Head On Reviews

• Feb 11, 2019

A Greek Australian man struggles with his sexual identity and has several homosexual encounters, takes drugs and rages against society. Alex Dimitriades shows some performance skills that are truly underrated. The movie delves too much into social realism and makes it a bit unbelievable. Someone can't suffer so many bad things in just a couple of days and the main character is not even likeable or relatable... I just hated him so much at the end, but it is evidence of what a broken soul is capable of doing.

• Jun 17, 2017

Bastante cliche pero con una mezcla explosiva de otros problemas sociales y raciales. Muy buena actuacion.

• Jun 11, 2016

The Greek spirit is alive in this Australian movie by the Greek Australian director,and the fact that it is so alive,tortures our protagonist. Alex Dimitriades has done an amazing job in portraying Ari with all his personal strugles and all his problems but something in the movie was not working for me.I don't know what it was,I can't quite define it.It's either the disability of the plot to give me the full spectrum of Ari's worries and struggles or the fact that his character wasn't fully explained,like most of the characters in the story.That being said,the most joyfull moments in the movie were the ones were the Greek music was the protagonsit and these were quite a few.It had some horrific and brutal scenes and these managed to make it really important plotwise.

• Dec 07, 2015

Great Melbourne movie about a tormented Greek gay boy. Very 90's the world has changed so much since then...

• Jan 17, 2015

Working my way through the SBS Summer movie list and returning to some greats. I loved this film when it was released in the late 1990s. It was gritty, faithful to the outstanding book by Tsiolkas, and showed the inner city of Melbourne I knew and loved. Rewatching it years later there is no doubt it holds up as a great Australian film and in the years that have passed Alex Dimitriades has never matched his magic here.

• Jul 10, 2013

Not much of a movie, but Alex is damn hot Greek :P

Not much of a movie, but Alex is damn hot Greek :P

• Jul 29, 2012

Difficult to watch, controversial. Excellent performances.

Difficult to watch, controversial. Excellent performances.

• Jul 04, 2012

As far as films centered on closeted gay characters go, this one was pretty good. His frustrations with his life and secret activities express themselves through his selfish and self destructive behavior. Wouldn't say it's a complete story as far as character development, but definitely entertaining.

• Jun 16, 2012

Un film intemporel, bien rà (C)alisà (C), avec une esthà (C)tique vieillotte et des personnages justes. Le charme du rôle principal ne fait pas oublier sa difficultà (C) à s'assumer et le comportement stupide consà (C)quent.

• Apr 14, 2012

A part se taper des mecs pas terribles et des rails de coke, j'ai pas bien compris où était l'histoire....