The Minus Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Minus Man Reviews

August 13, 2016
I think it was genius and the ending has almost a nearly Twin Peak type of twist, and I wondered was the father guilty of the Missing Daughter, the recordings on the tape was not erased but the husband killed the wife to try to cover up for the 1 person he now looked up to, because he reminds him of himself? I'm just wondering does anyone else have those same thoughts. This movie was awesome because it was something the whole family could watch yet it was suspenseful and horror included because you never knew what he would do next , you didn't know where he was from or what actually happened in his life that made him suddenly snap, and why it was very hard for him to actually feel, there is room for a Minus Man part II
July 10, 2016
What did I just watch? So many actors I like in this movie but so very odd. I don't know what the point even is. Everyone is so awkward and though I do appreciate the power of silence in dialogue there are so many long odd silences. And the actors could exchange looks but more often each face is expressionless. More than that even the faces are completely devoid of expression and the pregnant pauses seem pointless and empty. I kept waiting for some insight or understanding.
½ January 6, 2016
Owen Wilson is very weird in this interesting and unusual film that, even though it is not very violent or exciting in the usual psycho genre type, is none-the-less creepy to the nth degree, so that you can't look away. It leaves you feeling very disturbed in a quiet sort of way.
½ June 19, 2015
Review by Jesse Burleson of VIEWS ON FILM

Directed by the guy who scripted the futuristic Blade Runner and possessing daydreaming sequences that involve two philosophical detectives, The Minus Man follows the journey of low key serial killer Vann (with 2 n's) Siegert. Owen Wilson plays Siegert and at the time, he took this serious role in between comedic stints like The Cable Guy (1996) and his big hit Wedding Crashers (2005). His performance is pretty impressive. He comes off as a relaxed, laid back psychopath. His character seems to be nonchalant, carefree, and having the equivalent of a resting heart rate in the mid 30's (just a little movie speculation).

He's a drifter who according to the proceedings, lost his father, doesn't owe anyone any money, and wants to I guess, end people's lives because of their suffering (I guess he's that kind of sicko). He goes around poisoning people by persuading them to take a drink out of his silver flask full of Amaretto. It is mentioned that he may be from Oregon and is heading down the California coast. He decides to stop at a small town and rent out a room. While there, he gets a job as a postal worker all the while continuing to commit murders as he masquerades as a normal, shy person. He even befriends a married couple (The Durwins played by Brian Cox as Doug Durwin and Mercedes Ruehl as Jane Durwin) and catches the eye of a co-worker in Ferrin (played by Janeane Garofalo). Everyone seems to like him and take him in. He's easy to be around, seems to be attractive to woman, and is even able to evade any policemen who don't seem to take the time to wanna solve his killings (there is a sketch of his face in the local newspaper and it looks nothing like him).

Throughout The Minus Man's 1 hour 50 minute running time, you never sense that he is in any danger of getting caught or spending his life in prison. That element, which was interpreted by myself, only added to the calm, creepy vibe that forced me to think about things long after the final credits rolled.

The Minus Man although categorized as your typical crime drama, is different in that it focuses more on the antagonist and hardly ever hones in on the authority figures trying to capture him. Its plot and the unmotivated actions by the main character aren't exactly clear. However, you'll still be pulled in as a viewer because of the stylishness, the somberness, and the cast of capable B-listers (Brian Cox, Janeane Garofalo, and rock star Sheryl Crow).

The script is wittingly and intelligently written by director Hampton Fancher. As mentioned earlier, he co-wrote the sci-fi bender Blade Runner. If you've seen that film, you can tell that he uses his touches as a writer in that same light featured here. He's totally complex in his wording. There's a little bit of irony and you'll notice by the dialogue spoken by the actors, that nothing is what it seems. I thought it was interesting that this is the only vehicle he has ever helmed (but you wouldn't know it). He knows where to put the camera, he's good with light (I like certain scenes that are shown in a ray of bright sunshine), he lets his shots pan out, and he edits well in cuts. "Minus" was made 15 years ago. I kinda wish Hampton wasn't out of the loop and maybe someday, he could put out something new (doesn't matter what genre, I'm game).

All in all, I did this movie's title, I love its indie feel, and I think what translates on screen, is a capably numbed down thriller. Upon a second viewing, I now dub it as quietly, almost sheepishly disturbing stuff. And give credit to Wilson for being in almost every frame not to mention holding the screen in the palm of his hand (without doing a lot, just underplaying to perfection). Overall, as a rare art flick depicting a psycho killer, The Minus Man is nocturnal bliss from the reclusive 75 year old Fancher. It gets a "plus" for being a solid, late 90's cinematic tool of faux translation.
April 18, 2015
Owen Wilson as a serial killer? Many have never heard of it, and should consider themselves lucky. It's poorly made and painfully boring! (First and only viewing - Early 2015)
½ May 31, 2014
A pretty interesting take on the serial killer genre but poorly executed. I forgot that there was a time in the 90's where Janeane Garofalo was the cute love interest.
½ March 30, 2014
Really solid film, with an interesting take on a serial killer who comes off as one of the nicest people you could know. He also has an interesting method as he never forces his poison on his victims, but they rather choose to partake of it as they believe it is simple armoretto. I also like the ending or non-ending as some may call it.
September 29, 2013
What was that?
A serial killer's struggle with reality, maybe, this film is slow paced and character driven, where we accompany Wilson as a charming man who goes from town to town poisoning people. We are asked to see things from the killer's perspective and understand how far from reality he is, but there is nothing engaging or even mildly entertaining, and it leaver you wondering if there was even a point to be made by the film.
It doesn't help that Wilson is playing the only character he plays in every film.
What I did find interesting was the way to present every other character from the killer's perspective: they are who they are to him, or at least that is how I interpreted it.
The hallucinations with the 2 cops seemed a bit out of place, as they didn't add anything.
Boring, but different.
½ June 27, 2013
The creepiest aspect of the movie comes when attempting to reconcile Owen's goofy demeanor with his character's sinister core.
May 4, 2013
"The Minus Man" is a noticably flawed movie, but if we can forgive its mistakes and take notice of that fact that what we see is all intentional, it will make the perfect thought provoking movie-experience.
December 9, 2012
I am going to pass on this one.
November 18, 2012
Owen Wilson as a baddie. This was definitely interesting.
July 20, 2012
man oh man this movie seriously rocks!
½ April 22, 2012
At least Sheryl Crow gets killed. But that's the only good thing about this total crap-fest.
January 27, 2012
Something constructed back when Owen Wilson felt a need to act. The film hangs far too often.
½ December 17, 2011
Not what you think it will be. Owen Wilson is surprisingly good as the quiet serial killer. I liked the rest of the cast as well, even Sheryl Crow is good. Some will find it slow but i was really fascinated with Owen Wilson's character from beginning to end.
September 29, 2011
This was terrible waste of a GREAT cast. Everyone does a good job, but the movie was PAINFUL to watch. It is awful when there is seemingly so much to offer the it is hard to believe it can't go somewhere...THIS MOVIE NEVER GOES ANYWHERE!
½ September 19, 2011
Some things happened, but nothing really happened.
August 5, 2011
Vince Vaughn is to Psycho as Owen Wilson is to The Minus Man. The basic personality is still there, but very dark.