The Great Outdoors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Outdoors Reviews

½ November 7, 2016
The critics hated this, and while I get that it is not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, this movie still makes me laugh from time to time. It is a bit all over the place, but it has memorable moments in it that I still find entertaining. It is not the worst comedy to come out of the 80's.
½ August 21, 2016
Fairly routine comedy, but lots of fun and has great chemistry. The bear running away at the end is still hilarious.
August 20, 2016
A father's plan for a peaceful family getaway to the wilderness is interrupted when his obnoxious brother in-law unexpectedly arrives with his family that includes two strange little redheads. This comedy is brainless fun. This movie doesn't take itself seriously so neither should the viewer.
July 31, 2016
This sounds kinda good.
½ July 2, 2016
There's nothing not to love about "The Great Outdoors". Akroyd and Candy play off one another marvelously in this classic John Hughes outing that stands as a cozy piece of 80's Americana.
½ June 28, 2016
It's a fun, campy movie... only a really dull person wouldn't find enjoyment in it. Candy did a great job including a strong monologue scene, while Aykroyd's character was poorly conceived and written, leaving him with a garbage role to act.
June 14, 2016
- Not a great movie by any means but i love John Candy and used to watch this as a kid, I've seen it countless times so there's a high nostalgia factor here. Give it a try.
- Childhood fave that is still fun to watch. Just saw again for maybe the 8th time. So much fun watching John Candy...
June 9, 2016
Classic Aykroyd & Candy (RIP).
June 8, 2016
Such a good movie. loved watching it as a kid and still enjoy it as much today.
½ June 2, 2016
A rather generic and dull story is elevated by it's cast providing formulamatic yet still hilarious results.
May 27, 2016
Dad takes his family on camping trip in this hilarious but often clichà (C) comedy.
February 13, 2016
My favorite movie as a kid. Dan Aykroyd and John Candy are at their best. Watch it with your kids.
December 25, 2015
Great classic comedy, where Dan A. and John C. are in top at this time. I can watch them all the time.
November 22, 2015
The Great Outdoors is an underrated classic that I enjoy watching quite a bit mainly because of the childhood nostalgia I hold towards it but it is a downright Hilarious film with a great family message and theme.
½ November 20, 2015
Charming comedy, a good laugh for whole family.
½ September 1, 2015
Good stuff here man.
July 24, 2015
A great classic. 9/10
July 15, 2015
Best purchase I made all year
May 29, 2015
Best 80's Movie Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 20, 2015
A timeless comedy classic, which is part of a great achievement to John Candy's legacy!