Maniac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maniac Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
Uniquely told remake that takes the guilty gory thrills of the original and gives it a little more class; making for a more enjoyable, if still disturbing watch.
September 26, 2016
Unfortunately it lacked a lot in character, story and chase scenes. Very forgettable
August 28, 2016
Anyone who has seen Wood's silent creepy character from Sin City can become intrigued with this role. Besides the cover art from the 1980's slasher, nothing else really stands out about the original, so decent choice for a remake. This is a solid film. Wood is creepy as hell. Not so much a metaphor as a reality about the horrors of dating, the film does exploit the online dating experience in it's most obvious and horrifying way. I may have expected more, but since it did leave a bad taste in my mouth, I later realized how good this little psycho flick was.
August 27, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie. I had no idea it was a remake. Elijah Wood gave a brilliant performance at Frank the Maniac. I have no idea why this has such a low rating. I did not mind the gore, it was needed for this film and the style and the feel of the film is really creative. This is a risky, intelligent and stylish film. A must see for any fans of horror.
August 16, 2016
Absolutely repugnant, but strangely well-done for what it is.
½ August 13, 2016
Wood is the perfect creep. And this movie is creepy.
August 3, 2016
I liked this way better than the original.
½ July 9, 2016
I liked it more than I thought I would. I finally tried to watch the original in the past year, but didn't get through it. The 1st person angle worked well and a Wood brought a little bit of sympathy to the monster.
½ July 6, 2016
Maniac is beautifully filmed, well acted, and has an amazing score. Unfortunately this POV slasher's sadistic tone was more disgusting than interesting.
June 29, 2016
A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Last House on the Left, The Amityville Horror, Cabin Fever, The Wicker Man. These are all classic horror films. On the other hand, I believe these classic horror films have not been remade into classic remakes. In my opinion, many remakes fail to capture the energy, wisdom, and likeness of the original. It is very difficult to capture lightning in a bottle twice. Especially horror movies, many directors, producers, and writers of horror all tend to follow the same format, and end up being predictable, bland, and lifeless. However, director Franck Khalfoun (P2, High Tension) brings some new life into a cult classic, a new direction, and in my opinion a new better film. I believe that Maniac (2012) is a rare exception of the remake actually being better than the original.

Much like the 1980 cult classic, Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings, The Goodson) plays Frank. Frank is socially awkward, and a vicious serial killer. Frank collects the scalps' of his victims, and puts the finishing touches on his mannequins. One day he meets a beautiful, artistic woman, named Anna. Played by Nora Arnezeder (Safe House). The two bond, and everything seems to be going well at first. Elijah Wood may be short, and doesn't seem all that threatening. But he really does a fantastic job as the character Frank. Elijah Wood brings a new take on Frank, that we didn't see in the original. For example, in the remake we get more of an understanding and backstory (his childhood with his mother). The original was more of a typical slasher, violent guy, and killer with messy hair, etc. But Elijah Wood is a very normal looking guy, and I think that adds to the film. We almost feel sympathy towards him. Everything from his childhood, how people treat him, etc.

I honestly believe this is the best film by Franck Khalfoun. He is becoming on of my favorite directors. He really brings a new artistic take on a very good cult classic. Even though he changes a few things from the original, he stays true to the original source material. For instance, the violence (train station ANKLE SNAP scene made me CRINGE).

Also, this film has some of the best cinematography and camera scenes I've seen in a very long time. Every shot was gorgeous, and unique. I personally can't remember the last time I've seen a film, where a majority of the film is the main character's P.O.V. Maybe someone can let me know down in the comment section. The P.O.V. I thought was very well done, and it truly does add a to the movie. The viewer's literally get to go inside the killers world, and become apart of this character, both physically and mentally.

So these are my final Bitchin' Buddha thoughts on Maniac (2012). I love this movie! This really is one of my favorite horror films, and just one of my favorite films in general. It's unique, gory for a reason, character development is good, and the cinematography/camera shots are something we don't usually see today. In my opinion, this is a blueprint on how to do a remake. Also, this would make a great double feature showdown. View the original, and this one back to back. Call me crazy, but I believe Maniac (2012) deserves...

