Magic Magic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magic Magic Reviews

April 9, 2016
I think this is marketed badly. It's not a thriller at all - it's about mental illness.
Juno temple and Emily Browning do well here. The rest of the cast are irritating.
The movie moves slowly and the ending isn't really what you would want to see either.
I liked it, but it's not entirely engaging and I wouldn't watch it again.
½ March 13, 2016
Just weird horrible and boring
March 13, 2016
Undoubtedly it is disturbing and things are left lingering in your mind, but the whole film is just so pedestrian and flawed. So expect it to be memorable but maybe not for all the right reasons.
March 12, 2016
Psychological breakdown of a young US tourist in Chile.
The film descends into a mixture of paranoia, scenes of witchcraft and downright breakdown.
I say young the person in question is not a child but a young woman Alicia visiting her cousin Sara in Chile.
Sara has a mixture of oddball freinds including her boyfriend Augustin, his sister Barbara and freind Brink, the most sadistic of the lot.
On a trip to a secluded island cabin, Sara temporarily has to return for a school exam apparently. It leaves Alicia alone in a foreign country amongst strangers who speak their native Spanish language for good measure.
The oddballs delve in drunken games, mild animal cruelty and base jumping through the film. Alicia descends into a deeper state of psychological dedpair as the film unfolds.
Some people wrongly class this film a horror which under my definition of blood and slasher characteristics of the genre it is far from being.
Towards the end we see Alicia being pumped with homemade pills and local witchcraft practices as the nearest conventional hospital is hours away.
½ February 6, 2016
This movie had some of the worst acting I have ever seen. There is no fluidity to the story/acting.... Save your money! Do not Rent! The story was as ridiculous as the acting. The current positive comments had to have come from directors or someone directly related to the movie, there is no way someone could rate this movie in a positive light. I've seen some bad movies in my time, the current worst movie is "guilty by association" but this movie is now #1 on my worst movies list. If you are going to create a movie, here's an idea, Have a point!
½ November 28, 2015
i usually dont like this king of film but this is near flawless. if you go in with the mindset that this is a drama and not a horror, you will really see its brilliance
½ October 6, 2015
Close to 3 stars because this movie really isn't that bad. It's certainly WEIRD and the performances are quite interesting to say the least. But the editing is choppy and overall the film as a whole doesn't come together, despite some thrilling concepts.
July 22, 2015
This is an incredibly strange film. It held my interest though. The ending was weak, but it also somehow fit in with the weirdness of it all.
June 12, 2015
Rented during a binge of Juno Temple films and I have to say that overall the weird atmosphere of the film works, although the ending ultimately left me a bit cold. Temple and Emily Browning are fun in this and Michael Cera gives a truly creepy and unnerving performance as a foreigner who seems to vacillate between goofy and menacing at the drop of a hat.

Rental.
March 24, 2015
Michael Cera and Juno Temple again prove their acting chops, but this excellent cast isn't enough to warrant watching the film. A handful of young people go spend some time in a remote location. Don't expect comedy or horror. I had trouble sticking with it because it is full of noisy shouting and bickering between the group members as Juno Temple's character has trouble sleeping and is tormented by possible hallucinations, possible vertigo, and some sleepwalking.
March 12, 2015
I tend to rate like the critics so I gave it a chance. Guess I'm to stupid to have understood the point of this movie.
February 3, 2015
Kept me wondering and thinking about what was gonna happen and why was it happening. Sad to say but it had a terrible ending not much was explained. Worth watching I guess.
January 4, 2015
I feel like this is a movie you need to know some one who has or had a mental illness in order to understand what was going on. It was a very slow paced film that the trailer made me thinking it was going to be something else completely... Sadly I think that's what changed my thoughts on the film. I kept thinking in the back of my mind that something different was actually going on.

Well directed, great acting, I just feel like it was something I could not relate to.
December 18, 2014
Magic Magic starts really well, with interesting characters and great atmosphere.
Then it starts to go for some really weird and loud scenes that kinda freaked me out, but I guess that's what Silva was going for. The tension is well managed here, and the visuals are really amazing, it's beautiful to look at, but the best thing of the movie is Juno Temple's character, Alicia. The end is really inconclusive, it left me with bad taste because I wanted something more to happen, and I asked myself what was going on, because it couldn't end there. But it did. The performances are really great, everyone is great here, but as her character, Juno Temple steals the show. If you like weird and tense suspense films see the film, but don't expect a classic.
December 6, 2014
This film can't decide whether it's a psychological tale, or a horror film. Consequently it's a mess. Temple and Cera deserve better.
November 9, 2014
the nightmare that is a teenage girl without her phone - chilling
½ November 2, 2014
Another journey into Chile with Cera and Silva, this is an interesting work. Ultimately it is a slight film that is big on mood and uses its cast extremely well. Temple is on very good form, her character is frustrating to be around and it is to her credit that we stick with her. Cera plays a very douchy character and does a great job. Overall this is an engaging flick that makes the most of the ominous mood that it creates. Well worth a watch....
October 9, 2014
So heavily arty that, despite interesting camera work, it ends up being an absolute mess!
October 1, 2014
Algo chiflada pero entretiene.
½ September 30, 2014
Fish out of water story that explores the limits of the mind and ones sanity under under the duress of a completely alien situation to that of the known norm. It's not done in an appealing way either.