worth seeing. I was never bored during this movie; it kept my attention the whole time. The story switched from the past to the present many times which was done well. to give a greater understanding. R.I.P. to both men.