Marnie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marnie Reviews

August 13, 2016
The acting is horrible, with the exception of Sean Connery, not to mention that it is a bad movie. Not one of Hitchcock's best.
August 13, 2016
So not into this. Makes no sense and the acting is horrible. Bad movie
August 7, 2016
It is an Alfred Hitchcock film, but for Sean Connery i watched it. his looks (esp. eyes) are like Billy Zane's in it. and he was great at 34 years of age as well.
The plot is not great, albeit no problems with engaging the audience. But the performances are good. Very good even.
If the expectation is not high recommended.
½ July 22, 2016
Next to Vertigo, Marnie is Hitchcock's most depressing and tragic film.
½ July 2, 2016
Alfred makes a rom-com and knocks it out of the park with Connery and Janet Lee. He just struggles to get from third base to home - using an unnecessarily slow, deliberate plod, but only at the end. A great ride throughout, just a few boxes getting check marks to awkwardly finish the story.

Lee as a thief you feel sorry for, and Connery as her gallant suitor, it's spicy and interesting with plenty to keep you fascinated.

Brilliant suspense, fast pacing, and bigger than life emotions to go along w the wildly vivid technicolor ride, all culminating into a grand time with the master, despite the one overwrought, misstep - that paint-by-number explanation at the finish.

A fantastic Rollercoaster ride of witty banter, laughs and thrills - fully satisfying, right up until with awkward jerk to a stop and the silent stroll just before it ends - it doesn't ruin the ride- just a quick spinout into an emotional mud bog before reaching the finish line.

Not to be missed as a top Hitchcock film.

4.5 out of 5
½ April 17, 2016
There's a good movie trapped in this one. Really doesn't justify its runtime. We're talking 131 minutes, and you really feel the minutes. Plays like an extended cut or whatever. Also I hate all the goddamn grey. There's just grey every goddamn where. I can't give this one a positive review even though there's good stuff in it. Solid 2 1/2 out of 5.
March 21, 2016
A very unsatisfying plot. Good shooting though.
February 20, 2016
The first act is overlong, but it's worth struggling through it, getting over the distracting 'special' effects and melodrama, as things get far more interesting, and deliciously entertaining, once the mind games start. If you are going to base a thriller on the oddities of psychoanalysis then this is the way to do it, using intuitive concepts, not the obliquities of theory found in Spellbound.
January 14, 2016
This was a really good movie - nice to see Sean Connery during his bond days playing a less heroic character. The acting was good, the cinematography was stunning... the way Hitchcock used light and dark is just amazing... and the movie was twist filled enough that although I knew what was going on the whole time, I never really knew why or who would do what next. I love Hitchcock.
December 27, 2015
great movie extremely dishy sean
½ December 2, 2015
One of Hitchcock's finest films, and one of my personal favourites. What did they really think was with it at the time ? It's very psychological (well, Hitchcock after Psycho), and reminescent of Vertigo. 64-year-old still manages to keep the tension high when it's needed, and proves he becomes better the older he gets. Bernard Herrmann's last great score for Hitch (unless, of course, the unused one for the following "Torn Curtain")
October 22, 2015
I remember this as misogynistic and condescending (towards Hedren's character.)
September 29, 2015
Marnie is Alfred Hitchcock's mixtape: there are elements of a romantic comedy, a psychological thriller, a Southern Gothic play, and a heist (because why not?). The film's plot about Sean Connery's character trying to sexually tame Tippi Hedren's Marine meanders for most of its two hour plus runtime, and it's hard to tell if the whole thing works. However, Hitchcock's astute direction and the film's sharp script provide breathtaking visuals and snappy banter that will thoroughly entertain anyone who's willing to take the ride.
September 21, 2015
A rare Hitchcock drama that loses its way in the middle and gets back on track at the end.
September 18, 2015
An icy kleptomaniac gets blackmailed into marrying a playboy heir, whose love for her drives him to find the root of her problems. As the layers unravel, a dark family secret is revealed to a rather cathartic conclusion. This late Hitchcock film is a psychological character study of a beautiful & tragic protagonist.
½ August 23, 2015
Una película algo extraña, y no de mi gusto.
August 21, 2015
Is Hitchcock supposed to be funny? Coz this sure was a funny take on PTSD. With a miracle cure at the end too!
August 14, 2015
This is the point at which I feel Hitchcock begins to lose his touch a bit, at least for the films I seen so far. MARNIE is somewhat of a departure in the type of film he had made his name doing, but even so, it contains themes that resonated through his body of work. The story is about Marnie (Tippi Hedren), a compulsive thief and liar who ends up marrying a man she robs. This was an intriguing premise, to say the least, and provided the opportunity for Tippi Hedren to play a more complex character than she had in THE BIRDS, but I don't think she was quite up to the task. Sean Connery was appropriately dashing in his role as Mark, the man she ends up falling for, but he didn't really have that much chemistry with Hedren, in my opinion. For me, there were individual moments or flashes of brilliance that worked rather than the film as a whole. In particular, the opening sequence where we are introduced to Marnie was well-done, and the scene where she robs Mark's company was the closest the film ever came to capturing the suspense for which Hitchcock is so well-known. The rest of it was a mixed bag. Some of the psychological elements were interesting by themselves, and in a few scenes, were well-utilized. However, the sledgehammer approach to Freudian themes and associations removed a lot of the mystique. It also didn't help that the explanation for Marnie's particular idiosyncrasies at the end was rather unsatisfying. Still, there were a number of things I did like. Tippi Hedren played cold and calculating rather well. Bernard Herrmann's score and main theme was very romantic and fit the character of Marnie. The film was also handsomely photographed, had great sets and costumes, and made good use of color. Overall, though, I feel like MARNIE has some poor pacing, is a little too long, and has as much trouble identifying what it wants to be as Marnie herself. Before I watched this, I took a look at the theatrical trailer, and even Hitchcock had difficulty (it seems) really pinning down what the film was (settling on 'sex mystery'). Certainly one of Hitchcock's lesser efforts, it still has some interesting parts despite the unevenness of it all.
½ July 2, 2015
a decent movie, though the beginning of Hitch's downturn to be sure. the plot itself is passable, the performances are average, and all in all it's a very....ok movie.

This movie lives and dies with the performance and believeability of Tippi Hedren; and sad to say, she fails with flying colors. Overacting of the worst degree takes the viewer from seeing someone who is supposed to be battling with demons of which she is unsure of their origin, to a girl forcing tears, forcing screams, and just overall forcing the performance. it takes away so much of what's going on that i found myself begging for the camera to get off her at times just to spare me the feeling of embarrassment that was growing from having to sit through her screen time. such an odd feeling knowing that this is the same woman who seemed to nail her performance with Hitch in The Birds years prior. ultimately, a film you could, and maybe even should, pass on.
½ June 7, 2015
A well-made and well-acted film, but kind of boring, especially when compared to Hitchcock's other thriller films.