Michael Collins Reviews

• Apr 25, 2019

A riveting biopic and a thrilling historical. Neil Jordan's historical biopic on the leader of the IRA named Michael Collins is an absolute masterpiece of a film. Stunning cinematography, smoky lighting, film noir aesthetic, Irish history, brutal combat, realistic recreations, and an all star cast. Jordan's own direction keeps you interesting and invested in Irish freedom every second of screen time. Liam Neeson's performance as Michael Collins is outstanding in every way. His gravitas is immediate, his presence is undeniable, his Irish accent is thick, his emotions genuine, and his beliefs self-evident. I love Liam Neeson in Michael Collins. He should be proud of how true to character he feels in Michael Collins. Aidan Quinn is excellent as Collins' friend and fellow IRA organizer Harry Boland. Alan Rickman is so subtle and commanding as Collins' foil and eventual opponent Eamon de Valera. Julia Roberts is excellent with her gripping dramatic performance and a solid Irish accent as Collins' love interest Kitty Kiernan. I have to hand it to Stephen Rea as Ned Broy. His dramatic sensibilities are those akin to a spy thriller and his role in Michael Collins is fantastic. You are intrigued and unsettled by his character, then endeared to him through Rea's brilliant show of acting. Brendan Gleeson, Charles Dance, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers all have nice supporting cameo roles that leave an impact. Lastly, I adored the heavy Irish score from Elliot Goldenthal. His composition is sweeping and epic with a hearty splendor as well as a dark seriousness for the violence and politics. I am seriously impressed by Goldenthal's score. In all, Michael Collins is up there with my favorite biopics. There are not many films as good as this one. Neil Jordan did Ireland proud from what I've seen.

• Jun 02, 2018

Sad story of leader of great nation. India and Ireland share many pages of history including flag of state. This movie brought back memories of the time I lived in Dublin.

• Apr 02, 2018

Neil Jordan's "Michael Collins" may not be an entirely honest portrayal of the events and happenings surrounding the reign of Ireland's seminal freedom fighter, but it is a damn fine film, crafted by the dramatically savvy hands of a gifted storyteller, as well as a fascinating study of the unfortunate unsustainability of revolution-era politics. Liam Neeson's turn here as the titular character is one that is so clearly driven by passion and care - it's one of the best performances of his multi-textured career. And the cinematography is also extremely well tailored and tinted. Definitely an enlightening, entertaining, and challenging film overall.

• Feb 17, 2018

Micheal Collins dependents on where you are standing, but from where I'm standing, Michael Collins is my favourite movie ever

• Apr 23, 2017

Michael Collins is an amazing film. It is about the controversial Irish revolutionary Michael Collins. Liam Neeson and Aidan Quinn give excellent performances. The script is well written. Neil Jordan did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Michael Collins is a must see.

• Mar 28, 2017

Alan Rickman vs Liam Neeson acting battle while the Irish freedom serves as a background.

• Mar 12, 2016

Collin had terrible taste in women... Annoying doesn't come close.

Collin had terrible taste in women... Annoying doesn't come close.

• Sep 02, 2015

Great film of the Irish uprising during the early 190o to break from British rule. Only wish I had watched this before I visited Dublin. I would've had a deeper appreciation of the many of the sites I saw there. Only weak point was Julia Roberts. Wish they would've found a good authentic Irish actress to play her part. Her trying to act Irish takes away from the film.

• Aug 19, 2015

Michael Collins is a solid film with a great performance by Liam Neeson. The story can be very interesting, with some emotionally effective scenes and some intense action sequences. The ending works, though it's nothing we haven't seen. And that right there has to be my main complaint, this movie didn't try anything new. Clearly influenced by the much better film Braveheart from a year ago, this film hits all of the same beats. It is a good and pretty compelling film, but I could predict exactly how it was going to turn out. This film also suffers from some pacing issues and uninspired writing. So the story is good, but it copies on the success of the recent best picture winner but never quite reaches its full potential. A good yet forgettable film that benefits from some thrilling war scenes and some good performances.

• May 28, 2015