Thank you for reading/viewing, and I hope you have an amazing day as always. :)
June 22, 2016
This is an extremely graphic movie. I had to turn away at some scenes. Kind of slows half way and the end I found disappointing. Not bad but wouldn't watch it again.
½ May 29, 2016
MANIAC, though not for all tastes, is undeniable effective, both as a remake and as a film on its own. It's a movie that looks quite slick - even striking and beautiful at times - which is a stark contrast to the ultra low-rent, ultra sleazy flavor of the original movie; that grimy, grungy aesthetic has its charms, but this glossier version is certainly more interesting from a visual standpoint. A large component of that is the decision to stage much of the story explicitly from the point-of-view of Elijah Wood's titular madman; rather than being limiting, the end result is weirdly captivating, and actually makes for some pretty engaging and interesting camerawork. Wood's performance (largely vocal for large chunks) is great, and he walks a very fine line between being convincingly off-putting and creepy, and also bringing a level of pathos to the role. He never fully humanizes the character, but he imparts enough sadness to allow us to feel at least some small degrees of empathy for this profoundly screwed-up man. Also on the positive front, there are some terrific gore moments, as well as a throwback/retro musical score that mind remind some of the music of John Carpenter or Tangerine Dream. As I said, MANIAC won't be for everybody (or perhaps even for most horror fans), but - at least in my opinion - it improves upon the original in nearly every conceivable way, so by that metric, it's a success.
May 17, 2016
Only for horror fans. This is pretty unrelentingly nasty, and as it's filmed from the first person POV of the titular maniac, the viewer is not justa voyeur but an active participant. At first this is really disturbing, as Elijah Wood successfully makes us forget all about that lovely hobbit. He's great in a very unpleasant role, but ultimately the film simply meanders along in its own nastiness.
March 22, 2016
Most films don't need remakes. And most remakes aren't as good as the originals. But sometimes, just sometimes, the remake brings a little something different to the table. Sometimes they are better, sometimes worse... and sometimes, as is the case with Maniac (2013), they are completely surprising. The original Maniac wasn't a fantastic film, but it has it's fans. What could a remake of a pretty sleezy lack luster, grindhouse film really offer? Well, when you take the film and modernize it, give it some different style, cast Elijah Wood in a very uncharacteristic role, and pull off some really good camera work, you get a remake I can actual recommend... at least to those that would appreciate a film of this nature. It's still sleezy, gruesome, and despicable despite the cleaner look.
January 23, 2016
If being the most disturbing movie of all time is an accomplishment to you, then you will likely consider this a masterpiece. Maniac is easily the most twisted and disturbing movie I have ever seen. While some aspects are well done in the cinematic sense, like the direction and psychological tension, Maniac will be remembered more for its unrestrained violence.
January 2, 2016
disturbing, interesting, bloody, good plot whatsoever
December 17, 2015
Interestingly styled horror with what seems to be a homage to John Carpenter with its musical score.
½ December 16, 2015
This brilliant film is certainly not for everybody's stomach, since it is a brutal, tense and intensely disturbing experience that forces us to adopt the perspective of a maniac psycho killer - using an ingenious subjective camera to put us right there inside his deranged state of mind.
December 16, 2015
Good acting from Elijah Wood, great direction and soundtrack. Stunning effects,scary and unusual, paying respects to all the 80's classic's, and still manages to keep attention form the new audiences. Not recommended for those with weak sotmach though. But, a great nostalgic moment for horror fans.
½ December 8, 2015
finally Netflixs give me something worth while! Its very American Psycho esck yet not as good of course nor as smart but Wood gives a chilling performance and it has some of the most disturbing images ever put on film I can see why it was band in some countries. Usually I dont like gore if its for no reason yet the creepiness of his character kind of brought you into his demented mind and also clips from the past reviled why he is that way.