Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters Reviews

½ April 11, 2017
I enjoyed it so much! but it┤s not for everyone, those who wants to see monsters eating humans every minute, stay away and go to see the war of the worlds, this one is much more intimate, and really worth watching movie, every detail counts
April 3, 2017
Not good nor bad. It has several geographical inconsistencies, distances between places and mixtures of landscapes of several countries. Still watchable.
March 28, 2017
I don't even know the point of this film! It built up to... well nothing at all really. What a load of bleh!
½ March 28, 2017
It's a lovely bit of film.
½ March 23, 2017
I enjoyed the creation of a believable world of which aliens were simply part.
March 20, 2017
Finally saw this but glad I got it after price had gone down. Not a terrible or bad film, but very lacklustre. Reviews on DVD box describe it as 'Thrilling, Action Packed and Jaw-dropping" but it is none of these things. How on earth the two lead characters fall in love I will never know (both stupid and selfish) and both are unlikeable. The effects are good when you see them, yet there's only one real action set-piece and not alot else happens otherwise. Idea is original, everything else feels like it's been done before. Probably would have fallen asleep had I watched it in cinema.
½ February 17, 2017
I was too busy being bored out of my mind to enjoy this. SERIOUSLY. This movie is more proof that critics are often wrong and not to be trusted. The only slightly enjoyable characters were the aliens and the kooky infected-zone squatters. Yes, it's impressive on a low budget, but it didn't work as sci-fi, action, or drama. Unless you're really bored, avoid.
½ February 16, 2017
Expertly made for it's budget, if only Gareth Edwards knew how to not make it dull. His cheap monster effects and weak symbolic message weigh the personal intimacy between the key cast down.
½ January 19, 2017
"Monsters" was a slight disappointment. Of course, we knew that the budget was going to be low, yet the monsters ended up quite underused despite being surprisingly well-made and effective. The scenes in which they appear are probably the best part of an otherwise relatively uneventful road trip-cum-romantic drama. Unfortunately neither character has much to offer so this doesn't really work as a character study either. With no big climax, the satisfaction it offers remains sporadic and small.
January 11, 2017
A supervisor recommended this to me and I've been listening to the soundtrack every day, its by Jon Hopkins. Its on netflix. Its a very good movie to watch because of our incoming president. Its prophetic.
January 7, 2017
Simple, low budget feel of a movie about two people trying to make it back across the US border with an alien inhabitation as a backdrop.
December 19, 2016
This movie made Gareth Edwards a movie making super star, and rightly so. Not only did he write and direct, he also shot it, did all the special effects and edited it. On his laptop. For less than $500'000. Total production crew 7, including driver and local guide.

Do not let this scare you off, this is a great movie, and I didn't know about any of that when I saw it. I really liked this movie and was impressed by its realistic style and effects. When reading about its production, my jaw dropped.

Its a slow movie, and much of the suspense from the tangible danger and the process of slowly learning about the "monsters". Its also a road movie, or traveling movie, of the best kind. The difference is that here they travel through a monster infested quarantined zone in Mexico's jungles, rather than the open road.

McNairy is great as usual, with great support from his wife Able and great Direction from Edwards.

Being one of the best monster movies ever, and the way it was made, will make this movie mentioned in the history books that started career of the movie genius Gareth Edwards.
December 16, 2016
What an incredibly stupid film! So predictable. Hot engaged girl who plays damsel in distress. Young, insecure man attempts to rescue and protect her. I already saw that she would be unfaithful to her fiancÚ. How did this film win any awards? Are people that stupid?
½ December 15, 2016
With the upcoming release of "Rogue One" I decided to watch Gareth Edwards' acclaimed directorial debut in order to be prepared, even though I know what to expect from him due to 2014's "Godzilla". Is this a solid directorial debut or an overrated one?

After a NASA space probe crashes in Northern Mexico, aliens have spread throughout the zone, leading to a quarantine, Mexico and USA battle to contain them and prevent them from entering the USA. We follow Andrew, a photographer who is tasked to escort Samantha, the daughter of his boss, back to USA.

