I'm Not Scared (Io non ho paura) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I'm Not Scared (Io non ho paura) Reviews

½ October 24, 2016
In "I'm Not Scared" a young Italian boy stumbles across a kidnap victim who has been chained up and concealed in a pit. They slowly form a friendship and gradually the boy uncovers the identity of the gang members who are behind the crime. An interesting enough plot but I didn't feel that there were enough scares and some opportunities to ramp up the tension in the plot were completely wasted. The kidnap victim, a little boy of about 10 years, isn't particularly likeable and the way he behaves seems to me to be quite bizarre. Where this could have actually been a taught thriller or a story of the loss of childhood innocence, I actually found "I'm Not Scared" to be pedestrian and safe.
December 20, 2015
A film of truly great beauty
½ September 7, 2015
This well-acted Italian movie isn't terrible, I just couldn't find the point to the story. A young kid accidentally finds another young kid being held captive in a hole in the ground. He doesn't know why he's there, but eventually finds out. He brings him food and water, but doesn't try to help him escape until it is way too late. Why make this movie?
July 26, 2015
Italian films are like poetry to my ears. Although I've seen abduction movies like this before, there's something about this film that's fresh. It's too bad I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. I think it's the relationship between the two boys that's poignant. I wish Hollywood films would make more film like this one. American mainstream movies nowadays are too focused on CGI and gore, that most--not all--of them forget that a touching story beats bloodshed and computers combined. The last scene of the movie was excellent. I wouldn't change a single thing about it.
July 6, 2015
An interesting movie, showing the isolation of farming in Sicily and how a 10-year-old deals with discovering that his parents are involved in kidnapping.
May 10, 2015
Good Italian movie with a twist and available on Netflix.
March 18, 2015
...it's a Pans Labrynth without the magic meets Stand By Me. Very well done and well casted. the ending could have had a better punch... but a really good film.
November 8, 2014
Wonderful film, find it on Netflix
July 5, 2014
"I'm Not Scared" is like a tale. It's effective and balance placing mystery part, crime-drama part, thriller part and inspiring-story part in whole scene, supported by a well-acted performances and beautiful shot.
June 16, 2014
I thought it was a horror and at first it plays out like one but then it just turns into a full on mystery/drama with some real sappy moments and a weak ending.
April 1, 2014
a well told story and beautifully filmed. It can seem like a familiar plot but they make it original and deep.
December 15, 2013
long movie, but good and interesting and powerful
½ December 1, 2013
Michele (Giuseppe Cristiano) é um garoto de 9 anos que vive ao sul da Itália, em meio aos campos de trigo. Ele encontra em um buraco um garoto escondido, que estava bastante maltratado. Sem contar a ninguém de sua existência.
November 2, 2013
Disturbing yet beautiful story... It also brought the world of my childhood back. A world now gone.
August 30, 2013
The sluggish pacing punishes the audience as well as the film.

June 25, 2013
Great film, wasn't sure on the direction but kept with it, very good story.
June 6, 2013
Fresh! If you like film- You'll love this one.
June 4, 2013
/B+/ Very interesting subject matter that is well-executed.
May 27, 2013
This is another of those films I watched only knowing the information given in the paragraph that comes up in the on-screen TV guide. It was enough to intrigue me and so a suitable viewing slot was found (Bank Holiday Monday's are good for this sort of thing). I should warn those that fear the subtitle, it is in Italian with those troublesome words along the bottom. Here's a very brief summary before I give you my thoughts.

It's southern Italy in the late 1970's and Michele (Giuseppe Cristiano) and his friends are out in the wheat fields playing. They go to an abandoned farmhouse where dares are made and forfeits acted out. They begin to head back home but Michele's little sister, Maria (Giulia Matturo) has left her glasses. He goes back for them and makes an important discovery. In a pit behind the house is boy; he's chained up so he can't escape. Michele doesn't know if he's alive or dead so he doesn't say anything to his mother, Anna (Aitana Sánchez-Gijón), or his father Pino (Dino Abbrescia), when they get home. The following day he goes there alone and discovers the boy, Filoppo (Mattia Di Pierro), is in fact alive. Little does he know, though, he's putting his own life in danger.

I found this a very engaging film with some very interesting characters and an intriguing story line. It's beautifully shot; making the most of the landscape, showing off the wide open spaces of the region. There is also some nice close-up work in which we get to see many of the small creatures that inhabit the fields. All the performances were excellent; particularly Giuseppe Cristiano; he really held the thing together with some great work! Over all, I can safely say I enjoyed this one although I did find it a little predictable towards the end but I think it's still worth a look.

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.9/10
May 22, 2013
Well i'm shocked as to how well liked it is. I found it to be an unexciting, predictable movie start to finish! I wouldnt watchit or recommend it!