Kelly's Heroes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kelly's Heroes Reviews

November 28, 2016
Entertaining film. Some of Rickles' jokes about the making of the film are funnier than some of the parts of the actual film. Still worth a watch.
November 2, 2016
My personal favorite war film. It's rare to see an all star ensemble produce awsomeness, but for some reason this movie and the dirty dozen managed to buck that trend. The plot is original, the acting and dialogue are perfect, war scenes are gritty and palpable. Maybe my only knock is that is was produced before Hollywood invented squibs.. so there is very little blood as opposed to modern war films.
The biggest surprise is Carrol O'Conner, who while playing a spoof of General Patton named "General Colt", gave audiences an early prototype of what would become "Archie Bunker". This comes complete with him giving his hapless subordinate Booker the very first 'meathead' look.
"The Deal" scene is iconic.. a wild west showdown in war torn France. It manages to be both awesome, serious, and hilarious at the same time.
Closest thing you'll find in modern war films to this is "3 Kings".. which I have also reviewed.
August 31, 2016
Meh.

This was recommended to by Netflix due to my strong rating of "The Dirty Dozen" That movie was hilarious, this one, not so much.

Maybe I need to re-watch Dirty Dozen and see if it holds up. I just find very little entertaining about war anymore.

This is the (allegedly humerous) tale of a band of Army misfits who learn of some Nazi Gold that is being stored in a bank, 16,000 bars of gold. Its behind enemy lines, and it looks like the Germans are going to fall any day now, wouldn't it be the prefect crime for them to go and steal it and not tell anyone.

So they ignore their order, and kill different people than the one the government originally told them to kill. They don't report a dead officer, so they can keep getting his brandy. Etc.

Eventually there is just one Nazi left blocking them, so they offer him some gold too.

the best part is the general is played by archie Bunker.
½ July 15, 2016
Kelly's Heroes is a fun WWII film, when a band of men get information about millions of gold behind enemy lines, Kelly and his men decide to go get the gold and in the process help the US army and its cause. Kelly's Heroes has memorable characters and fun action, overall it is a very good movie.
May 17, 2016
Love this movie, Clint reminds me of my dad
April 14, 2016
Excellent film, compared to the crap that is dished out these days. It has all the right ingredients, good actors, scenery you name it.
They should be making more films of this calibre, but thE STUDIOS PANDER TO THE IGNORANT, BRAINLESS MAJORITY WHO , follow any rubbish these days, Oh bring back the good old days I say.
½ October 5, 2015
Notice a marked similarity between the story in this film and the setting for Three Kings, which took the story and turned it in a different, more serious direction.
½ September 11, 2015
I would consider this a spoof which could have been titled "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad War".
½ September 5, 2015
A forgotten war buddies movie that has a lot of A list stars checking their egos at the door for the good of this fun watch movie.
July 3, 2015
What a group of great actors, just having a ball. Great movie.
June 6, 2015
Popcorn war film is short on the "Saving Private Ryan" horrors of war, but is long on comedy, action and excitement. Clint Eastwood leads a rag tag squadron of soldiers in the waining days of WWII on a mission to steal some German gold. When your squad includes the likes of Don Rickles, Donald Sutherland, Gavin MacLeod and Harry Dean Stanton, you know it's not your typical band of brothers. It's a completely lightweight film, but incredibly entertaining. Directed by Brian G. Hutton, who'd previously directed Clint in the rally exciting, though much more serious, "Where Eagles Dare," has a good ear for comedy and has a firm grasp for how to handle action. Telly Savalas, Carroll O'Connor and Perry Lopez also appear in the film and Lalo Schifrin provides a good score. "All Quiet on the Western Front" it is not, but it's a pretty unique mixture of humor and tough war action.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Great war classic with many famous actors. Fun aswell.
November 18, 2014
Kelly's Heroes is a really entertaining film courtesy of its lively and at times very entertainingly well told story which reminds me of the George Clooney film Three Kings
November 15, 2014
Best war comedy ever!
November 11, 2014
Not bad not bad at all.
November 10, 2014
this movie is amazing!!!!
½ November 9, 2014
Guy's Film
This is my favorite Clint Eastwood movie. It's a World War II comedy/adventure movie. It's set in the weeks after the liberation of Paris in 1944. A squad of soldiers in a fictional National Guard unit has been deployed in a rural section of northern France. Every time they are about to enter a large city, regular Army troops are allowed to bypass them and enjoy the soft beds and clean showers. They are unhappy and loosing moral. Their unofficial leader is Clint Eastwood who plays a former lieutenant who has been demoted after leading a suicide attack against a hill in the weeks after D-Day. He was blamed for the excessive casualties even though he was just following orders. Telly Savalas plays the squad's sergeant. During a German attack Clint Eastwood's character "Kelly" captures a German officer carrying two bars of gold. From the German he learns that there is a large stash of Nazi gold in a bank behind enemy lines. Kelly convinces the squad to go with him to steal the gold before the Germans can move it. He then recruits a greedy supply sergeant played by Don Rickles. This is one of the funniest roles Don Rickles ever played. Donald Sutherland plays a hippie tank commander who has been separated from his unit. I doubt there were any hippie tank commanders in WW2 but I've been told that there were a lot of tank commanders just like the Donald Sutherland character in Vietnam. Remember that this movie was made during the Vietnam War. Donald Sutherland's character is called "Oddball" and asks to go along with his three tanks. Oddball has some of the funniest lines in the movie. Example, "I don't know what makes them work, I just ride in them". Or, "Don't make with the negative waves". At the end of the movie is a face off with the German tank commander that's done just like one of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns. In addition to the good story, funny lines, and exiting action the theme song is a catchy tune that actually made the pop charts in the early 1970's. This is basically a guy's movie. There are no women characters. Rent this movie to watch with your buddies.
½ September 14, 2014
A good WWII movie, full of action, an interesting story and humor. Captures the post war hippy feeling in Sutherland's oddball character, he put me in stitches. Eastwood was not his best, but perhaps it was due to the average writing.