Maya The Bee Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maya The Bee Movie Reviews

May 7, 2017
I remember watching Maya the Bee as a kid(so a long, long time ago basically) so I can't say I remember much except for the catchy theme song. This didn't feel anything like that show, again from what I can actually remember, as this is more like a ripoff of A Bug's Life. Definitely geared heavily towards the 6 and under group, for me it was a bit on the boring side(but at least it's really colorful). Eh..
April 13, 2017
Its fairly good for what it is, but the thing most critics are forgetting is that this is not movie meant to entertain them, but a movie to entertain children mainly under the age of 10. That being said this movie brings forth the difficult subjects of acceptance, war, treachery, and forgiveness in a way that young children can learn from what to do and what not to do.
½ February 20, 2017
Watched this with me little cousin... it's a fugly mug
½ January 11, 2017
Nice animated movie for the family to watch, good story
September 27, 2016
yall are fuckin dumb, this was a rllu good movie me and my friend cried over it. came for a shitpost, left with nice feelings, clear skin, and free of all sin.
½ August 18, 2016
Not the greatest animated movie ever, but definitely not the worst. The visuals are just okay, there's two cheesy songs, but there's a good moral and the kids are sure to love it.
½ July 21, 2016
Nice enough, but for a much younger audience than myself.
June 8, 2016
More for kids than adults but I also had my pleasures in this cute little movie.
½ May 14, 2016
A heart-warmer about exploring and friendship.
March 30, 2016
Having seen the Nick Jr. animated series when I was a child (and still wanting to buy a DVD of it if I can ever find it.) I really enjoyed this movie. I would have enjoyed it more for nostalgia's sake if it were a 2-d animated cartoon like what I saw when I was around 6-7, but I'll take it. They at least tried to keep the style as close as they could to the old cartoon. The humor was great. I laughed a bit throughout. I'll suspend my disbelief on the royal jelly part and try my best to unsee it as some kind of drug the queen must take. I enjoyed it mostly because I saw the cartoon series. I already knew some background. It was nice to compare. But to younger kids who haven't seen the cartoons, might not get some of the content or be as interested in the movie.
February 25, 2016
You know, despite the monotonous emotion of happy-go-luckiness being constantly thrown in my face as I dilly-dally'd through the movie's drab plot, unbelievable personifications of different insects, and all too familiar and hardly impressive animation, the thing that ended up bothering me the most was the static shading of the sky. It was almost like summer in Alaska, unless I've been living under a rock, because since when was nighttime as bright as the day?
January 21, 2016
Between a 5/10 and 6/10, this sweet, play-it-safe adaptation of TV's honeybee heroine is as innocuous and uninspired as preschool animation gets.
October 12, 2015
We love Maya the Bee. My 3 year old is obsessed with her and willy.
July 5, 2015
Really? Another kiddy movie directed towards kids ONLY?! This film will be stupid. Maya the Bee Movie will be a terrible way to spend your night. Go watch a DreamWorks or a Disney film instead.
½ June 5, 2015
Maya the Bee Movie is an incredible animated film, written by Fin Edquist and Marcus Sauermann, directed by Alexs Stadermann. This is a very funny movie. I laughed during many scenes and I also cried during a few scenes. I love the movie because the characters are funny and it teach great lessons throughout the film.

The movie takes place in a bee hive located in a colorful meadow full of beautiful flowers. In the meadow, there are many different types of bugs. Inside of the bee hive, there are lots of worker bees. All of the bees have different jobs and the jobs are assigned by the royal advisor, Buzzlina (Jacki Weaver). For instance, one of the jobs is picking up pollen. Another job is watching the adorable little baby bees. This is also where Maya (Coco Jack Gillies) stays until spring. Maya wants to be independent and explore the hive. She does not like staying with the babies, so she sneaks out when she has the first opportunity. When Maya sneaks out, she causes a lot of chaos within the hive because she is very young and does not know what she is doing. She takes you on a fun and exciting adventure.

The movie is well written. Alexs Stadermann draws out remarkable performances from the voice actors and brings out the best in each character. I love how Coco Jack Gillies expresses Maya's feelings. Jacki Weaver makes the royal advisor, Buzzlina seem so real.

My favorite scene is when Willi (Kodi Smit-McPhee) and Maya meet. They seem to like each other from the very beginning. Another favorite part is when there is a battle between the bees and another group of bugs. My least favorite part of the film is when something horrible happens to Maya and she finds out a secret about the queen.

The message of the story is, everyone has a role to play in life. It takes everyone working as a team to get the job done. The movie is fun, fabulous and family-friendly. I recommend it for ages 4 to 18 as well as adults. I give this movie 5 out of 5 gold stars.
Maya the Bee Movie
Reviewed by Kayla P., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic, age 13
June 4, 2015
When I see a family film with no expectations going in ? especially from a series that generated out of Germany with help from an Australian studio ? it leaves my mind open and my heart wondering. I decided to give a movie called Alpha and Omega a chance a few years ago, and I?m glad I did. I can officially say the same thing about Maya the Bee.
?Bee?lieve me when I say I?m ?buzzing? about this movie! This is a movie that if you don?t have a ?fuzzy feeling? (more bee puns, lol) by the end of the film, something is very wrong with you!
This movie very much reminds me of Lion King 2 ? you have the free
spirit in Maya (who?s very much like Chiara), the best friend/tag-along/love interest in Willy (okay, there?s not really a comparison there but I LOVED Willy as a character), the best friend who?s actually
a rival to the bees Sting the hornet (like Kovu), for gosh sakes there?s even a pair of dimwitted ants that reminded me of Timon and Pumbaa! But even though the characters themselves stand alone as
great, the story is what SHOULD make you soar like a bee flying through a meadow. I was on edge throughout the film as I followed Maya?s story and her battle to fit in, while at the same time making
friends with Willy and the fellow bugs in the meadow, including the ever-positive grasshopper Flip.
Yes, there?s even a true villain in this film that you will eventually loathe and hope she gets her just-desserts (and she does in a wild thrilling ending) but the main morals to be learned is to ?bee?
yourself and that everyone has a role and a purpose in life. You also MUST watch the bonus features ? and I don?t say that about many movies ? the interview with Maya, the TV episode (where Andrea
Libman from MLP does a great job as Maya?s voice but I can?t pinpoint who does Willy?s), and the brief blooper reel.
I also must say about the voice acting I was expecting it to be a bit rough ? most foreign films are ? but actually they weren?t bad at all. I loved Maya?s British accent and the guy who played Willy ? if he had an accent you couldn?t tell.
Everything about this movie left me smiling,
cheering, screaming at the villain a few times?but it was altogether a great package! I was able to embrace my ?inner bee?! Bravo Maya and your friends ? you?re un?bee?lievable!!! >:-)
May 20, 2015
This is the sort of harmless, unimaginative treacle that parents put their kids in front of. Kids, the story could use some thoughtful trimming. Parents, that ceaselessly cheerful honeybee never stops giggling.
April 27, 2015
plot reminds me of the movie The Bee Movie. I may just take my little one to see it, just for the heck of it.
½ October 25, 2014
'Maya the bee movie' is a full-lenght animated version of a little bee's story written by Waldemar Bonsels in 1912. Most of us have never read the book but have seen a tv series 'Maya the bee' and want to check the new Maya in the cinema.
My relfections? I think that idea was good. Also animation is perfect! Action was very fast, to fast sometimes. Director wanted to show us as much as it possible but it was to much sometimes. Sense of humor is on a good level but I have a feeling that someone forgot that this movie is for children and not every joke is understandable for them.
However, it was a pleasure to see again Maya and her friends on the screen again.