God Bless America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Bless America Reviews

May 2, 2017
I appreciate that this movie pokes fun at both sides of the nihilistic coin. It's also nice to see how they portray young teen girls in a realistic manner despite the unrealistic plot.
March 27, 2017
An absolute gem! Great dark comedy about current society.
½ March 9, 2017
Nabbing a few bad fellows along while saying goodbye to the world.

Well, I did not expect it to be this good, even after knowing it was praised by many. From the writer, director of 'World's Greatest Dad'. Another black comedy and this even better. About an ordinary middle aged divorcée who hates everything around him, but could not do anything about it. One day when he got fired from his job, followed by discovering he has a tumor, he thinks to put an end his life right away. But then decides to do cleanup the society before his time comes up. Hence begins the path of violence, later a young woman joins him and how long it all goes was briefed.

Seems very familiar, but still worked so good. It's not your 'Bonnie and Clyde' or 'Pretty Poison'. In fact, you can drag as many titles as you can, but still it is quite simple and entertaining. Obviously predictable, including the main twist and several scenes, but the rhythm of the narration was great, keeps us hooked to it for the way it was filmed. It's not about the moral science. It is pretty much a confused or misunderstood situation based theme, especially the conclusion clears out that. So if you don't care anything about those things, particularly in a film, then it is for you.

Unfamiliar faces, but they both in the lead were excellent. The same film with some popular stars would have made a better headline and collection. Not seen quite a nice B film like this in the recent time. I got what I wanted from a film. Especially for a small film like this its exemption in a few areas due to the tight budget, but this film did not have any trouble, just amazing. Yeah, a well made film, from writing to direction, performances, this is a decent hidden gem of its kind.

7/10
February 16, 2017
Funny while being social commentary. Love buddy movies and this one was definitely a hit. I recommend.
½ February 4, 2017
The edgy concept is weighed down by preachiness and a self-indulgent pace.
December 30, 2016
A pretty awesome black comedy that comes up to the line several times and then goes over it. Some very well done dialogue scenes. Politically incorrect.
LOL funny when it goes there during it's wild mood swings.
Challenging, unsafe, entertainment.
It says "for Jack Burns" at the end. Star, Joel Murray, does bring him to mind.
December 25, 2016
This was fun to watch... and still very topical. Since this film was made, it's actually gotten worse here in the US... and the people getting a big dose of lead karma were over-the-top parodies, so if you're orange, fat, with little hands... I can't wait for Goldthwaite to skewer YOU. So much of this "culture" is based on utter crap... but I don't have to tell you that, do I ? The Kardashians are still a thing in 2016/7... gross ! Joel Murray is one of the every talented Murray family, but the Big BM does tend to get all the choice roles. Joel Murray is great in this. I laughed, I laughed A LOT.
December 22, 2016
Very enjoyable and sincere and heartfelt for such a dark comedy.
December 5, 2016
The most underrated movie ever made.
September 29, 2016
Fantastic. It's not complex, but it doesn't need to be.
½ September 15, 2016
Terrible in retrospective of comparison to 'World's Greatest Dad.' Original premise tied to current events, but horrible execution - even when putting political views to the side.
½ August 13, 2016
really loved this. i recommend to anyone who isn't a pussy. you'll know pretty fast if you're going to like it or not.
½ August 3, 2016
This was funny but kind of fizzled out at the end.
½ July 31, 2016
There are parts of God Bless America that I really, really liked. There were also parts that I really, really hated. The production design was cheap (Tom Kenny voices all the commerical narrators, fake looking blood, cheap sets) and the ending is kind of disappointing compared to some of the high points of the film. If you are a fan of World's Greatest Dad though and don't mind the biting satire, then I think you might enjoy this.
July 29, 2016
The idea of this movie was so much better than the execution, too much exposition by the main characters throughout. A voiceover would have been better than the characters telling everyone how much they suck as human beings.
June 29, 2016
You look like fuck pie.

A man who is extremely frustrated with the new direction of the United States has had enough and begins killing those who are unjust in their behavior. As he partakes in these vigilante acts, a young girl named Roxy witnesses and wants to join him. Initially he will not allow it, but she quickly shows she is useful. They go on a Bonnie and Clyde like killing spree.

"We want to see one of your whores get knocked out..."

Bobcat Goldthwait, director of Sleeping Dogs Lie, World's Greatest Dad, Willow Creek, and episodes for several talk shows, delivers God Bless America. The storyline for this picture is very much a Kick Ass knock-off with some great one-liners and action sequences. The acting is very average with no one in the cast worth noting.

"Tell Brad while he's down there to smell my balls."

I came across this some time ago on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. I thought this was very average with a known built-in audience from the success of Kick-Ass. I was disappointed with this and thought it could be better. This wasn't a waste of time but it wasn't special either.

"Did you poop in my food?"

Grade: C-
June 25, 2016
Missed it in theaters, wasn't playing anywhere near me -= bought it on dvd - love it!
June 9, 2016
'God Bless America' definitely fills some blanks in cinema as a whole. Not that much because it put the idea of killing someone for justice (in very few words) on screen; which was a bold move and central selling point. It managed to get across brilliantly collected and sane criticism on the modern culture that dominates the very lives and thoughts of so many people worldwide. An egocentric, anti-human reality, where self is placed above all, people can be un-nice, etc, etc, etc. The subject has titanic proportions, but 'God Bless America' skilfully handles and analyses a great chunk of it. It is true that the story and dialogue (often reaching 'monologue' levels) can become a touch tiring. Anti-cinematic, perhaps. But such is the film's character, not definitely a flaw. You can say it contains lecturing, yet with so much to tell, such delivery would be unavoidable. Thinking of the target audience- the part of it that's satirised in the film, you can't really deny the need for straightforward advice. Even when things turn violent and bloody, or comical, the film retains a tranquil, serious tone, as if it pleads that you watch it with interest and concentrate on its messages.

'God Bless America' doesn't need to and doesn't want to shine too bright; to dazzle you with action and unusual characters and whatnot. 'God Bless America' distinguishes itself as an honest orator amongst the filth it reveals. Much like some (also satirised in the film) try to do by showing others seemingly worse than them. Remember that every film is about ethics, but with gunfights and other 'cool' stuff they can lose some essence. But this one is pretty well balanced. Certainly a worthy title, if not a 'must'.
June 4, 2016
God Bless America is an excellent film, taking a gory and darkly comedic look at the insanity that grips our culture. Don't mistake the violence as pointless however, God Bless America asks real questions as it deconstructs some of society's most mundane actions and asks us to go beyond in order to see how the western lifestyle has poisoned our souls and our hearts.
April 29, 2016
Very dark and gruesome but very thoughtful on the topic it conveys and I can relate to it since I'm one of the many who can't stand the celebrated mediocrity that we see in this day and age.