London Road Reviews

• Jun 29, 2019

The true story of how a serial killer effects Ipswich England. The filmmaker took sexual quotes and used it and repetitive and musical ways did you pick the fears and fascination the locals had. It's very well done, fascinating to watch. The songs are very good. But ultimately, it trivializes a horrible subject that is cause a lot of pain

• Sep 14, 2018

Very odd and very poor

Very odd and very poor

• Aug 01, 2018

Snippets of interviews about the Ipswich murders are turned verbatim into rather dour song - think The Arbor crossed with Sondheim. This concept is very challenging and I hadn't got my head round it even by the end and certainly did not come close to enjoying it. I could see the value though, especially in terms of the ensemble repeating and magnifying the meagre information and rumours spreading through the community. Let's be honest, I also would never have watched a film on this subject without a substantial distancing device (the opposite of the one-star-reviewers!)

• Feb 19, 2018

Is it supposed to be a musical???

Is it supposed to be a musical???

• May 31, 2017

Completely innovative and enthralling. Certainly isn't universally appealing, but the way this work was conceived, constructed, and actualized is something to behold. Part docu-drama, part post-modern musical, and wholly and expertly crafted with complete dedication to its purpose.

• Mar 10, 2017

Strange concept. But I loved the way the rhythm and cadence of natural speech was translated into music.

• Mar 09, 2017

One of the most affecting musical movies I've seen. Creature Comforts the live action movie. A triumph of ambition.

• Mar 09, 2017

I write as someone born and bred in Ipswich, 1959-. I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to make this travesty : we gave up as soon as the fake newsreaders, reading news about a fake Ipswich town centre, watched by residents of a fake London Road complete with gasometers (there are none here), started rapping ; it seemed to be a spoof of a musical form that was itself intent on demeaning / deriding the awful events that occurred. Pretty sick ; and just awful. Binned.

• Feb 05, 2017

Based on the 2011 play of the same name, certainly not for "casual movie watcher" tastes but a beautifully choreographed experience of a film. Drama, comedy, musical, flowers, serial killings? Those expecting a court-case will be disappointed. Think "The Winslow Boy," a play (and film) about the effect of what's happening on those it affects. Colman and Fleetwood shine in their roles, as do those portraying The Media. "It Could Be Him" would be my favorite bit, as is "It's a Wicked Bloody World" and the rib-tickling "Cellular Material." Kudos to the creators. This was an entertaining, out-of-the-ordinary watch. For every bit that feels awkward, there's a dozen clever, uplifting ones.

• Nov 19, 2016

Sorry -- couldn't stand the singing - if that's what you want to call it.

Sorry -- couldn't stand the singing - if that's what you want to call it.