La Vie en Rose (La Mome) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Vie en Rose (La Mome) Reviews

December 8, 2016
Outstanding performance by Marion Cotillard
November 8, 2016
Marion Cotillard was superb !
½ October 23, 2016
The movie itself is ok, quite melodramatic at times, but the story works well. The cinematography was good too, scenes like the last one are worth watching. I also enjoyed how the scenes were not in chronological order, even though this could result in a bit of confusion sometimes. What really shines through the whole movie is Marion Cotillard's oscar-worthy acting; definitely one of the best performances i've seen in a while
½ July 5, 2016
As an Edith Piaf biopic, "La Vie En Rose" is a messy, somewhat underwhelming effort - but as a showcase for Marion Cotillard, the actress stuns in a captivating, award worthy performance.
March 23, 2016
I don't think I have ever been so amazed by an acting performance in my life. I have seen "La Vie en Rose" three or four times over the years. Each time, I am in awe of Marion Cotillard and more blown away. She absolutely became Edith Piaf in every way, from the body language to the facial expressions. In my opinion, it is the most well deserved Oscar win for an actor or actress. Considering the fact that she was relatively unknown in America at the time makes the Oscar win ever better. The film itself is very depressing, though. Pretty much everything Piaf experiences in this film is heartbreaking and shattering. She had a very sad and unfortunate life, mostly. Cotillard's performance alone makes the film all worth it, though.
December 19, 2015
Magical performance by Marion Cotillard
November 13, 2015
Marion Cottilard's exceptional performed in every single scene cut
½ August 17, 2015
Absolutely astonishing movie. Made me cry. You have to watch it!
½ July 26, 2015
Marion Cotillard is a not only a true beauty but an incredibly talented French actress. I had heard that she previously had won the academy award but I didn't actually see her in a film until inception than a few other films such as public enemies, Nine, and the Dark Knight rises. After checking out those flicks It was clear that cotillard was powerhouse actress. La Vie En Rose mainly serves as acting vehicle and shows off her amazing talents in immersing herself in a role. Edith Piaf was a complicated and troubled woman and Cotillard beautifully brings to life Piaf's spirit on the big screen while also portraying the pain she dealt with most her life.
The film is shown mainly in a back and forth sequence as we firs see Edith as a young girl before going straight to when she was in 30's and back to her younger years. The film highlights Piaf living with prosititutes when she was young, moving around with her father, singing for change, the many men in her life and how some of her biggest hits such as "Non je ne regrette rien" came about.
Before I get into the performance I gotta say The film itself is ok not very impressive but ok. Now to Marion colittard, she is extraordinary here. Her embodiment into edith piaf is a sight to behold. Her singing was incredible and even going back and listening to the real edith piaf the voice is unbelievably stunning. Edith piaf had quite the interesting life. kinda think her going blind story was a bit exaggerated but the rest is quite surprising. She really got around with men I see and had quite the personality
Incredible costume work colittard is almost unrecognizable here. Lighting was nice and decent in scenes. Editing was a little well not my taste. Had one good moment. The final sequence I will admit was quite extraordinary. I now love non je ne regrette rien after watching that final secne.
La vie en rose pretty much introduced us to a rare French talent that wowed the hell out of all us and to think Cotillard continued with another French role that landed her another nomination. Cotillard is an amazing actress point blank period
July 22, 2015
The biopic of Edith Piaf. An interesting story worth watching for the performance of Marion Cotillard alone.
May 29, 2015
Marion Cotillard brings Edith Piaf back to life. Sublime.
½ May 29, 2015
Dahan got very lucky when he was able to cast Marion Cotillard as Piaf. She is amazing. Tetsuo Nagata's cinematography is also effective. Other than that, this film is not worthy of it's subject matter. Surprisingly bland for the amount of praise it received at the time. Cotillard has gone on to do even better work that has sadly not been recognized much in the US.
May 26, 2015
INCREDIBLE. Marion Cotillard is absolutely extraordinary. And so unrecognizable! The cinematography is brilliant. An unforgettable biopic about one of the greatest singers.
½ May 9, 2015
UGH. It's not playing in my area...I guess I have to wait until it comes out on DVD...MERDE!
½ April 20, 2015
Bio pics usually bug me - they can be SO formulaic. This one is definitely a cut above. You get a real feel for this fragile and tragic but defiant and beautiful figure that is Edith Piaf. If you can watch her doing her final number "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" with a dry eye, you're a better man than me.
½ March 14, 2015
8.8/10
Marion Cotillard was the heart and soul of this emotionally riveting movie. She delivered an outstanding performance that totally transformed her into someone else. You could totally see her getting lost in her character and not being herself anymore. Moreover, the movie was also very powerful and had a very unique way of telling her story by skipping the timelines. But overall, it was a very touching and raw biography lead by the always amazing Cotillard.
~March 14, 2015~
March 14, 2015
Brilliant embodiment by Marion Cotillard, you won't see mere "acting" here - this is a stunning portrayal, and a sad, yet engrossing story of a singer and her rag tag roots. Satisfying and complete, this is an experience to be had.

4 tears-in-the-throat ballads out of 5
March 13, 2015
Endless beauty, a movie that you'd watch over and over, Marion <3
Edith <3
French language <3
That's 3 things you'd love the most cuz of this movie :D
½ February 23, 2015
This is an interesting biopic telling the story of Edith Piaf, featuring an outstanding performance of her by Marion Cotillard. I would have preferred a more linear approach but the last section is strong and the final song stirring. No regrets. 1001
February 15, 2015
Marion Cotillard's performance is out of this world and deserving of the Oscar she received for it but the film is presented out of sequence where we keep going back and forth and back and to the middle and forth again so much that we're never really sure when we are.