Labyrinth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Labyrinth Reviews

November 26, 2016
Labyrinth can't help but be a much more entertaining film visually rather than on a narrative level but the film nevertheless benefits from the presence of David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King, some imaginative moments, memorable characters and musical numbers that ought to please both kids and adults.
November 20, 2016
Definitely a plausible contender for the title of "Most 80s Movie Ever."
November 12, 2016
This is why you never trust the Tomatometer. Critics are out of touch! Thay have no idea what an amazing film is.
½ November 7, 2016
I watched this weirdness and I have been scarred by David Bowie's crotch bulge.
½ October 24, 2016
Jennifer was really quite a cutie. It a crazy muppet film, filled with crazy characters. Never seen it before. Quite ridiculus at the beginning and many other times thoughout, which could be a quality for a comedic film. Great set and animations.
October 17, 2016
Runner up to that other crying baby triumph ERASERHEAD, LABYRINTH is almost too strange for adults. Connelly's character is selfish and egotistical, but gradually gives in to the fantasy Bowie and Henson create.
September 19, 2016
Loved it, cult classic still watch it with my kids and we can all quote it word for word
September 17, 2016
- I enjoyed rewatching this and it looks stunning on Blu Ray. There's a ton of creativity here and the special effects are outstanding. Definitely worth a watch, especially for Bowie fans.

- I am sure I saw this as a kid, but didn't remember it at all. It's a fun watch with some great creatures created by Jim Henson. A must for kids and I think most adults would like it as well.
September 14, 2016
As a Bowie fan, it's worth the watch. As a Jim Henson fan, it's worth seeing it all. The characters are brought to life and the sets are a visual spectacle. It takes a hell of an imagination to make it memorable, and the film did just that in the best way. We see ourselves in Jennifer Connelly, and thus we see ourselves in the film braving the journey and staring down Bowie. As a result, the ride will be just as unstable and trippy in most places as it was for her. It's a fantasy film that will forever be etched in our minds.
September 11, 2016
Love it, love everything about it.
September 11, 2016
I love this movie, I have since I was a child!
½ September 10, 2016
Nostalgia holds a magical power over people. It can warm souls, comfort sadness, project youth, and even cloud judgment. This makes films like Labyrinth particularly difficult to read critically. Much like Goonies, Henson's Labyrinth's, a mix of wry comedy and innovatively designed ideas, put a loving trance on swaths of 20-40 year olds who happened to see it at the right time. Much like many of its ilk, I'm not sure it completely deserves all the accolades it gets from its fanboys/girls. However, it's still fantastical fun, even if its storytelling urgency is less than fully engulfing.
It's a film more interested in incidents than plot (girl wishes brother would leave, goblins steal brother, sister has to get brother back). In that sense, and many others, it harkens Alice in Wonderland (my favorite Disney Animated film). It's an intensely imaginative movie that follows a bored young girl (played by Connelly with the charisma of a mannequin) as she encounters an adventure full of odd characters, winding streets, and inexplicable magic. The characters within the maze are fun and distinct, and Bowie matches the dark mystery of the story while keeping a childish wonder right below the surface.
The difference between this and other kids-fantasy-adventures I REALLY love is hard to pinpoint. The design is outstanding, the humor is affable, the characters are surprising, and the scenes pop with surprise. Again, I can only assume my distance from this film during my early age keeps me at a slight distance. Nonetheless, this is an enjoyable piece of 80s pop-culture that I'm shocked Tim Burton and Johnny Depp haven't ruined with a CG-covered remake. Give it time.
August 30, 2016
An apology of sorts for The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth is a kind of hybrid of Alice in Wonderland, M.C. Escher and countless fairy tale tropes. The major issues are an unlikable protagonist and lapses into silliness in the third act that completely undermine the drama. But it's still a fun film with great moments and an iconic performance by David Bowie. Notable for the involvement of George Lucas, Labyrinth offers a preview of the flaws that were to plague the Star Wars prequels.
August 28, 2016
I watched this movie right before I left for college, and as a consequence, I walked three miles to the nearest comic book store on FCBD every year since, just to get the latest Archaia/BOOM! Studios Labyrinth comic. David Bowie gave the film a dazzling performance and an even more unforgettable sound track. He's the perfect villain and the perfect love interest all rolled up into one. My only qualm was that they never made out in the movie, which was fair I guess, given the age difference. If you loved David Bowie, you'll love this film. Archaia and BOOM! did a good job with their Labyrinth short stories too, but under no circumstances should ANYONE read the Return to Labyrinth graphic novels. Tokyopop and Jake T. Forbes defecated on the legacy of Henson and Labyrinth by writing those novels the way they did, so any true Labyrinth fan should read all the other associated Labyrinth media BESIDES those volumes.
August 27, 2016
Again, this is my childhood!
