Glitter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Glitter Reviews

July 24, 2007
Mariah Carey = super cliche movie.
½ September 4, 2007
When I worked at a video story we kept this film in the horror section. Nuff Said.
November 7, 2006
Pretty lame.
Nate Z.
½ February 24, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]It must be seen to be believed. A new college crap-fest drinking game has begun. Begin the 'Glitter' midnight shows! A new age is upon us! Forget the BC/AD time change, this is larger. Our land will now be known in two segments of time, Before 'Glitter' and After 'Glitter'. It truly is the dawn of a new age. Here are a few handful of 'Glitter's bon-mots it serves up to its audience :[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]-Mariah Carrey is shown leaving her real mom (black mom too) at age 8 with her kitten. Somewhere through 'Glitter' she has a fight with her boyfriend and takes her cat (yes the very same immortal cat that must have been pushing 20) and leaves.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]-She has a fight with said boyfriend and they both try and write a love song to show their remorse. Except they BOTH come up with the EXACT same song word for word, note for note, and NO ONE thinks this is the creepiest thing ever.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]-The movie freakin' ends with Carrey's boyfriend getting shot and killed. Yes, this is truly how the thing ends. Oh, like any of you cared about plot spoilers anyway.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]-Da Brat is in it for "comic relief."[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#8b0000][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#8b0000]-The movie is inexplicably set in the 1980s for no reason.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]No wonder Carrey was shipped into the Looney bin. Anyone would have to be crazy thinking 'Glitter' ever remotely resembled art. It's so bad it's awesome to watch. Bring some friends over, open up some alcohol, and let the fun times begin.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: F, like it matters though[/color][/font]
½ July 3, 2007
The oppostie of the title.
½ April 13, 2015
If I can sit down to watch a musical and just laugh (unintentionally), I think Glitter will be it.

The story of a gifted young singer, Billie Frank (Mariah Carey), who overcomes a turbulent childhood and struggles to find her true identity and voice. During her childhood, Billie is abandoned by her drug-addicted mother and is remanded to an orphanage. Years later, Billie is discovered by charismatic, irresistible "bad boy" DJ Julian Dice (Max Beesley) who hears her demo and, floored by her talent, gets her a record deal. She soon falls for him and he becomes her partner, producer and lover. With Dice, she begins an exciting but often volatile and precarious journey as she struggles through her personal and professional life, riding the roller coaster to superstardom. However, conflicts with Dice hold her back and she ultimately must begin to escape his influence and find her own style.

It is so rare that a movie like Glitter fails on every level-- from the acting, to the writing, to the directing, to.... well, you name it. Everything in Glitter is so amateur that makes me think that this should went straight to VH1, MTV, or maybe Lifetime-- expect I think that those channels have better acting, writing, and direction than Glitter. Not only was the movie amateur, it is also cliched. Watching it was thinking "WOW, I have seen this before but in better movies."

The romance between Carey and Beesley is so unbelievable that I didn't see them as a couple. Not only is it unbelievable but it is very implausible. I really didn't care nor buy their romance as the movie went on.

The acting in Glitter is so bad that it makes the acting in Showgirls look good by comparison. However, Showgirls is so bad it's good. However, Glitter on the other hand is not. But, I will say that to Glitter's credit, you can not watch the film by yourself. However, it does not mean that it's so bad it's good.

The best thing about this film called Glitter is obviously when Carey is singing. Everyone is or was dumping on the soundtrack but it wasn't that bad to be honest. However, it was not a perfect or "oh my god, I have to buy this soundtrack and put it on my iTunes." When Carey sings, it is amazing to hear. And the music is decent to hear too.

Glitter is so bad that Carey herself had a meltdown. She apparently blamed the 9/11 attacks when the movie came out. Truth be told, the film failed critically and financially, having a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes and earning back about 4 million over its 22 million (I think). Come on, lets be honest here, we all know the truth. The truth is that Glitter sucks on every level-- with the exception of the music and Carey singing. I understand that it wasn't Mariah's fault that the movie failed. However, I think that she should stick to singing or maybe sticking to supporting roles like her role in the movie Precious (which is a better movie or maybe a better step for Ms. Carey).

If you want to watch a musical and be entertain, Glitter isn't it. However, if you want to laugh and have a drinking game then you knock yourself out (what I meant about that is you should watch it if you are drunk. Other than that, you should skip this dud and watch some Mariah Carey music videos instead. Oh, did I forget to mention that this film is set in the 80s for no reason. Wow, filmmakers, you really tried it.
January 31, 2015
Glitter fails as Mariah Carrey?s star vehicle being a farrago of threadbare banality leaving it completely hollow, pointless, and surprisingly boring.
July 4, 2014
I LOVE THIS MOVIE MARIAH CAREY IS THE BEST IN EVERYTHING I LOVE HERRRRRR SOOOOOPP MUCH I LOOK UP TO HER ALOT AND WANT TO BE LIKE HER.....#lambily4life
March 13, 2014
I really don't care what anyone says. I love this movie. I thought the storyline was great, Mariah's acting skills are excellent and the best part about the movie is her vocals. The soundtrack is epic.
½ August 3, 2013
This is the 11th film I reviewed and the first to literally give me a headache. A lot of the critics who have reviewed this film use the word Cliché a lot and understandably so. "Glitter" is not only formulaic, but also has horrible acting and dreadful writing. So.. let's dive into this worthless excuse for a film. I think it's necessary to take your headache medicine first before you go on reading this review.

