Josie and the Pussycats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Josie and the Pussycats Reviews

May 20, 2016
Hilarious and lighthearted with a real message hidden behind the humour.
½ February 2, 2016
I feel like there's something going on which caused most of the world to not "get" this movie, or maybe they just didn't even see it and rated it badly on what they expected. Josie and the Pussycats is a downright hilarious film that is so shockingly meta and self-referential that you almost need to watch it twice just to catch everything that is going on. The writers and directors are totally aware of what they are doing as they poke fun at every aspect of the movie they are making. The theme of the movie centers around the way that teens can become thoughtless followers and how the media manipulates that tendency to sell more. Yet, at the same time that it's telling us that story, it's throwing more and more product placement in our faces literally showing us how it's done in the real world. Apparently this genius stroke came from the director who wasn't even paid for most of this product placement and just used it to accentuate his point. Perhaps my favorite single moment in the film is when a character breaks the fourth wall and actually references the existence of these stories coming from comic books. Another great aspect of this film is how the costume designer and set decorator told the story of changing trends as the film progressed. We could see the colors in the background transition from one shade to the next as the story required.

The cast is brilliant, and all have well-defined character types. The most amazing performances, though, come from the amazing Alan Cumming and Parker Posey. Both of them perfectly tap into the messed up minds of their characters, and embrace the over-the-top evil of their plan. Perhaps the best casting decision is positioning Tara Reid as the brainless blonde drummer. She might not have much acting skill normally, but she can perfectly portray this kind of flighty ignorance. I know all of this praise might come as a shock because your natural tendency when you see the title, know what it's based on, and think of other films in the genre, is to think this is total garbage. I was one of those people, and ordinarily I would have ZERO interest in seeing this movie. However the DVD was given to me by a reliable source who said "it's better than you think it will be," and he was totally right. Josie and the Pussycats is a silly, funny, and perfectly self-aware movie. I'm sure not everyone will share this opinion, and even people who "get it" might not like it, but I would recommend that you think twice before writing off this film because I laughed pretty much from start to finish.
November 11, 2015
I'll go out on a limb and defend this movie. It's unabashedly lightweight fluff, but at the same time the film has a moderately subversive message mocking advertising and product placement masquerading as lightweight entertainment. For a film that could easily have been the type of fluffy entertainment that the film is mocking, it's kind of rises above that, even if the film still has a pretty lightweight tone. The film, obviously, tells the story of the Riverdale rock band, Josie and the Pussycats and their rise to the top. The cleverness comes when they begin dealing with devious managers and produces played by the great Alan Cumming and Parker Posey. Cummings and Posey are really too good for this film, but their presence definitely brings a higher level of comedy to the picture. You also get some other fine supporting part for Seth Green and Breckin Meyer as members of the annoying boy-band Du Jour. You also get Eugene Levy playing himself in a funny camera and you even get Carson Daly making fun of his pop culture persona. And look fast for Katharine Isabelle before she broke out with "Ginger Snaps." And not to neglect the Pussycats, they are all very likably portrayed by Rachael Leigh Cook, as Josie, Tara Reid, and Rosario Dawson. This film is certainly not high art or even a message movie, but it does have good enough of sense to know that it's fluff and takes a clever self-relative approach to the lightweight material. One interesting note of trivia, several of the cast members continued to work together on Seth Green's "Robot Chicken," including Breckin Meyer, Donald Faison, Rachael Leigh Cook, and Rosario Dawson. And another interesting item of note, Alan Cumming played a similar part in the equally fluffy Spice Girls film vehicle, "Spice World." That film also had the good sense to realize that it was silly fluff, as compared to the ridiculously self serious Brittany Spears vehicle "Crossroads" or the even worse Mariah Carrey vehicle "Glitter." Maybe it helped here that Josie and the Pussycats are not real musicals with real egos who were more comfortable being silly.
August 1, 2015
Well, not a great movie it does still have its share of funny moments.
½ July 25, 2015
Undiscovered gem. Loved this movie since it was in cinemas. A gateway drug to the brilliance that is Parker Posey.
½ July 1, 2015
There's isn't much to this film which makes sense since it doesn't attempt much. I will give it this though--what it tries to do, it does perfectly well. There are a bunch of good actors in this film and they make he most of the flimsy plot. Indeed, they appear to enjoy I themselves, which helps us enjoy what they are doing on screen. Even Tara Reid acts her ass off, which I didn't think was possible until catching this silly thing 15 years later.
June 16, 2015
the Archie comic/cartoon makes its transfer to the big screen
the 3 leads are terrific; Rachel Leigh Cook, Rosario Dawson, and Tara Reid expertly play the up-and-coming band
the music is addictive and the story about subliminal messages brainwashing the youth of America is a cultural topic that feels realistic enough even if it does have a sci-fi vibe to it
but I have to agree 100% that the product-placement in every frame of the film is beyond unforgiveable; it becomes so damn distracting and shameful that you're supposed to be paying attention to the plot, I'm guessing they seriously needed to advertise so much stuff in order to get the money back
still as far as an adaptation of a popular girl-band goes this one is preferable enough for young girls
June 2, 2015
Josie and the Pussycats is a colorful, bubbly, and ridiculous film that's impossible to not enjoy.
½ May 6, 2015
Pure bubble gum fluff that is firmly cemented in its time. However, its surprisingly smart humor about product placement and the brainwashing of teens by big corporations is wonderful. A true guilty pleasure.
May 3, 2015
Fun teeny bopper movie. Josie is adorable.
April 9, 2015
I grew up on this. One of my favorites
March 5, 2015
3/5/2015: An entertaining movie. Beautiful women and catchy pop music.
½ February 25, 2015
Take super cute Rachael Leigh Cook and Rosario Dawson and add a surprisingly cynical (maybe too much so) screenplay backed by a VERY strong soundtrack and you get this. Josie & The Pussycats.

The Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus says it all... which is to say that many didn't get the joke: "but the constant appearance of product placements seems rather hypocritical". Oops. That was the joke. The product placements were added to be ridiculous, and the production received almost no money from the companies they lampooned with their logos on everything. I think I read an interview with the director regretting that choice, confessing they could see that it might be an easy joke to miss.

It's all cartoonish and glittery fun, but I liked it enough to snag the DVD shortly after it came out and the soundtrack as well. It's probably a bit dated already, but I might have to give it another spin soon. Maybe you should try it out?
½ February 13, 2015
Full disclosure: I watched the "Josie and the Pussycats" cartoon when I was in kindergarten. I remember it as having a Scooby-Doo vibe, with some episodes even being set in outer space. This film adaptation bears no resemblance to that cartoon, as an evil record label wants to use subliminal messages in music to make teenagers buy stuff. Ugh. This is a loud, overly broad comedy that lands with a resounding thud.
February 1, 2015
Not for everyone, but still pretty good.
½ December 13, 2014
all i remember about this movie was that song, the soundtrack :D
October 14, 2014
A classic from my preteen years. I still know all the words to the songs even watching it years later ;)
September 9, 2014
Triple the plot devices as the comics - with half the actual plot. Would have been much better with Moose & Jughead. Though Reid nails the clueless blonde who can appreciate life as it unfolds.
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - Summer 2008)
August 14, 2014
Consider the many teachable moments.