Heathers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heathers Reviews

½ March 16, 2017
Heathers is directed by Michael Lehmann, and it stars Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, and Shannen Doherty in a dark comedy about a highschool student that got tired of the leader of the Heather group for treating her horrible, and when she want something bad to happen to him, Veronica (Winona Ryder) gets help from J.D. (Christian Slater) to do something to her, but accidentally end up with killing her in the process, which end up being a sad day for every student surprisingly. This has been in the Netflix list for a long time, and when some of my friends got different opinions in terms of this, I was curious to see it, and when I finished the film, I end up really enjoying it and was seeing why it has high reviews. Winona Ryder gives a great performance that seems right for her to act and even look like a highschool student, and Christian Slater plays his character very mysterious and flirty that makes sense why Veronica has a thing with him. The writing by Daniel Waters is very clever and quirky that works in that world that he might've created, and some of the lines are very quotable to say. The dark comedy in there is really funny and messed up which makes sense with the dark quirky tone that it has, but it never felt too dark that was starting to become a horror film, although it did start to get creepy at some moments, which is fine. It's very clever that never seems to be obvious of where it's going, and the characters are likable to watch. The only minor issues that I have, were from the beginning. Not that the beginning was bad or anything, it's just there was a joke from Veronica and her family that felt so much like a sitcom, and it wasn't even done in a funny way which took me out of the film, although luckily it only happens twice, so it's nothing grand for that. Not only that, the acting in the beginning sounded a bit off that I was glad that it was improved when it kept going, whether it might be because they're going to die, or they are already dead by the time I start to notice more of the off acting. Like I said, those flaws are minor as Heathers is a really great movie that I'm glad I had that movie on my list.
½ March 12, 2017
Teen comedy with morbid sense of humor although very appropriate.
March 3, 2017
This was not the kind of movie I thought it was gonna be and I love it all the more
February 15, 2017
A never rated this but decided to give it another go.

As a black comedy it is great watching unlikeable scum get their just dessert.

Really weird stuff with Slater and his father. Their relationship and ways of communication was freaky.

