The Great Dictator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Dictator Reviews

October 25, 2017
Charlie Chaplin's political satire is filled with good humor and sharp criticism - revealing the work of a genius who manages to touch the audience through a witty comedy.
October 19, 2017
a wonderfully movie saw it as a kid and loved the globe scene. the final scene is still relevant in this day and age. we gotta remember the movie was made in 1940 when the US was still out of the war and hence all credit to Charlie to make such a hardhitting yet satirical movie
September 23, 2017
There's tons of scenes that just feel worthless but somehow they make the piece. I don't find this one consistently hilarious as I thought I would but Chaplin's ideologies and straight out bravery to make this film are alone completely admirable. And the beginning is one of the funniest things he's ever done with some scenes being the most profound he's ever accomplished.
September 16, 2017
In my list for 5 Greatest Films of All Time.
August 23, 2017
The Great Dictator will always be remembered fondly by audiences. Perhaps because it was Charlie Chaplin's first talking role. Certainly because of how remarkable a work of satire it is, being produced in the midst of the Second World War. Possibly not due to it's daft "prince and the pauper" take, although that does lead into one of the most memorable monologues in film history.

It's a momentous film for a lot of reasons, but after watching it again with fresh eyes I can't help but feel there are still some harmful stereotypes being used far too regularly. Their analogue for Hitler is played as a fool and his german-ish tirades make the film feel far more dated than any technical gripe. Perhaps that was right for the time but it's likely getting harder to appreciate the context they were presented in.

As a result it's a strange thing to watch with modern eyes and perhaps it's more interesting because of it.
June 8, 2017
This movie, like every Chaplin movie, was so enjoyable to watch. There wasn't a single dull moment, which is what I like in movies. It always held my attention and amazed me by how relevant some of themes are.

War never changes, but if every leader and dictator of our planet held true to that speech that Chaplin gives at the end, I think this world would be a much more pleasant place to live in. We wouldn't be having so much violence and hatred towards each other and wars would cease.

I'll definitely watch this one again! Chaplin never ceases to amaze me with his wit, humor, and sense of humanity and care.
April 22, 2017
With the amount of German Gibberish and pretty obvious parody of you know who, Charlie Chaplin makes an unforgettable turn as The Great Dictator
½ April 5, 2017
With his first talkie flick, Charlie Chaplin decides to make a powerful movie, following "Modern Times", which he uses to protest against war and human malice! The speech scene is the most great and memorable one in cinema history. Without never forgetting about the current drama, Chaplin still could make the audience laugh and have hope!
½ February 14, 2017
It is far from Chaplin's best and makes light of a lot of Hitler's organization before the full extent of it was known.

However, the final speech at the end is easily one of the greatest speeches ever made. Those 4 minutes make the whole thing worth it. Those 4 minutes are so inspiring and lovely that I will put them as required viewing for all humanity!
February 5, 2017
A terrible idea for a movie. Charlie Chaplin should have known better. The mostly positive reviews are ludicrous. This is an unspectacular and boring film that I wouldn't recommend to anybody. (First and only viewing - 3/5/2014)
½ January 29, 2017
A historically important satirical film. Chaplin delivers one of the greatest speeches on the true and loving nature of the human soul. One of the best endings of any film.
January 29, 2017
Chaplin seamlessly makes the transfer to talking films in this brilliant comedy about dictatorship. It's a completely audacious film. It really blows my mind to think about the bravery which was put forth in making this film. Firstly, Chaplin went after Hitler before even America did. He made Hitler and his correspondence out to be a completely foolish organization. Having this come out at that time with the message it has is really mind blowing. Although today it may seem to making light of the situation which happened, it's important to see the satire beneath the comedy.
January 16, 2017
Relevant in every age.
January 9, 2017
Brilliant film, even after more than 75 years.
October 25, 2016
Equal parts gut-bustingly hilarious and tensely electric, Charlie Chaplin's Hitler satire proves itself not only of America's view on Nazi Germany at the time, but also a reliably manic and ingenious turn for the classic Tramp in the world of sound.
October 15, 2016
it took some reel balls (cahones) 2 stand up 2 hitler and say what ur doing is wrong!
September 13, 2016
Wonderful, funny, beautiful film.
August 25, 2016
Not my favorite Chaplin. Prefer less words. But...considering the time in whichit was made. Very powerful.
August 11, 2016
A satirical Prince and the Pauper with deep political subtext. Laugh-out-loud hilarious!
July 3, 2016
One of the greatest comedies I've ever seen.