I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
Too short, but it's a sweet tribute
July 21, 2015
Just an enjoyable watch about an unsung actor who happened to costar in some of the most iconic movies in the history of film.Goodbye and goodnight Fredo and thanks for the memories.
½ July 5, 2015
A nice little mini doc with some of the co-stars, filmmakers and next generation actors who had the opportunity to work with John Cazale before his unfortunate passing at the age of 42 from lung cancer, focusing on his style of method acting and how much of a natural he was for the art, and his still unmatched ability to find a high amount of award worthy film projects to be on (remains the only actor I am aware of whose entire filmography was nominated for Best Picture). Raging from DeNiro, Hoffman, Pacino Streep and of course Coppola who cast him in 3 of his five roles, you can tell all of the people talking about him considered him in high regard and wished we was still with us to see where his career would have taken him all of these years later. Kind of wish the doc was longer and got more into his schooling and his technique more but an interesting loving little doc nonetheless.
½ December 15, 2013
Always loved this guy.
July 18, 2013
It's always great see something about this unforgettable unknown soldier of the cinema.
April 25, 2013
It's strange to imagine what kind of career John Cazale would have had if he lived on like DeNiro or Pacino. Still it is amazing and fascinating how every single movie he appeared in are classics.
½ March 27, 2013
A chronicle of the short life of a great actir who only appeared in 5 films, all of which had been nominated for Oscars (though he never even received a nomination, a real crime when you look at who did get a nom fir "The Godfather, Part II"). John Cazale unfortunately passed away at the age of 42 of cancer, and his promising career on the screen was untimely ended. The documentary is a living tribute to him, it doesn't dig too deep, and bas a very short run time, but it did put the spotlight on an often forgotten actor, with a great body if work.
July 30, 2012
It is crazy he was only in 5 movies and they are all classics!
½ July 14, 2012
Being a big John Cazale fan, I had my hopes set high for this tribute to his short career, but I was very disappointed to find a lazy and surprisingly shallow remembrance of the actor five performances rather than a serious look into his craft and life. What this is, essentially, is a series of interviews of some great actors that worked alongside him and some that have been inspired by his work since, from Meryl Streep (his close friend and lover) to Al Pacino to Robert De Niro to Francis Ford Coppola to Sidney Lumet to Steve Buscemi. It's a remarkable group of artists, but they all seem to just overlap and echo each other. I already know Cazale was a great actor, I have eyes and ears and I have seen his films. While I listened to these talented people simply describe scenes he was in while director Richard Shepard played said scenes over the top, I ached to hear something else, some unique insight or unshared stories from the man's personal life. Sadly, there was little to none of that, and I don't feel that I walked away from the documentary knowing anything I didn't know before- and I'm not specifically well-read on John Cazale or anything. At the very least, the film is a good introduction to the actor for people who aren't as familiar with his work, or know him only as Fredo, the smallest and most timid Corleone. He truly is one of the most interesting and underrated actors of the 1970s, or, for that matter, ever, and he deserves some recognition. Unfortunately, this short tribute only really scratches the surface.
April 25, 2012
Interesting if brief look at the man who supported Pacino so memorably on screen several times and inspired some of the finest actors in their finest performances to Oscar winning heights.
December 31, 2011
Not in a billion years would I have ever guessed that I would love a movie in which that hack Bret Ratner was involved with. He produced it. But what an amazing actor & an all too brief career! I didn't know about his great romance with Meryl Streep either. My only complaint is that Netflix would have you believe that the documentary is 1 hour & 43 minutes long. Maybe with the extended interviews and a couple of the other extras make it that running time.
November 13, 2011
A really interesting short doc on Cazale, who only made 5 films but they were all-time classics. A must watch for cinema lovers!
September 22, 2011
Wonderful moving tribute. Also check special features for extended interview with Al Pacino. Great actor gone far too soon
September 10, 2011
I only wished it was longer.
June 8, 2011
Very enjoyable documentary about the actor everyone remembers but nobody knows.
June 1, 2011
It's strange to imagine what kind of career John Cazale would have had if he lived on like DeNiro or Pacino. Still it is amazing and facinating how every single movie he appeared in are classics.
May 20, 2011
John Cazale foi um dos atores mais intensos da história do cinema.
Grande documentário com depoimentos excepcionais.
May 18, 2011
He is without a doubt one of the best actors of all time and completely unforgettable. How can we forget him with the kind of performances he has given us. Heck, he might have made only 5 movies but all of them are among the best movies ever made.
May 11, 2011