Kiss Me Kate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kiss Me Kate Reviews

October 16, 2016
I love musicals; however, I got a little bored with this one.
January 24, 2016
I love this movie! Great adaptation of the musical!!
October 10, 2015
Shakespeare but still not my thingie
July 16, 2015
This film has that spark of magic, that not many others did. I know this because I am brilliant.
½ June 13, 2015
I liked the idea of a happenings going on between a play which bear similarity to the play. I suppose that it has such good rating probably it was 1st 3d film and secondly musical plays of Taming the shrew must have been rage in USA. Otherwise the film has nothing much to offer.
½ April 14, 2015
I recently saw this play for the first time and really enjoyed it. I expected to like this movie more. I felt like a lot of the magic was lost on screen. Why would they make one of the best staged numbers ("Too Darn Hot") into what felt like is filmed as an after thought. Adding Cole Porter to the movie didn't help the show. In fact I found it to be silly. There were some nice numbers still, and Ann Miller was wonderful, but I feel like this could have been better.
October 22, 2014
Couldn't get into the story, the characters were uninteresting, and the actors were pretty bland.
August 22, 2014
Kiss Me Kate is an odd and playful movie with music by Cole Porter. I really loved some of the songs, but I wasn't initially crazy about others. I wouldn't quite consider this to be one of the better MGM musicals, but it is worth seeing once. (First and only viewing - 8/1/2011)
March 1, 2014
An unfunny and forgettable musical comedy.
½ January 26, 2014
Kiss Me, Kate functions as a meta-rendition of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. It centers on a divorced couple of Broadway stars whose backstage shenanigans parallel the character's they're playing. It boasts a playful script and one of Cole Porter's finest collection of songs. This 1953 movie version adapts the spirit of the musical in a nigh-seamless way. Bob Fosse stages excellent dance sequences, the charming cast glosses over some of the more dated elements of the script, and George Sidney's direction keeps things moving at an appropriately cinematic pace.
½ December 14, 2013
Kiss Me Kate is a lively adaptation of the hit Broadway show that is funny and fittingly jovial, but not particularly memorable.
½ September 30, 2013
It's fun while it lasts, but it'll be a struggle for me to barely remember this one.
½ July 5, 2013
Eh. Ann miler is amazing
December 7, 2012
Kiss Me Kate
Synopsis: An ex-husband and wife team star in a musical version of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew", but off-stage the production is rife ex-lovers' quarrels and gangster lookinf for some money owed to them.
Starring: Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Ann Miller, Bobby Van, Keenan Wynn
Directed by: George Sidney
½ August 26, 2012
Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson work so well together. And I adore his voice!

"Brush up your Shakespeare" is one of the greatest songs form a musical...EVER! Hands down!! Listen to it if you haven't already.
½ June 14, 2012
"The Taming of the Shrew" provides a decent framework to hang a bunch of Cole Porter song on.
½ June 12, 2012
A musical within a musical based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew". What's not to like?

Grade: B+
January 22, 2012
apart from the "show within a show," I liked this movie. the characters were stock, but still fun (especially the two gangsters), the dancing was pretty awesome, and the music was, for the most part, catchy and enjoyable. I really didn't like the Taming of the Shrew, though--although the costumes were fantastically over-the-top with strong commedia influences, the "musical adaptation" was really not impressive. the songs didn't fit in at all. if that was an actual production, I'd strongly recommend avoiding it. overall, though, this is an entertaining musical with a solid ensemble cast, great dance numbers, and a classic Cole Porter score.
½ January 20, 2012
Featuring some spanking that flustered many a nun, this musical in a musical is a pleasant collection of Cole Porter songs.
January 12, 2012
This has been one of my favorite musicals since I was a kid. First and foremost, when you have Cole Porter music, you already have a winner. The dancing is superb as well, with Bob Fosse, Bobby Van, Tommy Rall and especially Ann Miller. Her "Too Darn Hot" number is not to be missed. The sets and costumes are terrific to see. Very colorful. The movie was originally filmed in 3D, so if you happen to have a pair of 3D glasses, put 'em on and enjoy. I own this DVD and I never get tired to watching it.