God Bless America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Bless America Reviews

½ September 15, 2016
Terrible in retrospective of comparison to 'World's Greatest Dad.' Original premise tied to current events, but horrible execution - even when putting political views to the side.
½ August 13, 2016
really loved this. i recommend to anyone who isn't a pussy. you'll know pretty fast if you're going to like it or not.
½ August 3, 2016
This was funny but kind of fizzled out at the end.
½ July 31, 2016
There are parts of God Bless America that I really, really liked. There were also parts that I really, really hated. The production design was cheap (Tom Kenny voices all the commerical narrators, fake looking blood, cheap sets) and the ending is kind of disappointing compared to some of the high points of the film. If you are a fan of World's Greatest Dad though and don't mind the biting satire, then I think you might enjoy this.
July 29, 2016
The idea of this movie was so much better than the execution, too much exposition by the main characters throughout. A voiceover would have been better than the characters telling everyone how much they suck as human beings.
June 29, 2016
You look like fuck pie.

A man who is extremely frustrated with the new direction of the United States has had enough and begins killing those who are unjust in their behavior. As he partakes in these vigilante acts, a young girl named Roxy witnesses and wants to join him. Initially he will not allow it, but she quickly shows she is useful. They go on a Bonnie and Clyde like killing spree.

"We want to see one of your whores get knocked out..."

Bobcat Goldthwait, director of Sleeping Dogs Lie, World's Greatest Dad, Willow Creek, and episodes for several talk shows, delivers God Bless America. The storyline for this picture is very much a Kick Ass knock-off with some great one-liners and action sequences. The acting is very average with no one in the cast worth noting.

"Tell Brad while he's down there to smell my balls."

I came across this some time ago on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. I thought this was very average with a known built-in audience from the success of Kick-Ass. I was disappointed with this and thought it could be better. This wasn't a waste of time but it wasn't special either.

"Did you poop in my food?"

Grade: C-
June 25, 2016
Missed it in theaters, wasn't playing anywhere near me -= bought it on dvd - love it!
June 9, 2016
'God Bless America' definitely fills some blanks in cinema as a whole. Not that much because it put the idea of killing someone for justice (in very few words) on screen; which was a bold move and central selling point. It managed to get across brilliantly collected and sane criticism on the modern culture that dominates the very lives and thoughts of so many people worldwide. An egocentric, anti-human reality, where self is placed above all, people can be un-nice, etc, etc, etc. The subject has titanic proportions, but 'God Bless America' skilfully handles and analyses a great chunk of it. It is true that the story and dialogue (often reaching 'monologue' levels) can become a touch tiring. Anti-cinematic, perhaps. But such is the film's character, not definitely a flaw. You can say it contains lecturing, yet with so much to tell, such delivery would be unavoidable. Thinking of the target audience- the part of it that's satirised in the film, you can't really deny the need for straightforward advice. Even when things turn violent and bloody, or comical, the film retains a tranquil, serious tone, as if it pleads that you watch it with interest and concentrate on its messages.

'God Bless America' doesn't need to and doesn't want to shine too bright; to dazzle you with action and unusual characters and whatnot. 'God Bless America' distinguishes itself as an honest orator amongst the filth it reveals. Much like some (also satirised in the film) try to do by showing others seemingly worse than them. Remember that every film is about ethics, but with gunfights and other 'cool' stuff they can lose some essence. But this one is pretty well balanced. Certainly a worthy title, if not a 'must'.
June 4, 2016
God Bless America is an excellent film, taking a gory and darkly comedic look at the insanity that grips our culture. Don't mistake the violence as pointless however, God Bless America asks real questions as it deconstructs some of society's most mundane actions and asks us to go beyond in order to see how the western lifestyle has poisoned our souls and our hearts.
April 29, 2016
Very dark and gruesome but very thoughtful on the topic it conveys and I can relate to it since I'm one of the many who can't stand the celebrated mediocrity that we see in this day and age.
April 28, 2016
Careful. This one bites.
½ April 19, 2016
Bobcat Goldthwait nos entrega su película más oscura. Y eso es mucho decir, si usted ha visto sus trabajos anteriores como las magníficas "Shakes The Clown", "Sleeping Dogs Lie" y "World's Greatest Dad". En esta película más que incendiaria, Goldthwait nos cuenta la historia de Frank (Joel Murray) un hombre divorciado con una hijita insoportable quien, al haber sido despedido de su trabajo injustamente y al saber que tiene un tumor cerebral inoperable, decide hacerle un favor a la humanidad: asesinar a todos aquellos que hacen del mundo actual algo insoportable: jovencitas protagonistas de reality shows, líderes de opinión de ultraderecha y homofóbicos, fanáticos religiosos y demás escorias humanas. Lo acompaña en su matanza la adolescente Roxy (Tara Lynne Barr), quien tiene más sed de sangre que su mentor. "God Bless America" deja a las películas "Falling Down" o "Natural Born Killers" como obras inocentes e ingenuas y aunque su tono es cómico, es una cinta controversial en mayúsculas que invita a la discusión y al debate.
½ April 15, 2016
A fine satire, not one that will make you laugh out loud, but the observations on the absurdities of modern culture and living are superbly examined here.
April 9, 2016
It was like watching a movie that I would have written. Poorly done, but the dialogue, plot and motivations were so satisfying it was ever so slightly disturbing.
½ April 3, 2016
The movie opens with his thoughts about his inconsiderate neighbours. That's me. And then there's the office rant. I'm gonna like this movie. And although there is alot more of his frustrated ranting, and a great scene in the cinema, i became a little disappointed when it turns into Bonnie and Clyde. I'd also like to add, why does he even bother to sit and watch the trash on TV? He could watch DVD's, movies, or documentaries would be much more up his street.
½ April 1, 2016
Sometimes i think just like that Frank-dude and shoot some stupid people , fun stuff ...Roxy was maybe a bit of an unbelievable caracter. Good
½ March 18, 2016
A revelation on how American popular culture has been perverted. This is a blunt, and tactful representation of what society will not admit. Here, the victims perpetuate the problem, and do not concern themselves with the collateral damage, nor the destruction of the truth in people's lives.
February 27, 2016
Fun and worth a watch. The premise has more potential than is actually executed. The style of the societal criticism is off-putting at times. Dialogue was a bit stiff, especially during the social commentary.
February 21, 2016
I think the movie had a good premise, but wasn't able to bring it to its full potential. I can't believe its only 8 o' clock.