Marnie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marnie Reviews

½ August 18, 2017
Starkly reminiscent of Vertigo?s tale of a man?s obsession with an idea of a woman he can?t have, scored melodramatically by Bernard Herman with flashes of color symbolizing the psychological trauma of our protagonist, and almost zero humor to accompany. Hitchcock?s most enjoyable work delves into the dark humor of the macabre, throwing whimsical notes over the most disturbing ideas, as seen in works like Frenzy and The Trouble With Harry. But his dealings with trauma victims are not so fun. Marnie is a heavy, at times uncomfortable drama featuring visual experiments carried over from Vertigo that at times are distracting. The horse scene does not work, except at the end when it?s shot and writhing. The alleged rape of Marnie by Rutland was a stroke of pure cinematic brilliance. Sometimes Hitch?s ideas work, other times they?re distracting.

I thought we were going to get more sly James Bond humor and wit out of Connery ? Hitchcock?s casting seemed to tease the idea, until the turning point on the boat when he begins to realize that she actually sees him as a monster, and suddenly he starts becoming the compassionate doctor trying to help her with her problem. Perhaps he?s doing it all selfishly, but he?s breaking some real ground. If it weren?t for Hitchcock?s own obsession and desire to have Tippi Hedren, he might?ve allowed her to escape him at the end, which is one of the problems I had with the film story; he should?ve divorced her and let her free at the end. I like that her red brick home is where she flees to after her initial crime, and it?s where we end up at the end of the picture, where she?s faced all her trauma, and she?s now leaving ? nice balance coming to and going away. That the exterior is such stark red is a symbol of everything that she has to face since red is the color of her trauma; her childhood victim was stained in it over a white shirt for perfect contrast, white is the salvation, red the horror. As always, Hitchcock is clever with color. When it almost seems they?ve made a breakthrough, and she?s turned to ?white? after the horror of facing ?red? in their free association exercise, she wears white the next night at a dinner gathering, looking happy to be with Rutland. But then her old boss Strutt shows up, a cruel move by the jealous Lil to get Marnie in trouble, and she begins to regress. The next scene she is wearing a black outfit similar to the thief in To Catch a Thief, owning her old monicker, and ready to blow out of this place again.

It may be brilliant, but at times it?s unenjoyable. Hitchcock is at his most strategic with technique, but his entertainment value is less after the adventure of North by Northwest, the macabre of Psycho, and the outright bizarreness of The Birds, all which had more enticing plots. This one is tough to cheer on because the protagonist?s lover forces himself on her and the protagonist herself is a thief who isn?t in one of those exciting score flicks, so she?s not doing anything to prompt us as a viewer. The film struggles to be about anything ? on the one hand we hope it?s about this fun thief and her adventures, but that?s so far in the background of this story about a girl suffering trauma that it?s nearly lost. That the one who cures her seemingly rapes her makes this a difficult sell, and perhaps too close to Hitchcock's own dark fantasies of possessing women.
August 3, 2017
The strangest of Hitchcock's, mainly because there isn't the usual payoff. Some sneaky good performances by Connery and Hedren playing a couple who can't seem to be honest with each other. It's the script that's splotchy, but it answers enough of the questions brought up.
June 13, 2017
This is Hitchcock's finest, most emotional, most pure work. It is powerful effective and thought-provoking. Sure, personally I prefer Frenzy, Family Plot, Rear Window, and Vertigo. But this is still a masterpiece.
½ April 16, 2017
- "I cheat, I steal, I lie, but I'm decent." Marnie, of how she was raised by her suppressing mother.

- Maybe Hitchcock's masterpiece. Why? His talent is fully deployed, even sublimated, in the service of the material - and the superbly guided performances, maybe Connery's best during his 007 years, and even if Grace backed-out after committing. Imagine if Hitch had been hired to direct one of Connery's Bonds (except he didn't like location work out of the studio). It's surprising Diane Baker wasn't picked-up as a Bond girl she's so terrific and hungrily forward flirting as a Hitch femme fantastique.

At the midpoint there's a very long exposition, perhaps the only legit criticism.

A psychological ride, "Marnie" perhaps only now is being appreciated as it should've been. Dern's leg between Latham's character's legs in close-up? How did that get by the scissored censors of the day, the ones who had the camera swing to the porthole on-board the honeymoon cruise? The only lingering Q was what-was-it that engaged Connery's character with such a broken woman, especially with his sister-in-law displaying everything a virile man would want.

