G.I. Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

G.I. Blues Reviews

April 4, 2015
Wow, John Lennon was right "Elvis died when he went into the Army." Elvis lost his swagger, his stage presence and his charm- GI Blues Elvis seems blue and subdued. Flimsy plot, bland music you barely notice, and really no stand out moments. There's simply no appeal, other than Elvis looking as fit as he probably ever will in his life.
February 25, 2015
Great soundtrack but given they had two years to put together an Elvis movie, they should have done much better than this. Mildly entertaining but really is only for Elvis fans.
November 30, 2014
one of the best film. love them all
½ July 9, 2014
Had Some Funny Parts But This Was A Movie You Won't Like.But Did Have Great Music.C+
½ September 29, 2013
In this movie Elvis plays an ex-soldier who finds himself in a bet to woo a hard-to-get woman. He then, of course, truly falls for the woman and regrets there ever was a bet. Where have I seen this tale before? Oh yeah, it's the plot of "Guys and Dolls" (1955), only instead of New York City, we're in Germany. Not the best Elvis Presley movie soundtrack, either. But, if you take it as an Elvis Presley movie, it meets the standard as such. It ranks among "Clambake" (1967), and "Flaming Star" (1960). It's not a serious as "Change of Habit" (1969) or "Love me Tender" (1956), and not the classic that is "Jailhouse Rock" (1957).
July 24, 2013
Like Fun in Acapulco a few years later, G.I Blues is playing in a country outside the US, yet all scenes with the main actors were recorded in front of rear projection screens, and that is really obvious. This Presley vehicle is based on his time as a G.I in Germany, but the story is only second to Presley's dozen of songs, most of all the world famous 'Wooden Heart' 60 %
½ July 1, 2013
Not one of the better Elvis films, although he puts quite a lot of effort into the role which is a cash on on his time spent in the army which preceded this.
½ March 29, 2013
I have to say I liked it more than Jailhouse Rock. It's not as serious, but it's much more fun. The songs are good--but they have nothing to do with the film (which was the case with Jailhouse Rock as well). The dance sequences are long and annoying--and awkward if you're watching with friends or family. I cringed at some of the corny, idiotic parts of the film, but they made me laugh as well. I recommend if you're not looking for a particularly serious Elvis film.
March 16, 2013
A G.I. stationed in West Germany dreams of opening up his own nightclub; to do so he needs cash, so he places a bet that he can spend the night with Lili, a beautiful nightclub dancer with a reputation for being extremely hard to get. The first post army Elvis film is obvious and predictable, as well as being all too easily nothing more than a way to exploit Elvis' image. However, this is one picture that Elvis himself, along with his musical numbers, makes enjoyable at the very least.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
October 18, 2012
Elvis could sing but he wasnt as actor
jjnxn
½ June 4, 2012
Not as good as King Creole nor as flashy as Viva Las Vegas this still falls into the plus category as far as Elvis films go. He has a talented costar in Juliet Prowse and while the script is innocuous it certainly is far better than the slug he would be making just a few years later like Speedway and Harum Scarum. He looks very fetching in his uniform, the songs by and large are pretty good and there are attractive locations. A pleasant diversion.
January 28, 2012
I could quite happily sit through any Elvis film, awful or not. This one isn't awful though, so that's a result!
½ July 23, 2011
0% for what I think is the second best Elvis film? Granted it's not up there with the best in cinematography but I gave it a little credit.
½ May 23, 2011
muzica buna
foarte carismaic si gagicar in filmu asta
½ May 4, 2011
Not really one of my Elvis favorites but its still okay.
½ January 16, 2011
In the army and still making movies.
November 20, 2010
An entertaining tale, even though it was made for Elvis's return to civilian life.
½ October 1, 2010
My personal favorite of all the Elvis films, I saw this first run with my parents. Can you imagine? My folks who rarely went to see any movie, exept for South Pacific, actually took me to see this! Kowabunga!

Well, I bought the soundtrack years later and got all weepy about it. The soundtrack was the best part anyway, for me.
Juliet Prowse was the long legged romancer at the time.

Ah sweet youth, those days were really innocent and came before the Beatles, JFK's assassination, the Vietnam War and all the nasty 60's problems.

Take a peek at what passed for entertainment back then. But forget the critical eye, the reviewer's mind set. This is GI Blues man!
September 25, 2010
Gives me the blues watching it...