Heathers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heathers Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
"Heathers" is as air-headed as the titular group, it's humor is as gross as the school cafeteria food, and it's dialogue is as homophobic as the dumb jocks. It may be known as the queen of teen angst flicks, but despite the body count, the angst feels fairly contrived. If you want some dark teen angst films, go watch "The Dirties," "Donnie Darko," or "Mean Creek" instead.
½ September 20, 2016
I wasn't expecting to love this movie as much as I did, a great cult classic, with dark humor and an strange mix between a comedy and a thriller. A young Winona Ryder giving one of her bests.
½ September 5, 2016
Winona, you had me at, "myriad."
½ August 29, 2016
maybe if there werent tons of movies alike, even knowing this was the first, I would like it!!! Mean girls dude!
August 23, 2016
Somehow this movie has gotten even better over time. I liked it in the 80's but watching it again reminds me of just how razor sharp it is. Great writing.
August 21, 2016
A black humored chick flic, Heathers is a witty comedy with a dark message. Classy characters make this movie an all-time cult classic.
August 21, 2016
Best movie I have ever seen
July 31, 2016
Really crazy, funny, dark, and violent with abrupt pauses in the storytelling that sometimes bring the energy down but pretty powerful for what it is and great fun to watch.
½ June 20, 2016
Did not like the storyline.
½ June 17, 2016
Darkly entertaining and wickedly funny, Heathers is a prime example of retro-perfection in the teen comedy genre all due to the appealingly lovable and quirky performances from Winona Ryder and Christian Slater.
½ June 14, 2016

~June 14, 2016~
June 6, 2016
This movie literally became an instant classic... one of the original dark comedies... have been in love with this movie for almost 3 decades now... Slater & Ryder was hilariously phenomenal in this film... their roles on here literally put them on the map cinema wise... & everyone should see this movie at least once!
June 6, 2016
Twenty-eight years after its theatrical release, Michael Lehmann's high school-set dark comedy Heathers has aged as well as the effectiveness of drain cleaner. With a vivid color palate, exceptional cinematography from Francis Kenny and a deadly satirical wit from screenwriter Daniel Waters, Lehmann pulls this together with direction that is funny, scary, surrealist and dramatic making Heathers an eclectic assortment of taste. Featuring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater-the embodiment of the high school class system and the urge to break free-the two actors were made for these roles and perfectly portray Lehmann's tonal shifts in strides. Looking back at the film and knowing what has come after, it is easy to see the apparent influence Heathers has had on the high school genre ranging from 1995s Clueless to 2004s Mean Girls all the way to television with FOX's 2015 show Scream Queens. While homage has been done in other properties, nothing is quite like what we see in Heathers. It's violent, dark and has a cynical sense of humor that is rarely put this well together in a finished product that is as unshakable as those impressionable high school moments.
½ May 16, 2016
You can be more popular dead than alive..
May 4, 2016
After hearing so many positive things about this movie for over twenty years, I finally got around to watching it. Wow, what a major letdown. Complete garbage, start to finish. Ridiculous story, and horrible acting from everyone except for Slater.
April 21, 2016
Christian-fucking-Slater & Winona-fucking-Ryder are dynamite thats all I have to say
½ April 5, 2016
Here is a high school film that actually treats high school like the dangerous, hilarious, political drama that it so often can be.
½ March 14, 2016
This movie is awesome.
March 12, 2016
I thought I would love it. But... didn't love it. I see what they were trying to do, but I didn't enjoy it.
½ March 5, 2016
A stunning message centering on the life of a teenage girl, Slater and Ryder work wonders on screen together.