Directorial debuts are often limited due to their budgets but every once in a while a debut appears that surprises everybody and this film is one of them, but after watching it I can say that I can see what critics say but it left me completely cold. Before talking about it, it needs to be said that "Monsters" is not a Kaiju film, it is a character study of an unlikely couple (think about "Before Sunrise" rather than "Godzilla") so if you don't like those types of films then you should avoid this one. With that out of the way, "Monsters" is filled with problems. The two main characters are dull (our protagonists are a stupid and asshole photographer and a shallow rich girl) which is a humongous problem as the film is 100% focus on them thus we never care about them, the relationship between the leads is unbelievable, it is extremely heavy handed (this is Romero/Blomkamp level of heavy handed. I mean in the first minute the film flat out tells you what is the theme, which considering the past election is more relevant today than at the time of this film's release), the dialog is extremely melodramatic. the story is extremely limited, the pacing is quite slow, and it is dull as it has many solid ideas but they never materialize. But the worst part of this film is that it has greatness within but that doesn't matter when the script is weak in a freaking character study. But still let's give credit where credit is due: The visuals are gorgeous, the score is immersive, Edwards crafts such an ominous atmosphere, the world created is quite interesting, and the ending is perfect on paper but due to the acting and the poor characters it doesn't have any impact.

"Monsters" is a film that shines due to its confident direction but falls apart completely due to its screenplay and acting. Edwards shows to be a great visual director that knows how to create an atmosphere (even with a minuscule budget) but other than that this movie is dull, extremely heavy handed, melodramatic and stretched. An intriguing and remarkable debut that shows potential and has many good ideas but utterly fails in the execution.
jamrcla
December 14, 2016
A love/road movie with a few cameos from the name of the title, One review on the DVD cover said it was action packed but there wasn't any at all so don't know where that review came from maybe he ended up in the wrong screen but anyway I still found it watchable and well acted plus the monster effects were amazing to say they were done on a laptop.
November 6, 2016
"Monsters" is an alien film that is more about people than it is about aliens. The film is set against a backdrop of enormous alien beings that inhabit an "infected zone" on the border or Mexico and America, but the focus of the story is the developing relationship between two survivors as they journey to the American border. There are a few moments of intense alien attacks but the majority of the film is conversational in nature. The acting of Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able is decent but the unique setting is the real draw for this film. There is something compelling about this abnormal-yet-not-quite-post-apocalyptic world in Mexico. The imagery of gas masks, warheads, and giant squid-like aliens is contrasted by the typical lifestyle that the residents of Mexico live as they accept the threat as a part of their reality. The unanswered questions regarding the aliens are definitely more compelling than the actual plot. Also, the ending created some compelling questions to be answered by a sequel but Rotten Tomatoes tells me that the sequel missed its mark and is not worth wasting your time. There are better alien movies and better dramas than "Monsters," but this film is worth seeing for its creepy imagery and presentation of a world where humans attempt to live with inevitable alien attacks.
½ November 1, 2016
Execution is notable, it's interesting to follow and sympathize with the protagonists, and morale of the movie is ok. But there is always this tincture, while watching the movie, that you already know what is going on and how it will end.
½ October 27, 2016
It doesn't stray far from many of the tropes of similar movies but Gareth Edwards achieve quite a bit on the budget of which he was given, which ends up being an entertaining, interesting, and exciting moviegoing experience.
October 19, 2016
Never should a film be less interesting than the popcorn you're eating and never should a film about giant tentacle monsters from outer space lack suspense. "No, you were misled, David! 'Monsters' is actually a character-driven romance film that serves as a metaphor for America's current political climate and was made on an impressively-low budget... and also has giant tentacle monsters from outer space." If so, that doesn't excuse this film's inept script, undefined characters, and the complete lack of satisfaction I felt when the credits began to roll.
October 16, 2016
it took me all the way through this movie to realize that i've seen it before; that's how unforgettable it is. it's called "monsters" but don't expect to see any.