In My Father's Den - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In My Father's Den Reviews

October 24, 2015
Overlooked family drama from down under.
November 10, 2014
Probably one of my favourite films of all time. It is a very dark and heavy film so be prepared for that. This film will take you on a roller coaster ride of emotions and that is what makes it so good.
½ September 20, 2014
A new-fashioned whodunnit which takes an unromantic view of the small town escapee, played with astonishing skill by MacFadyen.
½ August 15, 2013
Beautiful Love child of two genres - Drama and Thriller...
July 3, 2013
I was impressed with Matthew MacFadyen in Pride & Prejudice, and the synopsis is just vague enough to intrigue me.
May 31, 2013
While the subject matter of the film is fairly grim, the movie demonstrates great warmth and humour--Unrelentingly bleak, but thoughtful and deep!!
½ March 17, 2013
The dialogue is frequently melodramatic that it becomes difficult to forget that you are watching a film. Apart from that, the film cannot be faulted technically however it lacks any distinctive characteristic required to make it great.
October 24, 2012
Really want to see this movie!
½ September 24, 2012
One of the best family dramas i ever saw, beautifully filmed and told, very tight, andmasterfully acted.
June 29, 2012
Some good acting, some average. Overall the drama was quite believable, but characters too often witheld information just to create mystery.
May 11, 2012
Slow burning murder mystery set in New Zealand....amazing scenery n a great story about a man who left home at 15 only 2 return 15 years later where history catches up with him !!!
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
½ March 14, 2012
Riveting story of a return home to New Zealand. Every time you think you figured out the turn the story is about to take, a new twist is added. Cleverly told story slowly releasing a family's secrets. Excellent acting underlines the unfolding drama. Half a star off for the photography-which is good by any standards-but somehow just doesn't match the excellence of the rest of the film. Commanded my attention throughout!
½ February 6, 2012
hmmm interesting i guess...
December 11, 2011
This is perhaps my all-time favourite film. Paul, a war photographer, returns home for the first time in 17 years. In the beginning, the audience sees him as an arrogant man, too busy for his family. What begins to unfold is a masterpiece about the complexities of human beings. You see that Paul, and all the other characters, have considerable baggage from their past. You especially see that Paul's past, both personal and professional, have molded him into the person he is now: an emotionally detached, damaged individual. He meets Celia, a 17 year-old who is hoping to leave New Zealand and make something of herself. Their friendship changes both of their lives in ways they never could have foreseen. This film looks at issues, such as how our experiences shape us as people. Also, the impact a family has on an individual's development. There are also themes of isolation in the modern world, intergenerational friendships, small towns, and (I'd argue) post traumatic stress disorder. The acting is superb, and the cinematography is great. The pace is a bit slow, but I would argue that it needs to be in order to reflect small town life in a genuine way. The characters are complex, never allowing you to feel that they are either good or bad. This is perhaps one of the most emotional and thought-provoking films I've seen to date.

I come from a small town, and I left at 17. I've barely been home in the past 9 years (barely even returned to the country), although it's not due to family issues. I've worked in highly emotionally stressful lines of work, such as human trafficking prevention and adoption. I've seen babies locked in rooms, left to die... small girls who were forced into prostitution... When I saw this film, I had to admire Matthew MacFadyen's portrayal. Most people in these professions end up becoming overly extroverted to compensate, or completely closed-off. Even more, the script is amazing in that his brother does not even recognize him at first. My family has often remarked on how it's changed me to be too closed off and reckless. Perhaps on of the most heartfelt, genuine, and accurate portrayals. Watching this movie, I was drawn in to completely believing that MacFadyen really is a war photographer... the acting was beyond superb. Bravo!
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Pedro.
November 13, 2011
Uma história envolvente com desfecho inesperado, mixagem perfeita de drama e suspense!
½ August 30, 2011
Do you remember when Spooks first aired on BBC1 some ten years ago? I do. I enjoyed watching Matthew Macfadyen's character Tom Quinn's life slowly disintegrate; the scenes with the laptop and his girlfriend are still some the best TV ever. Well this film stars Matthew Macfadyen and his character Paul Prior has a lot of Tom Quinn in him.

I really, really liked this thriller. It's more dysfunctional family stuff, this time in New Zealand. The scenery looks beautiful, I cared what happened to the characters (even though most were kind of screwed up) and the whole feel of the film works. The small-town, rural New Zealand vibe feels authentic and the assumptions people make about others' behaviours and actions makes it well worthy of an extended discussion down the pub afterwards.

It's a slow film which can be a bit confusing at times as it jumps about using flashbacks, but it's an otherwise brilliant movie. It's even got a proper start and end too, which isn't always the case for character-based dramas. Oh by the way, if you want the missing two minute, dodgy sex scene you'll have to avoid the UK release. On balance I'm glad it's not there, as I think it would have introduced a character flaw that's better off excluded.

Recommended for people that like to watch awesome, thought provoking films, even ones with no aliens or explosions in them. Basically this is a must see film.

1 cat and no decapitations. It's only a cat walk-on part though; (well it's strictly a carry on part really).

Top badass moment? Not sure really. I guess I'll go for Paul Prior telling a few home truths about Celia's brother, only to be beaten up and thrown out of the house by him. Standing up to bullies even thought it means you're probably going to get the crap kicked out of you is badass, stupid yes, but badass.
August 8, 2011
trying to get my hands on the book now.
July 8, 2011
Este filme tem críticas excelentes mas sinceramente achei um pouco lento... mas a história até é interessante