Jack Goes Boating - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack Goes Boating Reviews

½ April 4, 2016
I thought this was a sensitive character study but you have to be patient. It doesn't hurry at all, but I wound up enjoying it.
½ January 25, 2016
I seem to be going with the majority opinion on this one, in that I really enjoyed the first two acts, which I thought were kind of lovely and sweet with great acting (what a wonderful cast) and compelling dialogue and characters, and then the third act goes a bit over the top and melodramatic in its confrontations and denouements and just feels tonally weird and out of place. Hoffman does a decent job, but he doesn't have the chops to pull off that ending without it feeling strange and unpleasant.
½ September 23, 2015
I love this movie and all the raw awesomeness that is Philip Seymour Hoffman! This movie is familiar and dreamy
January 2, 2015
A quirky story directed by and starring the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman. Great characters, some moments that will definitely make you smile.
December 11, 2014
For its simple ambition Jack Goes Boating tells an affecting tale with a welcoming pace.
October 6, 2014
Oh how the rich and clueless do real ordinary joes....what a bunch of horseshit..
August 23, 2014
Jack Goes Boating is a small film told extremely well. It is packed with emotional honesty and truth and is another reminder of the immense loss of Philip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman shines, as usual, as Jack an awkward and shy man searching for love. He directed the film too and it is shot with great skill and care and this film of two couples traversing the minefield of relationships is very human and very real.
½ July 31, 2014
Jack: "Don't worry, I'm a good swimmer". The movie is about a shy, fortyish limo driver with a fondness for pot and reggae music -- he likes it because it sounds happy -- who meets Connie (Amy Ryan) for a blind date set up by Connie's co-worker Lucy (Daphne Rubin-Vega), who is married to Jack's best friend and fellow limo driver, Clyde (John Ortiz). As the young couple tentatively come together, breaking through layers and layers of awkwardness and low self-esteem, Clyde and Lucy's marriage begins to dissolve because of Clyde's inability to get over an incident from their past. Philip Seymour Hoffman did a fantastic job acting and directing in this movie. I like Hoffman's character in this movie, hes like Forrest Gump but less stupid and even more lovable. The story is okay and the rest of the cast did a job as well. The shots in this movie looked beautiful and well shot.
May 18, 2014
good relationship movie
½ April 19, 2014
there were moments in the film where i had to laugh so much that i needed the pause button. and i usually don't laugh much. only thing that surprised me was the sexual overpower scene near the end of the movie. it seemed inconsistent
March 24, 2014
Tried twice to get through it but found myself not caring with 30 minutes to go ... Never finished. Love PSH though!
½ March 17, 2014
A great little film. Very interesting characters.
½ March 2, 2014
Unnecessarily sad story about characters that I failed to care about. Philip Seymour Hoffman was an excellent actor but not much of a director apparently.
February 7, 2014
ack Goes Boating was nominated for four major awards in 2010.[16] For his performance as Clyde, John Ortiz was nominated for a Gotham Award in the category of Best Breakthrough Actor.[16][17] The award went to Ronald Bronstein for his performance in Daddy Longlegs.[18] The film was also nominated for three Independent Spirit Awards.[16][19] John Ortiz was again nominated for his performance in the Best Supporting Male category but lost to John Hawkes in Winter's Bone.[16][19][20] Daphne Rubin-Vega was also nominated for her performance as Lucy in the Best Supporting Female category but lost to Dale Dickey in Winter's Bone.[16][19][20] Robert Glaudini was nominated in the Best First Screenplay category but lost to Lena Dunham for her screenplay Tiny Furniture.[
February 2, 2014
an incredibly written, powerfully acted, albeit unnecessary adaption of a beloved play.
½ January 5, 2014
I totally forgot about that filmed until 15 minutes into the filmed. When that snapped back into my head, I remember the TV spots. I didn't know he directed a film. Laura gave it to her as a birthday present along with the soundtrack of the film. Hoffman's film is a nice one. It's sweet, tender but can be aggressive. It's like a person who can snap when they hold all their emotions together. The dinner scene with all the major characters is a perfect example. I was impressed by the film in terms of acting, writing direction and cinematography. Apparently, it's an adaption from the stage-play. I can see that. It makes sense. The key scenes do they place at enclosed areas. Mostly houses. What I loved about the film are the montages and acting. The cinematography comes in full effect in those montages. They look amazing. Ethereal. I like how Hoffman intertwined reality and fantasy within the frame. It's pretty creative. Hoffman understands the frame. He understands the characters and their struggles. Hell, he's an actor and stars in the film. He has a great understanding of the story. The characters deal with the closeness of their friends and loved ones. There's alienation. There's unity in an awkward sense. Some couples match through their awkwardness. You might see that they don't match, but it's their vulnerability that gives it away. The more open you are, the more you're viable for a genuine connection wit another human being. The married couple is a mess that imploded. They're not open unless they are induced with drugs. I wish the film was a bit longer. It's too short for a drama. Even though it's hard to adapt stage-plays. I know that there's a lot to the characters. Exploration is needed. I felt there was some things that needed to have happened. Not a bad film at all. The things that I look for when I watch a film were mostly there. It's a sensitive film. I was amazed on his acting. His character is this timid fella who listens to his favorite song whenever bad shit happens. He keeps to himself but is very open for anything. He is smart but allows help from his friends. He's also pretty nice. He thinks of others. He's a guy you would love to have as a friend. I hope Hoffman's next film is as good as this one or even better. I'm sure he's gonna push for the latter. He has the skill and the crew for it. That is, if he works with the same cinematographer.
November 10, 2013
A film about ordinary people - perhaps they get a bit angrier about their lot in life than some of us do. The characters are struggling with their relationships, and we follow them as they move forward.
½ October 25, 2013
With fine and affecting performances all round, this is an enjoyably old-fashioned ensemble piece and a solid start to a career behind the camera. I say SEE IT!!!
½ September 17, 2013
It's a grim look at relationships, and probably for most, an all too real look.
August 15, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.