Johnny Be Good - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Johnny Be Good Reviews

½ April 23, 2019
Amazing cast wasted on a horrifically bad movie.
February 28, 2019
I remember loving this movie as a kid. Being a fan of Anthony Micheal Hall, it was great to see him break out of the Nerd roles. I remember being surprised at how much he had changed physically since the last movie he was in before this Weird Science. Probably doesn't hold up now but I won't watch it again to keep my fond memories of it.
½ November 1, 2018
80's humor, but there are a lot of classic lines. Not the greatest acting, but it's still entertaining. I can understand people hating the movie but I enjoyed it.
March 17, 2018
Stupid movie, yet still somehow feelgood, entertaining, and re-warchable
March 11, 2018
Just a great bad eighties movie.
April 20, 2016
it is possible to be so bad it is good as most know. Paul Gleason alone especially when they are at his house makes this enjoyable
July 21, 2015
Holy steaming pile of trash. Johnny Be Good is really bad. Anthony Michael Hall had two films in the 80's that come to mind when it came to his attempt to escape the typecast role of the nerd. One was Out Of Bounds, which kind of worked, and the other is this, where he plays the jock type. However, his casting in this role is a big problem. Watching AMH in this role is like a guy trying to be somebody they're not. I suppose he gives his best shot at being a snarky jock football star, but no matter how you look at it, it's ill-suited and awkward. This is film is a comedy without the comedy, just tasteless humor or humor that is questionable at what it was really trying to do. You watch scenes, and sit there wondering "Was I suppose to laugh at this?" Johnny is an unlikeable character who has everything go his way and who acts sort of asshole-ish and cocky, and even his morale moments can't save his character. Robert Downey Jr. plays his most awkward role yet as the oddball friend who literally does NOTHING but spurt out odd phrases and bizarre stories that come off mentally absurd. Not even Paul Gleason can do enough, minus him smashing a water tank with his own hand which made me laugh. I get that the film exposes the absurdity of how far colleges will go to throw materialism at students to join their schools on football scholarships, but it amounts to nothing realistic and has no merit. It aims for laughs with some distasteful antics that go nowhere. I love 80's comedies, and I like AMH and Robert Downey Jr. (watch him in Back To School, plays a more likeable weirdo in that film), but this film was a stinker and could've killed his career. Stay away.
½ May 9, 2015
What struck me about watching this film again is the presence of a black head football coach in the NCAA way back in 1988 (the vastly underrated Steve James), which is still (virtually) non-existent 20 yrs later. Blistering cover by Judas Priest of title song. Uma looks good in her major-picture debut. Howard Cosell and Jim McMahon offer cameos.
April 15, 2015
The studio had to know this horse $hit wasn't going to get very far.
March 30, 2015
Entertaining and fun movie
December 4, 2014
Awful. Note able only for the film debut of Uma Thurman.
November 2, 2014
one of my all time fav movies...
October 27, 2014
Don't know what everyone's problem is with this movie......it was a great 80's flick....was funny at times and showed the side of college football recruiting. Anthony M. Hall was great along with Uma Thurman and Robert Downey. By no means is it oscar worthy but it was a good all around film
½ September 7, 2014
Pretty awful 80s comedy where Anthony Michael Hall attempted to shed his dorky Sixteen Candles/Breakfast Club image. Hall is a star high school quarterback being heavily recruited by colleges as he also balances his time with friend Robert Downey Jr. and girlfriend Uma Thurman. Where the film goes wrong is that it's pretentious enough to think it's some sort of college football expose, while at the same time wallowing in some very unoriginal and unfunny 80s sex comedy tropes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against crass 80s sex comedies; "Valley Girl" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" are legitimate classics. The the film as a decent supporting cast that includes Paul Gleason, Seymour Cassel, Jennifer Tilly, Robert Downey Sr., John Pankow, Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon(who I'd totally forgotten about) and John Hawkes as Pizza Boy #1, but the script and direction (mostly an wildly uneven tone) ruins any chance the film had of being endearing. Downey is likable, but he's not in the film enough and Hall is ridiculously self serious. The film is barely watchable, with the exception of Downey, who brings some life to the film when he appears, and the novelty of seeing Uma Thurman before "Dangerous Liaisons" and "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" give the film a barely deserved one and a half stars.
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
July 24, 2014
So Bad it's really bad!
½ July 4, 2014
This piece of shit only gets 1/2 star because the app insists you give some sort a rating. Without doubt one of the wankiest flicks I have ever seen. Michael Hall is one annoying cunt as is Downey Jnr who I really wanted to punch in this face.
½ August 18, 2013
I really can't believe just how bad this was.
½ June 23, 2013
My God! Every single scene in this piece of absolute shit is some of stupidest, humorless, most unrealistic crap ever put on a screen. This movie stars people who either had a successful career prior, or would start one later in life. Either way this movie will definitely, or at least should, haunt them to the grave and beyond.