House of Wax - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of Wax Reviews

February 17, 2017
After watching #Horror, I needed to watch something good, so I was flipping around Netflix, and saw that Jared Padalecki was in this one. I had watched it when it first came out on DVD, but I didn't remember him being in it at all. I enjoy Supernatural, and remembered that I liked this movie, so I gave it another watch.

There is something really creepy about wax museums, at least to me. I watched Waxwork when I was a teenager, and it was one of the horror movies that has really stuck with me. While that one had the displays come alive, House of Wax just has crazy people encasing people in wax. No, nothing disturbing about that at all.

Even as a second watch, and knowing the premise of the movie, I still enjoyed it. I do remember when I saw it the first time I enjoyed the twist 3/4 through the movie, and right at the end. How it ends did lend itself to a sequel, although it would have to be in a different museum.

House of Wax includes all the goodies that one looks for in a slasher; lots of people getting killed in weird ways, gratuitous sex scenes, and a crazy psycho that slowly stalks his victims, but still manages to catch up to them. I also got a bit of a Psycho (the movie) vibe off of this one. I think with the quiet, creepiness of the town, and the woman who peeks out the window.
½ January 15, 2017
Not bad. Has its moments
½ January 8, 2017
Picture it, 2005 in the United States. America was just made their second biggest mistake in their presidential elections when they re-elected George W. Bush. I'm sure you all know the biggest mistake. It happened recently. The number one song in the U.S, the same week of this film's release, was the awful Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani. The #1 album that same week was Something to Be by Rob Thomas. Remember him? And Paris Hilton was famous for, essentially, being famous. This was back in the day when I was still high school, so some of you, at least some of the younger people, might not even know who this woman is. Let's just say that she was Kim Kardashian before Kim Kardashian was ever known. Paris had more of a shooting star quality, she was gone almost as fast as she hit the 'big time'. Which is unlike the Kardashians, who have stuck around longer than anyone ever wanted them to and who I wish would just go away live their lives in obscurity. The point of this all is the fact that when this movie was announce, it was sort of a big deal because of Paris Hilton being in it, even though her fame was fading by this point. I say big deal in that people wanted to see her die a gory death because they hated her so much. And because there was a sort of morbid curiosity to see how bad of an actress she would be. Twelve years removed from the film's release I can say that, in all honest, Paris Hilton isn't as bad of an actress as one would reasonably expect. She's obviously not super talented by any means, but she wasn't bad to the point that she deserved a Razzie nomination for worst actress. She was barely in the movie, but she was perfectly fine in the scenes she was in. And, honestly, I think she could have done well in films like this, where they don't really require much in the way of acting talent. But this movie isn't about Paris Hilton nor is it centered around her character. Admittedly speaking, this is about as generic a slasher as you will ever get. It has the basic story of a group of teens, or in this case adults in their 20s, being hunted down by a murderous madman, or madmen in this case. You've seen it before and you will certainly see it again until the end of time. Even with that, however, this is still a fairly decent movie with one of the coolest visual set pieces I've ever seen in a horror movie. It should be obvious the scene I'm talking about. Somebody starts a fire in the House of Wax, I don't remember the circumstances that led to it, and the wax figures and the house, which is made entirely of wax, start to melt. I don't know how to describe it properly, but the visuals of everything slowly melting was actually really fucking cool and, easily, the highlight of the entire damn film. There's just something grotesque yet oddly enthralling about seeing this house and the wax figures, made of actual human beings, just slowly melting away. I realize that the entire movie can't be like the third act, but the actual melting of the House of Wax is so inspired that you sort of wish that they serviced a considerably better movie than what we ended up getting. Which is, as I mentioned, a run-of-the-mill slasher with very little that differentiates it from other films in the genre. I never thought it was a bad movie, at any point actually. I just felt that, like I said, outside of the third act, it all felt a little too similar to other flicks in the same genre. There's nothing special for about 2/3rds of the film. Another problem is the film is that it's so damn long. There's no reason that this movie, and I went back and checked, should be 1 hour and 47 minutes long. Yes, really. It's unnecessarily long. It's almost 40 minutes into the movie before the villain, or one of them at least, appears. And then they kill off the majority of the characters in quick succession. There's almost 30 minutes left in the movie when all but two people are killed off, the most important characters of course. So the timing and pacing between each kill is awful. The movie takes too long to get going and when it does get going, it kills its characters so quickly that none of the deaths are remotely close to memorable. That's another thing, outside of the two that are left alive to battle the villains, there's no one character with anything resembling a personality. And that's not saying the protagonists are that great to begin with, but they have a somewhat decent backstory as it relates to the backstories of the villains. It's not good, but at least it's something. The pacing and length really were the best part of the movie. It's long, the characters are not all that interesting and the deaths come so quickly that it has no impact. The third act is excellent and actually worth seeing just because of how visually cool it is to watch an entire house of wax slowly melting. The rest of the movie, eh, you wouldn't be missing out. Average movie, but that's all due to the third act. I can't give this a recommendation when you take into consideration that I didn't enjoy about 2/3rds of this movie. Watch at your own risk, but you could always do worse.
