Get On Up Reviews

• Apr 18, 2020

Pure shit. Wish I had brain bleach to sterilize the memories. Weak choreographed performances surrounding cardboard characters built around a crap story line. I wasted time watching this movie and memory space revisiting its horridness. The film got worse with each second. Recommend nobody watch this movie ever.

• Mar 26, 2020

Chadwick Boseman is brilliant as James Brown!

Chadwick Boseman is brilliant as James Brown!

• Jan 01, 2020

Chadwick Boseman was phenomenal. Great movie.

Chadwick Boseman was phenomenal. Great movie.

• Nov 16, 2019

How Boswick not getting an Oscar nod for this one is beyond me. Electrifying performance who gets all the moves right.

• Oct 14, 2019

A great biopic about a larger-than-life figure...Chadwick Boseman IS James Brown in this!!

• Jul 22, 2019

Great film, fantastic acting from Chadwick Bozeman. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed if you're a James brown fan!

• Jul 15, 2018

Kind of long and odd time sequence, but still entertaining.

Kind of long and odd time sequence, but still entertaining.

• Jul 07, 2018

Pacing was off, and it stretched out the movie to an unnecessary, confusing length. Great acting from Chadwick, though it became tedious after so long. Didn't fully feel like I was in James Brown's musical world, though I was in his character. I wish the music could've been displayed differently and less often, with more pop and drama to it. A lot of storylines could've been condensed or cut out entirely.

• Jun 19, 2018

Unusually sequenced and edited, but still powerful, the life story of James Brown could have been much longer than this already-long movie was, but that would have been just fine with me. Chadwick Boseman plays a superb Brown through the intertwining portrayal of Brown's incredible life. Unfortunately, there were two large portions of that life, his teenage years and the last two turbulent decades of his life, that they simply skimmed over out of chronological necessity, I'm assuming. They focused heavily on the music, which was wonderful in and of itself, and not too much of a surprise given that Mick Jagger was a producer of the film, but it certainly would not have hurt the film to cover some of those other formative years in his early and later life. If you are a fan of JB, or just music history in general, few made the impact James Brown did. To watch just some of it unfold onscreen is much better than watching none of it.

• Jan 15, 2018

Chadwick did a fantastic job portraying The Godfather himself, but the film was just decent.