½ August 5, 2016
Labyrinth is directed by Jim Henson, and it stars Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie in a adventure fantasy film about a teenager who's tired of her baby brother, ask for him to be sent away by the Goblin King, and the Goblin King took the baby while Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) regrets what she has done, and goes to the labyrinth to go save her brother. When I heard about David Bowie, and how he was well known for not only his music, but for also being in Labyrinth, I wanted to see it when I got the chance for it. When I got to see it, I really like it, but it wasn't much of a magical experience to me. I know there are some people who were more forgiving of Jennifer Connelly's acting in this, but I didn't think she was that good in it. There were times that she was good, but overall, she just seemed kind of whiny to me and it just doesn't seem like a good choice. The actor that is having a lot of fun, is David Bowie. He acts like his own persona, and is giving it all he has with this. The puppet effects look really good that it looks different from another puppet in this, and it seems like they were focusing more on that than the plot, which wasn't really that interesting. The supporting characters are memorable, and the humor is funny at times. With Jim Henson, George Lucas, and Terry Jones involved with it, Labyrinth turns into a really good movie that while not perfect, I can see the heart and care of the film, and the fan base for this as it deservingly does so.
½ July 10, 2016
Since the release of 'Blackstar' in 8 January 2016 and the event that transpired 2 days later, I been wanting to revisit Jim Henson´s last directorial effort, the film that made me know David Bowie was (both this film and Queen´s ´Under Pressure´ made me look up his work) and one of the most memorable films of my childhood, the film that flop in its time but now has achieved a massive cult following: "Labyrinth".
Sarah is a 16 year old teenager that is tasked by his father and stepmother to babysit her baby brother, but Sarah being more interested in her fantasy books, she considers the task as a burden so she decides to offer her young sibling to the Goblin King. Much to her surprise, her wish is granted, thus she meets Jareth the Goblin King who refuses to return the baby at first but won over by Sarah´s pleading, he decides to give Sarah a chance: She has 13 hours to retrieve the baby from his castle, which is located at the end of a magical labyrinth.
Revisiting a childhood favorite is a little scary as it is highly probable that said film isn't as good as you remember (a good example for me is "Monsters Inc.") so I was terrify by the idea of my adult self not standing this film, but fortunately that idea was wrong. "Labyrinth" has many pros and some cons. Regarding the cons, the film overstays its welcome as by the time the last act begins it film has run out of ideas, the story is extremely simplistic (to the point of being a more kidify version of "Wizard of Oz") and overall meaningless, most of the musical numbers are forgettable, the humor is at times extremely juvenile, Connelly´s acting is groan inducing at times (granted, she interacts convincingly with the puppets but still her delivery is painful at time) and a bizarre sexual subtext, which is not subtle at all, that's questionable for a kids film (not talking about the theme of maturation). But now let's address the pros of Henson´s last directorial job. The puppet work is not only masterful but mesmerizing as throughout the first two acts it continues to bring new ideas that are interesting to witness, the visual style is a weird mixture of the already mentioned "Wizard of Oz" with little touches of the Surreal movement; David Bowie´s acting steals the film as it is as charismatic as you would expect from a Chameleon entertainer as he was, the Monty Python feel is present (even if Terry Jones´ script wasn't used, you can still see his fingerprints), the characters may be archetypes but they are memorable (mostly due to their look), the soundtrack is really peculiar (some songs work, others come and go), the theme is more than obvious but still is a good lesson to teach children and it is executed solidly, most of the special effects (with obvious exceptions) still look convincing, and overall it is extremely entertaining for children and adults.
"Labyrinth" is a film that's filled with charm and imagination. While it may be seen as childish and dated, it still is a gorgeous looking film with some dark subtext for a film aimed at kids. A flawed but charming film that I dare say is a must see for kids.
½ June 20, 2016
Okay. I'm going to be very honest right now. This is the strangest, most bizarre piece of film I have ever seen, and honestly, I don't want to see it again. It was freaky. It just made me go, "What the hell was that?" I watched this movie thinking something awesome would come, but that "awesomeness" turned out to be a movie full of puppets literally decapitating themselves. That's not right. Sounds more like this idea originated from someone who came to Jim Henson, drunk beyond belief, and Henson agreed to this idea. It's a movie not entirely worth the PG rating.
½ June 20, 2016
This typical 80s muppet adventure contains all the highlights and lows of the era: a pop soundtrack by David Bowie (who is also a fine villain), a simple but enthralling story, lovable characters that sometimes burst into songs, but also some cheesy lines, dated special effects and a simplistic plot. Of course, none of those things mattered if you saw this film at the right age when it came out. Most of the dolls still look pretty fine and especially unique today and there are some amazing visual effects in the film. Jennifer Connelly started her great career with this and the Henson studios once again proved that they are the masters of puppets. It's easy to find flaw in this film today, but for its time it was pretty outstanding and still works for an entertaining rainy afternoon now.