December 1, 2016
As cheesy and predictable as it already is, Paris Hilton's mediocre acting only worsens it further.
½ October 14, 2016
Painfully bad in places, particularly the first 20 minutes, but once it gets going it has its moments.
July 31, 2016
Remake pas très ressemblant d'un film de 1953, House of Wax reste très classique dans son approche de slasher pour ado. Le seul passage vraiment sympa peut être la mort de Paris Hilton
July 12, 2016
Not a bad remake. It's always fun watching Paris Hilton get slaughtered.
½ July 3, 2016
love the premise of this one, and the execution is terrific, haunting atmosphere, clever editing, and fine actors....i have to admit it scare the hell out of me the first time I saw it.
great horror film
June 9, 2016
I adore that movie but I can't watch it! Ok, total teen horror movie but that was totally unpredictable and absolutely mad! SPOILER ALERT - When Wade gets his face tear off, OMG! I wish I've never seen that cute little face like that lol! I've had nightmares for days. And when that horrible man appears from the floor, shit! I was afraid of getting out of bed. And if I say... Secators. Ok, that's it. I have to stop. I'm traumatized for life ??! Oh, forgot Paris Hilton, that was a satisfying death. Not that I don't like her, but her character: yes!
J'ai adoré! Ok, classique film d'horreur d'ados, mais imprévisible et carrément dément! Attention SPOILER - Quand Wade se fait arracher le visage, OMD! J'en ai fait des cauchemars longtemps. J'aurais voulu ne jamais voir ce joli minois terminer comme ça. Et quand ce fou apparaît par le plancher, Ouch! Je ne pouvais plus descendre du lit! Et que dire des sécateurs... Ok j'arrête, J'en n'aurais encore long ( je crois avoir été traumatisé... Mdr !) J'ai oublié Paris Hilton, voilà une mort satisfaisante... Pas que je ne l'aime pas mais son personnage si!
May 18, 2016
House of Wax goes through the slasher cliche motions until the finale. The conclusion atmosphere is unique and cool to watch. Other than that it is average.
April 8, 2016
House of wax, can you say creepy? This 2005 movie remake left me on the edge of my seat throughout the entirety of it, but no matter how close I was to falling into the depths of this horror film, the many mistake kept me up. This movie started out very strong with an intense beginning Immediately you are thrown into this world of insanity. The beginning itself sent so many emotions through my mind, it was definitely thought through and left me without a clue as to what this movie had in store for me. It didn't give you enough information to understand what was happening, but it gave you just enough to ensure that you kept watching.
Now this movie contained a few of the cliche characters which I didn't mind. They had the dumb blonde girl, the jerk, and the guy who wants to just have sex. Although this movie have everything, from sex, to family bonding, to murder, it almost seemed as if it didn't have enough.
Fellow movie critic Harry Guerin agrees with me by saying:
"The whole thing is vacuously enjoyable, downright nasty in places and, despite the fact that the ending is rushed, has a pretty spectacular finish" (Harry Guerin)
This movie contained all the right amount of gore with the bloody pile of animal carcasses, to the missing of fingers, and lot more, but I'm not one to spoil a movie so I'll just stayed hushed about the rest. Now, although I loved the horror and intensity of this movie, the acting failed. This was definitely a bummer because the movie had a great plot and great potential. There was several occasions throughout the film were the acting was.. Crummy. This movie also left a lot of loose ends just hanging about. There were multiple times where I was left confused and just utterly baffled.
Other critics saying:
"A stupid, brainless, and pointless horror installment with all the usual characters, and pretty bad acting all around." (Felix Vasquez Jr.)
And
"Apparent kills are left unverified, handy firearms are left untouched, and the group splits up a record four times, ensuring most of these dolts will never see the dawn." (Pete Vonder Haar)
This movie is in the middle, they had great intentions but poorly executed them. There is a variety of people that love and hate the movie, I guess it's really just up to the viewer.
This movie is was very neutral for me, kinda like when you get your first car. It's a crappy car but atleast you have a car.
The acting flopped and there were extra scenes that were not needed for the sake of the story but the intensity and fact that it kept me on the edge of my seat no matter how much i wanted to hide made the movie a 3 star rating for me.
March 30, 2016
While hokey at times, there's actually some chilling violence strewn about this remake. Throw in young, hot scantily clad Elisha Cuthbert and of course Paris Hilton trying to "act" and you could do a lot worse for a horror flick.
½ March 17, 2016
Creepy, horrific, funny gorefest.
½ February 27, 2016
Terrible remake, shoving a white trash tramp in a cameo doesn't make the film better, nobody fucking cares about the fake and useless Paris Hilton, she's no Drew Barrymore.
½ February 25, 2016
If you're really stuck & there's nothing else around- this will have to do. The cast rely solely on their aesthetic to carry even parts of this film. Not really much of an homage to the 1953 original, I'm not sure it was set to be, though. A teen slasher with occasional bursts of interest when a semi-obvious twist comes into fruition. Vincent is a Mike Myers replica I'm not hugely thrilled by. Sloppy camera work, at times. I'm not sure this film really established it's identity before it began so it tries to be an amalgamation of plenty. Ineffective.
½ February 3, 2016
this is the first and it's the worse horror movie I've ever watched there were a few moments that made me jump, A shitty story line, poor acting made this a terrible movie. it was more a comedy than a horror movie
½ February 1, 2016
The cast of characters are especially stupid. This takes that cliche to a whole new level. It's like they are faced with several choices at every turn and choose the dumbest possible thing to do. The movie is also incredibly long for a generic slasher at almost 2 hours. It takes about an hour before anyone is killed. That's almost unacceptable in a cliched teen slasher. How would this even appeal to the most mindless audience just looking for popcorn fun? Not to mention, the kills are mostly forgettable, some even happening off camera.

