Maniac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maniac Reviews

February 25, 2017
I just don't know why nobody was in this town when he chasing his victims.
February 11, 2017
Pretty straightforward take on the old grindhouse slasher film. Boy whose Mom is a slut grows up to be a serial killer. Pretty weak sauce, although the manikins are creepy. But is there really a job such as an antique manikin restorer?
½ February 10, 2017
WOW! A refreshing take on the genre. Wish I seen in the theater when it came out.
February 10, 2017
My kind of movie! Gory and creepy as fuck
½ February 2, 2017
Blech. Cringe with me!
January 11, 2017
La première scène est écoeurante mais le reste pas tant que ça. On se tanne assez vite du POV, c'est pas bien écrit et assez mal joué.
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 25, 2016
I mean, you get what the title promises. Maniac is very thin in story, but extra thick in style. If you're seeking a gory, POV, stalk-and-stab... Maniac is gold, but I crave just a tad bit more.
½ December 19, 2016
This brilliant film is certainly not for everyone's stomach, since it is a brutal, tense and intensely disturbing experience that forces us to adopt the perspective of a maniac psycho killer, using an ingenious subjective camera to put us right there inside his deranged state of mind.
October 30, 2016
Don't really get how twice in the movie streets and a train station are fully abandoned & empty, but this is really well filmed in first person & an interesting concept... I love Elijah Wood, but would normally prefer to see him more. Weird ending.
½ October 15, 2016
Uniquely told remake that takes the guilty gory thrills of the original and gives it a little more class; making for a more enjoyable, if still disturbing watch.
September 26, 2016
Unfortunately it lacked a lot in character, story and chase scenes. Very forgettable
August 28, 2016
Anyone who has seen Wood's silent creepy character from Sin City can become intrigued with this role. Besides the cover art from the 1980's slasher, nothing else really stands out about the original, so decent choice for a remake. This is a solid film. Wood is creepy as hell. Not so much a metaphor as a reality about the horrors of dating, the film does exploit the online dating experience in it's most obvious and horrifying way. I may have expected more, but since it did leave a bad taste in my mouth, I later realized how good this little psycho flick was.
August 27, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie. I had no idea it was a remake. Elijah Wood gave a brilliant performance at Frank the Maniac. I have no idea why this has such a low rating. I did not mind the gore, it was needed for this film and the style and the feel of the film is really creative. This is a risky, intelligent and stylish film. A must see for any fans of horror.
August 16, 2016
Absolutely repugnant, but strangely well-done for what it is.
½ August 13, 2016
Wood is the perfect creep. And this movie is creepy.
August 3, 2016
I liked this way better than the original.
½ July 9, 2016
I liked it more than I thought I would. I finally tried to watch the original in the past year, but didn't get through it. The 1st person angle worked well and a Wood brought a little bit of sympathy to the monster.
½ July 6, 2016
Maniac is beautifully filmed, well acted, and has an amazing score. Unfortunately this POV slasher's sadistic tone was more disgusting than interesting.
June 29, 2016
A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Last House on the Left, The Amityville Horror, Cabin Fever, The Wicker Man. These are all classic horror films. On the other hand, I believe these classic horror films have not been remade into classic remakes. In my opinion, many remakes fail to capture the energy, wisdom, and likeness of the original. It is very difficult to capture lightning in a bottle twice. Especially horror movies, many directors, producers, and writers of horror all tend to follow the same format, and end up being predictable, bland, and lifeless. However, director Franck Khalfoun (P2, High Tension) brings some new life into a cult classic, a new direction, and in my opinion a new better film. I believe that Maniac (2012) is a rare exception of the remake actually being better than the original.

Much like the 1980 cult classic, Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings, The Goodson) plays Frank. Frank is socially awkward, and a vicious serial killer. Frank collects the scalps' of his victims, and puts the finishing touches on his mannequins. One day he meets a beautiful, artistic woman, named Anna. Played by Nora Arnezeder (Safe House). The two bond, and everything seems to be going well at first. Elijah Wood may be short, and doesn't seem all that threatening. But he really does a fantastic job as the character Frank. Elijah Wood brings a new take on Frank, that we didn't see in the original. For example, in the remake we get more of an understanding and backstory (his childhood with his mother). The original was more of a typical slasher, violent guy, and killer with messy hair, etc. But Elijah Wood is a very normal looking guy, and I think that adds to the film. We almost feel sympathy towards him. Everything from his childhood, how people treat him, etc.

I honestly believe this is the best film by Franck Khalfoun. He is becoming on of my favorite directors. He really brings a new artistic take on a very good cult classic. Even though he changes a few things from the original, he stays true to the original source material. For instance, the violence (train station ANKLE SNAP scene made me CRINGE).

Also, this film has some of the best cinematography and camera scenes I've seen in a very long time. Every shot was gorgeous, and unique. I personally can't remember the last time I've seen a film, where a majority of the film is the main character's P.O.V. Maybe someone can let me know down in the comment section. The P.O.V. I thought was very well done, and it truly does add a to the movie. The viewer's literally get to go inside the killers world, and become apart of this character, both physically and mentally.

So these are my final Bitchin' Buddha thoughts on Maniac (2012). I love this movie! This really is one of my favorite horror films, and just one of my favorite films in general. It's unique, gory for a reason, character development is good, and the cinematography/camera shots are something we don't usually see today. In my opinion, this is a blueprint on how to do a remake. Also, this would make a great double feature showdown. View the original, and this one back to back. Call me crazy, but I believe Maniac (2012) deserves...

5/5!
Thank you for reading/viewing, and I hope you have an amazing day as always. :)