A film the french would and do love.
February 12, 2017
Good, but atypical, Alfred Hitchcock drama. Starts off looking like your usual Hitchcock thriller - tight, though complex, plot, with criminal undertones. After a while it evolves into a psychological and emotional drama, and a great one at that. Hitchcock shows his sensitive side in the closing act.

Plot is a bit too complex in the beginning, and then drifts a bit in the middle. Other than that, perfect. Hitchcock's direction is spot-on, as usual.

Tippi Hendren is superb, and gorgeous, in the lead role. Sean Connery is solid as the male lead.

Another Hitchcock classic.
August 13, 2016
The acting is horrible, with the exception of Sean Connery, not to mention that it is a bad movie. Not one of Hitchcock's best.
August 13, 2016
So not into this. Makes no sense and the acting is horrible. Bad movie
August 7, 2016
It is an Alfred Hitchcock film, but for Sean Connery i watched it. his looks (esp. eyes) are like Billy Zane's in it. and he was great at 34 years of age as well.
The plot is not great, albeit no problems with engaging the audience. But the performances are good. Very good even.
If the expectation is not high recommended.
½ July 2, 2016
Alfred makes a rom-com and knocks it out of the park with Connery and Janet Lee. He just struggles to get from third base to home - using an unnecessarily slow, deliberate plod, but only at the end. A great ride throughout, just a few boxes getting check marks to awkwardly finish the story.

Lee as a thief you feel sorry for, and Connery as her gallant suitor, it's spicy and interesting with plenty to keep you fascinated.

Brilliant suspense, fast pacing, and bigger than life emotions to go along w the wildly vivid technicolor ride, all culminating into a grand time with the master, despite the one overwrought, misstep - that paint-by-number explanation at the finish.

A fantastic Rollercoaster ride of witty banter, laughs and thrills - fully satisfying, right up until with awkward jerk to a stop and the silent stroll just before it ends - it doesn't ruin the ride- just a quick spinout into an emotional mud bog before reaching the finish line.

Not to be missed as a top Hitchcock film.

4.5 out of 5
½ April 17, 2016
There's a good movie trapped in this one. Really doesn't justify its runtime. We're talking 131 minutes, and you really feel the minutes. Plays like an extended cut or whatever. Also I hate all the goddamn grey. There's just grey every goddamn where. I can't give this one a positive review even though there's good stuff in it. Solid 2 1/2 out of 5.
March 21, 2016
A very unsatisfying plot. Good shooting though.
February 20, 2016
The first act is overlong, but it's worth struggling through it, getting over the distracting 'special' effects and melodrama, as things get far more interesting, and deliciously entertaining, once the mind games start. If you are going to base a thriller on the oddities of psychoanalysis then this is the way to do it, using intuitive concepts, not the obliquities of theory found in Spellbound.
January 14, 2016
This was a really good movie - nice to see Sean Connery during his bond days playing a less heroic character. The acting was good, the cinematography was stunning... the way Hitchcock used light and dark is just amazing... and the movie was twist filled enough that although I knew what was going on the whole time, I never really knew why or who would do what next. I love Hitchcock.
December 27, 2015
great movie extremely dishy sean
½ December 2, 2015
One of Hitchcock's finest films, and one of my personal favourites. What did they really think was with it at the time ? It's very psychological (well, Hitchcock after Psycho), and reminescent of Vertigo. 64-year-old still manages to keep the tension high when it's needed, and proves he becomes better the older he gets. Bernard Herrmann's last great score for Hitch (unless, of course, the unused one for the following "Torn Curtain")
October 22, 2015
I remember this as misogynistic and condescending (towards Hedren's character.)
September 29, 2015
Marnie is Alfred Hitchcock's mixtape: there are elements of a romantic comedy, a psychological thriller, a Southern Gothic play, and a heist (because why not?). The film's plot about Sean Connery's character trying to sexually tame Tippi Hedren's Marine meanders for most of its two hour plus runtime, and it's hard to tell if the whole thing works. However, Hitchcock's astute direction and the film's sharp script provide breathtaking visuals and snappy banter that will thoroughly entertain anyone who's willing to take the ride.
September 21, 2015
A rare Hitchcock drama that loses its way in the middle and gets back on track at the end.
September 18, 2015
An icy kleptomaniac gets blackmailed into marrying a playboy heir, whose love for her drives him to find the root of her problems. As the layers unravel, a dark family secret is revealed to a rather cathartic conclusion. This late Hitchcock film is a psychological character study of a beautiful & tragic protagonist.
½ August 23, 2015
Una película algo extraña, y no de mi gusto.