Maniac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maniac Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
I liked to see to Elijah in this character because is very versatile and the way the camera was moved and the effects are creepy and scary with an end just a little grotesque but good pictures of gore.
½ May 31, 2017
A unique psychopath film told entirely from the killer's POV often in first person view, putting you literally in the head of the killer. Elijah Wood is great at humanizing this monster. The gore is off-putting though. Still, good watch if you're in the mood for a movie abt disturbed minds.
April 23, 2017
Not entirely what I expected.

It wasn't scary, but it was very gory!

[6/10]
½ March 27, 2017
Disturbing slasher film on many levels. If you enjoy serial killer movies this may be for you. Filmed from a Point of View (POV) setting only
adds to the gory violent images. *** Scalping scenes can be difficult to watch.
March 25, 2017
Cannot believe I never rated this movie MUST WATCH!!
February 25, 2017
I just don't know why nobody was in this town when he chasing his victims.
February 11, 2017
Pretty straightforward take on the old grindhouse slasher film. Boy whose Mom is a slut grows up to be a serial killer. Pretty weak sauce, although the manikins are creepy. But is there really a job such as an antique manikin restorer?
½ February 10, 2017
WOW! A refreshing take on the genre. Wish I seen in the theater when it came out.
February 10, 2017
My kind of movie! Gory and creepy as fuck
½ February 2, 2017
Blech. Cringe with me!
January 11, 2017
La première scène est écoeurante mais le reste pas tant que ça. On se tanne assez vite du POV, c'est pas bien écrit et assez mal joué.
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 25, 2016
I mean, you get what the title promises. Maniac is very thin in story, but extra thick in style. If you're seeking a gory, POV, stalk-and-stab... Maniac is gold, but I crave just a tad bit more.
½ December 19, 2016
This brilliant film is certainly not for everyone's stomach, since it is a brutal, tense and intensely disturbing experience that forces us to adopt the perspective of a maniac psycho killer, using an ingenious subjective camera to put us right there inside his deranged state of mind.
October 30, 2016
Don't really get how twice in the movie streets and a train station are fully abandoned & empty, but this is really well filmed in first person & an interesting concept... I love Elijah Wood, but would normally prefer to see him more. Weird ending.
½ October 15, 2016
Uniquely told remake that takes the guilty gory thrills of the original and gives it a little more class; making for a more enjoyable, if still disturbing watch.
September 26, 2016
Unfortunately it lacked a lot in character, story and chase scenes. Very forgettable
August 28, 2016
Anyone who has seen Wood's silent creepy character from Sin City can become intrigued with this role. Besides the cover art from the 1980's slasher, nothing else really stands out about the original, so decent choice for a remake. This is a solid film. Wood is creepy as hell. Not so much a metaphor as a reality about the horrors of dating, the film does exploit the online dating experience in it's most obvious and horrifying way. I may have expected more, but since it did leave a bad taste in my mouth, I later realized how good this little psycho flick was.
August 27, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie. I had no idea it was a remake. Elijah Wood gave a brilliant performance at Frank the Maniac. I have no idea why this has such a low rating. I did not mind the gore, it was needed for this film and the style and the feel of the film is really creative. This is a risky, intelligent and stylish film. A must see for any fans of horror.
August 16, 2016
Absolutely repugnant, but strangely well-done for what it is.