Gorky Park - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gorky Park Reviews

June 3, 2015
Good movie. The subject and the story was well handled but the suspense was too in your face. I did not feel the impact. The score was jarring. Joanna was not good but the acting over all was acceptable. It is the pace and the story that kept the movie alive and watchable. There were some beautiful allegories such as the sables running around in the end.
½ April 11, 2015
Hurt is excellent as a detective torn between truth or government as he tries to solve murders in this well done thriller.
December 22, 2014
William Hurt stars as a bilingual Russian police detective who is trying to uncover the secret to speaking English without a Russian accent. As his english vocabulary increases, his speech seems to alternate impressively from one which yet has a glimmer of russian texture, to perfect russian proof english. There are times when you'd scarcely believe he had ever spoken russian to begin with! This is however short lived.

We are rooting for Detective Renko to discover the truth of accentless english, and through the many twists and turns in his adventure with language skill development, we almost see his accent vanish altogether. Sadly, he ultimately loses his linguistic battle and we find ourselves just as aggravated as Renko, as he still..has a slight accent. Not all is lost, there is hope, while we are left with the impression that many of his comrades are also learning english, and are escaping the confines of their soviet prison where everyone speaks with permanent russian accents (if they speak english at all!). We try not to think too hard about those poor souls...it's sad.
February 15, 2015
must of been the best crime film from 1983, which was a good year. can't wait for the next one
January 31, 2015
A brilliant thriller from the 1980s starring William Hurt. What marks this film out as being a little different from the usual is that it is set in Moscow and Hurt plays a Russian police inspector. Lee Marvin takes on the role of a cool American businessman and there are a plethora of other fine and sadly now deceased actors in supporting roles. The script is by the masterful Dennis Potter and is clever, dark and witty in places. The plot involves the grisly discovery of three badly mutilated bodies in Moscow's Gorky Park and Hurt sets out to investigate. What he uncovers is a gripping tale of the fur trade and corruption within the Soviet establishment. The fact that the story takes place in the pre-Glasnost era makes the whole movie interesting from an historical point and Moscow is shown as a down-at-heel, slightly grubby place. All this makes for an intriguing and interesting film which has an appeal beyond the normal thriller. I'm an admirer of Hurt and in the role of Inspector Renco, he seems perfectly cast and very believable. I'm also impressed with Joanna Pacula as the mysterious Irina who is a pivotal character in the plot. This classic film of the 1980s is a great example of film making from that decade and is still gripping and suspenseful without being sensationalist. Highly recommended.
July 19, 2014
William Hurt is so beautiful in this! He should always have dark hair! The film is pretty good too.
½ March 1, 2014
Not without it's flaws, but who doesn't like a good old who done it! Almost forgot that back in the day they didn't care about an authentic accent. Really odd to hear a character speak in this heavy English accent that is suppose to be a Russian Militia officer.
January 16, 2014
At least Michael Apted has the Up series on his resume. This film is as by-the-numbers a thriller as you'll find.
½ January 29, 2013
The most authentic depiction of the USSR in the history of Hollywood. While all the Russian scenes were shot in Finland's capital Helsinki (architecturally very similar to Russian cities), the attention to detail is astonishing - from cars and street signs to clothing and documents. And none of that horrible Hollywood "Russian accent". The plot is a little far-fetched and somewhat hard to follow at times, but the movie is a real thriller, with excellent acting, especially from William Hurt.
January 5, 2013
It has a good concept and the set up is nice, but the final culmination is a little lacking. Also, when you have all your Russians speaking English it really makes it confusing when you have characters coming in who are supposed to be American. When you need a piece of dialogue to tell you that a character is speaking a different language you have a problem. How can you tell if he's supposed to be speaking Russian or not? Or is he supposed to be speaking Russian the whole time?

Nevertheless, the acting is solid and the direction superb. The opening scene with the ominous music is made even eerier by the innocent fun the camera is showing, and the camera following behind the girl's ice skates (in themselves a key plot point) is a brilliant touch. Setting a fairly conventional murder mystery in Soviet Russia may be a bit gimmicky, but at least it's a good gimmick.
½ June 26, 2007
An interesting murder mystery set behind the iron curtain.
July 4, 2012
if i tell you the main reason this is one of my favorite films, i'll spoil it for you. if you haven't seen it yet or if you're watching it again, the ending is . . . marvelous.
½ June 26, 2012
Good murder mystery set in communist Russia. They mystery is engrossing but the secretive Soviet setting makes the film all that more interesting. Hurt is terrific in the lead as are all the supporting players, but Lee Marvin steals the show as an American doing big business in Russia. There's also a terrific James Horner score, although it sounds somewhat recycled from some of his other action film scores. The main weakness of the film is the tepid romantic subplot involving Hurt and Pacula, but other than that it's a solid murder mystery.
May 24, 2012
"Irina: KGB have better cars, you know. - Arkady: Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they? "
½ April 21, 2012
I saw this one last night. The book is MUCH better, but the young William Hurt is hot hot hot! The plot got a little fuzzy (I fell asleep in the middle), but I will be watching this one again tonight! Definitely on my "To buy" list.
November 23, 2011
An international murder conspiracy over...sable coats. Thrilling. Weird seeing the Emperor in another role; I wonder if he felt UNLIMITED POWER in reconstructing those heads.
November 29, 2011
A bit slow at times but I'd watch again just for Lee Marvin :)
December 5, 2007
I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I liked the book better.
½ October 28, 2011
The cold war era, so many little movies around such, supposed paranoid subjects. This was one of the good ones because it doesn't play it as plain good guy-bad guy.

But the mystery still comes up pretty flimsy. Aside from that, it's a pretty good movie. I like the conflicted William Hurt character and Dennehy's US Joe. Marvin was probably a stretch but, why not - it's Lee Marvin! More so, is there ever a time when a movie with a Russian setting doesn't look like a nuclear winter?
October 11, 2011
Enjoyable Slow-Burn Crime Thriller, To Do With An Investigation Of Triple Murder, With Faces Skinned And Teeth Shot Out, So The Victims Can Not Be Identified. A Great Use Of Atmosphere Has Been Used, As Well As Some Great Performances From The Main Cast As Well As The Suppoorting Cast. Main Cast Includes: William Hurt, Lee Marvin, Ian Bannen, Brian Dennehy & Joanna Pacula. Supporting Cast Includes: Michael Elphick, Richard Griffiths & Rikki Fulton. This Is A Well Crafted Cold War Thriller, With The Usual Double Agents E.T.C. Great Direction, Great Cast, Decent Story.