The one good thing is the ending sequence in the burning wax museum. It's probably the only thing reminiscent of the original movie. It looks good mostly... aside from one god awful cgi moment near the end of their escape. There's just something about melting wax figures that looks really neat on camera.

Anyway, the movie has basically nothing to do with the original movie. It is more closely related to the movie Tourist Trap or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This is just another slasher that doesn't even reach the standards of even some of the lamest movies of the genre.
January 24, 2016
Unlike the Excellent Vincent Price 1953 film "House of Wax" which itself was a remake of a 1930s movie called "Mysteries of a Wax Museum". This 2005 remake unfortunately titled "House of Wax" follows in the classic tradition of remakes of completely snuffing out any hyped expectations we had prior to watching the film. Now what's wrong with it you ask? Well the thing that did it for me was that it had almost nothing in the slightest to do with the 1953 Vincent Price remake nor the original 1930's film. Remakes are generally created to modernize an original story/film to reflect the common culture, not to create something that has nothing to do with the original! But wait! It gets better the original title for this film was to be "Wax House, Baby" most likely to be a unrelated film entirely until Warner Bros decided to change it to a more profitable "House of wax."
So now that we got that out of the way, lets begin with the story! A road trip consisting of a bunch of teenagers takes a rapid detour downhill, as the teens decide to camp out for the night before heading to their destination. A run in with a creepy truck driver at the campsite leaves everyone disturbed. They then wake up the next morning to find that their car has been screwed with, conveniently leaving them with no transportation what so damn ever. They then decide to stay at a nearby town with the main attraction of that town being a wax museum. And as you can probably guess most of the characters don't make it, as "House of Wax" becomes nothing more than a cheap Slasher film full of sex, blood, and stupid decisions of the main characters. Great! The overall story's out of the way, now lets discuss the next problem people had with this film, Paris Hilton. To be fair she wasn't as abominable as she was in " The Hottie and the Nottie" and in fact does rather a fair job given the material she had to work with. I'll even go to this extent and say that at least she "some" talent and actually tries to do something productive unlike how you say "The Kardashians" so to say that she is the worst aspect of the movie isn't really fair seeing that she at least put some effort in as well as the fact that an actor is only as good as the script.
In conclusion, I have come to hate this film a little less than I originally did but not enough to give it a good rating. I give it 2 /5 stars
½ January 10, 2016
An absolute disgrace to the original, of which it has very little in common. This remake is ridden with cliches and filled with characters of such low IQ that we don't care that they're dying. The best part of the movie is a brief Paris Hilton striptease and that, on most days, isn't appealing enough to satisfy a viewing. Absolute schlock.