La Bamba Reviews

• Nov 28, 2020

With compelling performances (particularly a perfectly cast Lou Diamond Phillips), a catchy soundtrack and an engaging narrative, it brings the story of short-lived rock icon Ritchie Valens to the big screen in a skillful, creative, sincere, respectful and masterful way that brings justice to its subject.

• Aug 11, 2020

The tragic tale of Ritchie Valens (real name Ricardo Valenzula) is told in this heartfelt and classic biopic. A rags to riches tale that is lifted even higher by its electric, catchy and joyous soundtrack, La Bamba is an ode to the 50s further proving the fact that Valens was taken away to soon.

• Jul 22, 2020

You know for a movie that's in the Library of Congress, nobody really talks about La Bamba all that much. How come? This was a really good biography about a singer who was tragically gone too soon with spot-on casting, classic music and a lot of heart. It's a decidedly unpretentious rags-to-riches biopic and even when with the ending being a foregone conclusion for anyone who knows even the vaguest thing ablut Richie Valens, it doesn't stop it from being any less shocking and poignant. It's not hard to suspect the end credits clip of the titular song was added so that audiences wouldn't be too depressed leaving the cinema. Regardless, La Bamba is a criminally underrated movie and if you love biographies, then you should definitely check this one out.

• Jul 12, 2020

Endearing and heartbreaking.

Endearing and heartbreaking.

• May 25, 2020

If you love 50s rock, you gotta see it. If you don't, you still gotta see it!

If you love 50s rock, you gotta see it. If you don't, you still gotta see it!

• May 24, 2020

I saw the opening scene (one of the best opening scenes I've ever watched), and I was convinced that this movie was a gem. The visual style, acting and sub-plots are correctly used in order to make the audience get interested and get familiarized with the protagonist, cause if not, it would have the becoming-more-generic-through-time format where a musician struggles for his career and personal problems and the climax is their big last concert. That's not this case. Well, sometimes it feels like it is, I have to accept, but because of what I mentioned before, it works, giving us the emotions we are supposed to feel.

• May 14, 2020

One of the best music biopics

One of the best music biopics

• May 03, 2020

Una buena historia, tiene una trama aceptable, muy buena música y las actuaciones son maravillosas.

• Apr 28, 2020

A great throwback music film that I was able to sit down and watch with my dad.

A great throwback music film that I was able to sit down and watch with my dad.

• Apr 26, 2020

The story of the youngest one involved in the "day the music day", great use of music all through the movie. Side story takes to much place could be used to focus more on his stardom rising.