Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters Reviews

½ August 14, 2017
Six years after the crash of a NASA space probe, a large area between Mexico and the U.S. is under quarantine while Mexican and American military forces fight a losing battle with the giant creatures who now live there. While covering the conflict, a photojournalist (Scoot McNairy) gets uncomfortably close to the action when he escorts his boss's daughter (Whitney Able) through the zone to the U.S. border...
½ August 8, 2017
Awful, seriously; and the geographic locations? Wtf? Only people who lives under a rock won't know Costa Rica and Guatemala places where the film was made...
½ August 7, 2017
Before he directed Rogue One, Gareth Edwards made a name for himself with this impressive indie. I liked how the focus stays on the two humans and leaves the alien details in the background. Good example of the "less is more" philosophy.
August 4, 2017
"Monsters" may not give you what you think you are in for, but instead it brings you a wonderfully directed scope of awness, that still satisfy on another but deeper level for a change.
½ July 4, 2017
Monsters is the directorial and writing debut of Gareth Edwards, and it stars Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able in a British science fiction about a photographer who's hired to bring back the boss's daughter to the United States from Mexico, and they have to walk through the infected zone where they're monsters there. When I was going on a vacation, I tried to download some films to keep myself occupied, but didn't have enough time to do so, and I ended up watching this only film that I downloaded a while back, which is cool to see where Gareth Edwards was at from the beginning to when he did Godzilla and Star Wars, so let's get started in this. The acting is good, although not special, which is something that Gareth Edwards is becoming well-known for in terms of the negative aspects, and it's a good idea that it's an actual couple that plays the main characters as it makes the dialogue feel more genuine and real when they are just talking about everyday stuff. As people already know, or already told other people, that there's not much monsters in this, which is another aspect that the director is strangely known for too like in Godzilla, it's Godzilla itself that isn't in it too much, and in Rogue One, it's Darth Vader. So as to say what the premise is like, think of it as a The Road with a little bit of Before Sunrise, which can turn off some viewers that weren't expecting a romance out of this. The special effects on the creatures look really good for a low budget, and the ending is a very sad and sweet one that is not quite something that you see in a monster film. So while there were some character development on McNairy's character, Whitney's character is a cardboard one as you don't know much about her character, but you do care about them because of the conversations that they have. The pacing can be very slow for some viewers to handle, and there were some moments that didn't really go anywhere which felt meandering to the plot even though it's short. It has some thought-provoking moments, but I feel like I've seen this before in better monster films. Monsters is a really good movie that I'm glad Gareth Edwards got himself into the Godzilla film, which turned out to be a better film.
July 3, 2017
From director Gareth Edwards (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) comes this little known film from 2010. An intriguing blend of highlights seen in other films.
It basically follows the events of an alien infected zone between the United States and Mexico following the crash of a space probe in the region.
The infection has produced creatures of War Of The Worlds proportions that have a bit of Alien mixed in.
A photographer escorts a US tourist through the infected zone from Mexico to the apparent safety of the U.S.
The United States is protected from the infected zone by a giant man made wall that invoked memories of President Trump's Prexidential campaign in 2016!
Chuck in a bit of Jurassic Park, 28 Days Later then you are halfway to understanding this film.
It obviously had budgetary constraints but Edwards proves his credentials for bigger projects in future with this effort that looks more polished.
½ June 7, 2017
While the ending left me frustrated, the film is saved by it's deep political commentary, real performances, and an interesting story, which is more than most movies with such a low budget can do and showcases early directorial talent from Gareth Edwards.
½ May 21, 2017
Reasonably simple and quite enjoyable film that i was able to understand and follow in the most part
½ May 2, 2017
"Monsters" was a slight disappointment. Of course, we knew that the budget was going to be low, yet the monsters ended up quite underused despite being surprisingly well-made and effective. The scenes in which they appear are probably the best part of an otherwise relatively uneventful road movie-cum-romantic drama. Unfortunately neither character has much to offer so this doesn't really work as a character study either. With no big climax, the satisfaction it offers remains sporadic and small.
½ April 27, 2017
This film is marketed in the horror / survival genre but it is neither of those things. This film is just another indie piece of crap about some dude and some woman falling in love under strange circumstances. Because it's an indie film of course it takes two hours to get through five minutes of dialogue with a bunch of artsy cinematography filler shots breaking everything up. SPOILER: the "Monsters" get about three minutes of screen time total.

SPOILER: the movie is about what Monsters humans are, and how beautiful the aliens supposedly are, which doesn't work because most of the humans in the film go way above and beyond to help each other out and show what beautiful creatures humans can be. The entire film doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If the director didn't have his head shoved so far up his ass he'd have shown just how disgusting humans are throughout the whole film before the grossly disappointing ending. If I'd seen this in theaters I'd have asked for my money back, and I've never done that in my life. The only "Monsters" are the goddamned marketing team here.

These pretentious indie films cocking off with the attitude that "oh you're just too stupid to get it" need to end.
½ April 11, 2017
I enjoyed it so much! but itīs not for everyone, those who wants to see monsters eating humans every minute, stay away and go to see the war of the worlds, this one is much more intimate, and really worth watching movie, every detail counts
April 3, 2017
Not good nor bad. It has several geographical inconsistencies, distances between places and mixtures of landscapes of several countries. Still watchable.
March 28, 2017
I don't even know the point of this film! It built up to... well nothing at all really. What a load of bleh!
½ March 28, 2017
It's a lovely bit of film.
½ March 23, 2017
I enjoyed the creation of a believable world of which aliens were simply part.
March 20, 2017
Finally saw this but glad I got it after price had gone down. Not a terrible or bad film, but very lacklustre. Reviews on DVD box describe it as 'Thrilling, Action Packed and Jaw-dropping" but it is none of these things. How on earth the two lead characters fall in love I will never know (both stupid and selfish) and both are unlikeable. The effects are good when you see them, yet there's only one real action set-piece and not alot else happens otherwise. Idea is original, everything else feels like it's been done before. Probably would have fallen asleep had I watched it in cinema.
½ February 17, 2017
I was too busy being bored out of my mind to enjoy this. SERIOUSLY. This movie is more proof that critics are often wrong and not to be trusted. The only slightly enjoyable characters were the aliens and the kooky infected-zone squatters. Yes, it's impressive on a low budget, but it didn't work as sci-fi, action, or drama. Unless you're really bored, avoid.
½ February 16, 2017
Expertly made for it's budget, if only Gareth Edwards knew how to not make it dull. His cheap monster effects and weak symbolic message weigh the personal intimacy between the key cast down.
January 11, 2017
A supervisor recommended this to me and I've been listening to the soundtrack every day, its by Jon Hopkins. Its on netflix. Its a very good movie to watch because of our incoming president. Its prophetic.
January 7, 2017
Simple, low budget feel of a movie about two people trying to make it back across the US border with an alien inhabitation as a backdrop.