The story in "Glitter" is very simple. A singer named Billie Frank (Mariah Carey) is trying to make it in the music industry with the help of her dumb ass boyfriend named Julian Dice (Max Beesley) and some support from her equally annoying friends. And.... that's it. Billie faces no real obstacles or challenges to get to her goal. All she does is get into these pointless arguments with her producer and boyfriend Dice. Also I need to mention Julian Dice is probably one of the most annoying and idiotic characters I ever seen. To put it simply, he himself is a clichéd and stereotypical idiot. He starts out very supportive of Billie, but as soon as she starts getting famous (what a shock) he starts to get really jealous. This is of course following that stereotypical story formula of the boyfriend not being really famous and somehow his girlfriend gets all the attention. If that weren't enough, Billie and Dice get into these pointless arguments that I really didn't care about. Simply because the both of them were acting more like children than adults. I won't go too much into Billie's friends Roxanne and Louise because they have no real point in the film besides being really lame comic relief.

Of course, the acting in this film is down right terrible, but sometimes has unintentional comedy. I mean whenever Mariah Carey tries to "act" serious, I started laughing. I laughed because I knew she wasn't really taking this role seriously. She was mainly playing herself and it clearly shows. Again, Max Beesley's character was horrible in every sense of the word. He's poorly acted and frankly whenever he was on screen I wanted to punch him in the face. I also found strange Terrence Howard was in this film, I mean I am not sure how great an actor he really is but surely he must be better than this.

Even though this film was nominated for 6 Razzie Awards, it only won one. Of course, Mariah Carey won Worst Actress. I do think the award is well deserved, but I really would've liked Max Beesley to have won Worst Supporting Actor. Not only was his character annoying and stupid to no end, but his acting was particularly bad here. I might even say this movie should've won Worst Picture, then again I haven't seen "Freddy Got Fingered".

To finally end this review, there is only one word to describe this film. It's the same word I used when I reviewed Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star... pointless. We all know what this film was, a vehicle for Mariah Carey to become an actress. Obviously, this vehicle ran out of gas very quickly. The film is clichéd, the acting is truly awful with unintentional comedy, the story has no surprises and there really is on direction or writing talent. Take my Advice, stay away from this picture. After reviewing this movie, I only have one question... why is this movie even called "Glitter"?
½ February 6, 2013
Astonishingly bad, even if you are a Mariah fan, which I am not. Avoid. You cannot get the time back.
January 3, 2013
Glitter is a collection of a tired, dated storyline, bad dialogue, awkward performances and bad direction. Mariah Carey stars as Billie, in this rags to riches story who is discovered by a hunky JD(Max Beesley, who's Brooklyn accent faulters.)as she is a backup singer for Slyk(Padma Laksmi, who is a dead ringer for former Prince protege Apollonia.)as her star ascents, his declines(so A Star is Born.)directed by Vondie Curtis-Hall who uses too many flash cuts of New York streets it gets old fast, and what is suppposed to be dramatic and emotional comes across as superficial and laughable. Carey does what she can but no real actress can do justice to this film and it's shortcomings.
January 8, 2012
It's not the complete disaster some make it out to be, but I'm not saying that it is anywhere close to being good. There are points where this is actually entertaining, but really any good memories from this movie are overshadowed by ones that are simply pathetic. The bottom line is that Mariah Carey is NOT a good actress and the only reason I don't give this movie 0 stars is because...actually I don't know why I give it this "high" of a score.
January 7, 2012
While Glitter is not my favorite Terrence Howard movie, it is certainly my favorite Mariah Carey movie.
½ January 6, 2012
Honestly Mariah didn't do any w o r s e than Whitney. Don't dust off the Oscar noms but... not as bad as the bad press might lead you to think. A smarmy rags-to-riches story. Ms. Scarey didn't look it at all. She looked and sounded flawless.
½ September 28, 2009
If you're a fan of bad acting, or are the most obsessive Mariah Carey fan in the world, this is for you. Otherwise, don't bother.
April 2, 2010
I totally get how everyone thinks this movie is absolutely horrible. However, I don't share everyone's opinion. I thought this movie was below-average, but definitely not one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And Mariah Carey, while obviously self-obsessed, was not that bad.
½ February 16, 2010
one of the dumbest movies ever...Ms. Carey should stick to music, thats really all she can remotely do.
December 29, 2009
*1/2 (out of four)

Is this really as bad as you've heard?...Yes...pretty much, but it is a bit like a train wreck. It's hard not to watch the carnage.

The plot is about as you'd expect. Mariah Carey plays Billie Frank a girl who wants to be a star! She gets a job as a backup singer but when the DJ hears hears her incredible voice her brings her into the studio and then the pressures of success take their toll.

This film and Carey's acting almost destroyed Carey's career. It's a good thing the young music buyers of today have very low standards because she has been able to bounce back.
½ May 22, 2007
When you're in the same ballpark as Gigli, Ishtar and Battlefield Earth you KNOW you have a major league stinker on your hands. Quite possibly the worst music-genre movie ever made and definitely one of the 10 worst movies of all time. Way to go Mariah! This thing was so bad I switched the channel and watched The Home Shopping Network. Seriously. I bought a new watch. It glittered more than this corn turd of a movie.