Good chemistry between Ryder and Slater and the former is great as the homicidal maniac.
February 14, 2017
Happy Valentine's Day everyone! If you are reading this review on the day I am writing it. To celebrate, I'm watching Heathers. A movie recommended to me by a couple people. Man, this movie is something different. When it starts, I think I'm in for another version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, except it turned into a mix of Mean Girls with a sprinkle of both Scream and American Psycho. It's weird because it acts like your average teenage comedy full of swear words, sex-talk, homophobic jokes, dated teenage lingo except you throw in murder, suicide and a hint of terrorism. I don't really want to give anything away in terms of the weird violent twist of this story because the shock value is real. Christian Slater definitely plays the weird kid in the corner of the cafeteria who doesn't really talk to people extremely well. Kinda freaky. It kind of turned me off a bit but the reason why I liked it and kept watching was Winona Ryder. Although she's not the best actress in the world and she isn't given the best dialogue, she was very charismatic. That's all I can really say about this movie without getting into spoilers because I do feel like this film can be enjoyed by quite a lot of people. However, I cannot give it a simple "Thumbs Up" recommendation. Some teen movies like American Pie, I can simply say "everyone should watch it!" but with Heathers, I feel like you need to have a little bit of a dark sense of humour and go in knowing that it is not a bright, comedic teen love story. It is a dark, depressing, freaky film that is presented as a teen comedy. If you feel like that would be right up your alley, give it a shot. I'm glad I saw it.
January 3, 2017
Would not at all recommend for under 18. While possessing an interesting message about teen stupidity, this movie was outlandishly too dark to evoke emotion. Plus, Wilsona Ryder and Christian Slater are annoyingly superficial.
December 27, 2016
"Heathers" is not your average 80s teen movie full of romantic clichés, instead it's full of dark and disturbing humor centered around teen suicide and the pressures of high school. Becoming an American cult dark comedy film, the story is centered around Veronica (Winona Ryder), who is one of the popular high school girls until she's had enough of her friends' social tyranny and newcomer J.D. (Christian Slater) offers her the opportunity to throw them out of power - by murdering them.
December 24, 2016
Clever. Dark. Sexy. My three favorite adjectives perfectly describe this cult classic.
December 14, 2016
"Heathers" is a fascinating high school story spoiled by an endless stream of crude remarks and volatile language. This 1980's attempt at being edgy goes too far, even by modern standards. The entire movie feels like an internal conflict as it fails to blend comedy with drama, realism with far-fetched circumstances, and humor with situations that should not be humorous. It is a shame because the film contains some important themes about suicide, bullying, and guilt, but the misplaced levity of the script prevents it from being taken seriously while the serious subject matter does not align with the comedic tone. The end result is an uncomfortable 100 minutes of trying to absorb the morals in spite of the script. Though we are used to seeing the critics hate blockbusters that make a killing at the box office, this film did the opposite when it failed at the box office even though the critics loved it. I blame its box office failure on its lack of a target audience as the synopsis does not have much appeal for your average adult but the R-rating would prevent most high schoolers from gaining admission (and thank goodness for the rating because this film is definitely not high school appropriate). It did gain enough attention to develop a cult following as well as thrusting Winona Ryder and Christian Slater into the limelight. "Heathers" lacks everything that I love about a drama while also lacking everything that I look for in a comedy. The amount of unnecessary crude language is offensive and should be saved for period dramas that require the language to bring the setting to life. Meanwhile, it lacks the jokes and inherently comedic situations that make a comedy entertaining. Don't waste your time on this one. I wish that I hadn't.
½ November 17, 2016
It's easy to under how this became such a cult classic. Dynamic casting with witty, sharp dialogue all placed into a killer almost fantasy like world.
November 9, 2016
With the newfound popularity of "Stranger Things," it is appropriate to take a look back at the beginning of the career of the wonderful Winona Ryder. In "Heathers" (1989), Ryder depicts Veronica Sawyer, your everyday angst filled teen. Sporting a monocle and dressed in all black, she narrates this story by angrily penning in her journal. Her dislike of the materialism and obsession with social hierarchy she views in her high school lead our heroine to get swept up in a murder spree led by the movies resident bad boy, J.D. (Christian Slater). This film is for anyone who enjoys both dark comedy and reminiscing about the struggle it is to be a teenager. This social commentary from 27 years ago stands the test of time with its remarks on teenage suicide, the cultural dismissal of sexual assault, and the American tendency to find entertainment in other's pain. The director, Michael Lehmann, should be applauded for his use of juxtaposition in the traditionally masculine traits shown on female characters, the strong use of colors carried throughout the film, and smart use of camera shots to enhance the social commentary. In the words of J.D, "the extreme seems to always make an impression"; this movie is definitely extreme and is sure to leave an impression on everyone who watches it.
½ November 9, 2016
Cliques, mean girls, and murder(?) Michael Lehmann's "Heathers" (1989) takes your classic high school drama and gives it a dark twist. Staring a young Winona Ryder as the protagonist, Veronica, "Heathers" stands apart from every teen drama you've seen before. It is a black comedy that deals with high school and adolescent angst. Veronica is a member of her school's most exclusive clique, the Heathers, a group consisting of three girls sharing the name sake and now Veronica. The Heathers are your average mean girls, worshiped by everyone despite tormenting their lesser peers. Veronica, however, has empathy for those who they bully and has a sense of understanding that what they are doing is wrong. She befriends and soon begins to date the mysterious JD (Christian Slater), your typical bad boy. After a fight with Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) at a college party, Veronica makes a Faustian bargain with JD, when making a hangover concoction, that does anything but help Heather's headache. To reveal anything more would give too much away, you'll just have to watch and see. Despite being a young adult drama, "Heathers" has something for everybody. The sophisticated movie viewers will be pleased as it uses chiasmus and Gestus acting along with other Epic Theater elements such as the over exaggerating of words and gestures. Even the cynics will be laughing at Veronica's snappy, dry one liners. So, if you love teen angst, dark humor, and/or sophisticated film elements, "Heathers" is the movie for you!
½ November 3, 2016
Heathers is a black comedy on coming of age and coming to power. This 1988 movie by Michael Lehmann goes into the American High School to show girls are not the sugar and spice they are said to be. Not named Heather? Not a problem, just ask Veronica Sawyer. Veronica Sawyer, played by Winona Ryder, is not like the other popular girls in school... for starters they're cruel and they're all names Heather. Veronica learns what it means to have power and how to put these girls in their place, but at what cost?
½ October 21, 2016
"Heathers" is as air-headed as the titular group, it's humor is as gross as the school cafeteria food, and it's dialogue is as homophobic as the dumb jocks. It may be known as the queen of teen angst flicks, but despite the body count, the angst feels fairly contrived. If you want some dark teen angst films, go watch "The Dirties," "Donnie Darko," or "Mean Creek" instead.
½ September 20, 2016
I wasn't expecting to love this movie as much as I did, a great cult classic, with dark humor and an strange mix between a comedy and a thriller. A young Winona Ryder giving one of her bests.
½ September 5, 2016
Winona, you had me at, "myriad."
½ August 29, 2016
maybe if there werent tons of movies alike, even knowing this was the first, I would like it!!! Mean girls dude!
August 23, 2016
Somehow this movie has gotten even better over time. I liked it in the 80's but watching it again reminds me of just how razor sharp it is. Great writing.
August 21, 2016
A black humored chick flic, Heathers is a witty comedy with a dark message. Classy characters make this movie an all-time cult classic.
August 21, 2016
Best movie I have ever seen