Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters Reviews

½ April 16, 2018
One of the worst movies I've seen. The guy is the biggest douche EVER! AND he still gets the girl at the end...kinda. They 2 stars of the movie are married in real life...blah
March 4, 2018
A journey through a monster crisis focused entirely on two individuals. Luckily they're likable, I wanted to hear their thoughts and see what happened to them.

The monsters themselves play little on screen roll, understandably for an indie project...but it's worked very well into the movie, tension and thrills are kept high when needed and when the monsters do make an appearance they look suitably alien and convincing.

Topped off with a satisfying beginning middle and end...this is just a solid movie.
½ February 2, 2018
A refreshing change from the typical gut wrenching, cliff hanger sci-fi offering that seems to pervade the cinema. Just enough plot change, observation of life, commentary on poor people and politics under the fairly benign presence of alien life. McNary is terrifically realistic, making the film very real and down to earth, while Able is just there to hang her long white legs out from under the Poncho, in a serene privileged white class princess kind of way. Worth a relaxed watch on Stan, but I wouldn't pay to see it in a Cinema.
January 3, 2018
Definitely not a horror, so don't watch it for the scares. It's more of a drama than anything else. Not bad overall.
January 1, 2018
Garbage, utter garbage! I think it's super important for a monster movie to actually have...(wait for it)...monsters in it!
½ December 14, 2017
1.- a pyramid near the US border, seriously? also Central America, Guatemala? rain forest in the north of México?.
2.- Characters horrible developed, unidimensional, the worst of the movie.
3.- he wants to take a picture of a monster, he cares for his camera, takes pictures of everything except the monsters.
and the list could be very large.

yes a cute metaphor of immigration and all, but is very bland
December 3, 2017
Stunning work for a guy in his pyjamas sitting in his apartment
November 25, 2017
A lesson in what can be achieved when the necessities of a tight budget forces the movie makers to be inventive. A simple enough story, great cast: an enjoyable movie.
November 15, 2017
Monsters does an excellent job at creating a moody atmosphere, and has good, looming special FX. The performances are fine, and the characters are believable, but their huge drawback is they suffer from that classic befuddling tendency to stand around and wait for the danger. What I mean is, the characters are fully aware they're in a dangerous quarantined zone with huge alien monsters; not to mention their deaths would mean their documentary would be lost and unrecoverable, and left unseen by the people; but when they hear roaring and feel the shaking ground, they remain until the alien is directly on top of them before fleeing, and it costs their team some lives. But overall, this film has good visuals and cinematography, and the themes are romantically human, and it's worth watching once, or twice, which may give the audience the chance to ignore the little moments of character error.
November 9, 2017
While it feels like not enough happens give it's brilliant premise, the film manages to get by on some stunning visuals, gorgeous sets, and an easy back and forth between the two leads.
September 24, 2017
Relevant, with the right amount of energy and subdued spectacle.
August 27, 2017
Slow movie but not the worst story I've ever seen
August 20, 2017
Not a bad film. The aliens ( Monsters ) could have been something we haven't seen ten times before. A little bit of creativity would have helped tremendously right there. Everything else was ok. The lead actress was a bit annoying with the mouth breathing ( mouth always open ) but I dunno, maybe that was supposed to be sexy. Previous reviewer right in that the title didn't match the film..
½ August 14, 2017
Six years after the crash of a NASA space probe, a large area between Mexico and the U.S. is under quarantine while Mexican and American military forces fight a losing battle with the giant creatures who now live there. While covering the conflict, a photojournalist (Scoot McNairy) gets uncomfortably close to the action when he escorts his boss's daughter (Whitney Able) through the zone to the U.S. border...
½ August 8, 2017
Awful, seriously; and the geographic locations? Wtf? Only people who lives under a rock won't know Costa Rica and Guatemala places where the film was made...
½ August 7, 2017
Before he directed Rogue One, Gareth Edwards made a name for himself with this impressive indie. I liked how the focus stays on the two humans and leaves the alien details in the background. Good example of the "less is more" philosophy.
August 4, 2017
"Monsters" may not give you what you think you are in for, but instead it brings you a wonderfully directed scope of awness, that still satisfy on another but deeper level for a change.
½ July 4, 2017
Monsters is the directorial and writing debut of Gareth Edwards, and it stars Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able in a British science fiction about a photographer who's hired to bring back the boss's daughter to the United States from Mexico, and they have to walk through the infected zone where they're monsters there. When I was going on a vacation, I tried to download some films to keep myself occupied, but didn't have enough time to do so, and I ended up watching this only film that I downloaded a while back, which is cool to see where Gareth Edwards was at from the beginning to when he did Godzilla and Star Wars, so let's get started in this. The acting is good, although not special, which is something that Gareth Edwards is becoming well-known for in terms of the negative aspects, and it's a good idea that it's an actual couple that plays the main characters as it makes the dialogue feel more genuine and real when they are just talking about everyday stuff. As people already know, or already told other people, that there's not much monsters in this, which is another aspect that the director is strangely known for too like in Godzilla, it's Godzilla itself that isn't in it too much, and in Rogue One, it's Darth Vader. So as to say what the premise is like, think of it as a The Road with a little bit of Before Sunrise, which can turn off some viewers that weren't expecting a romance out of this. The special effects on the creatures look really good for a low budget, and the ending is a very sad and sweet one that is not quite something that you see in a monster film. So while there were some character development on McNairy's character, Whitney's character is a cardboard one as you don't know much about her character, but you do care about them because of the conversations that they have. The pacing can be very slow for some viewers to handle, and there were some moments that didn't really go anywhere which felt meandering to the plot even though it's short. It has some thought-provoking moments, but I feel like I've seen this before in better monster films. Monsters is a really good movie that I'm glad Gareth Edwards got himself into the Godzilla film, which turned out to be a better film.
July 3, 2017
From director Gareth Edwards (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) comes this little known film from 2010. An intriguing blend of highlights seen in other films.
It basically follows the events of an alien infected zone between the United States and Mexico following the crash of a space probe in the region.
The infection has produced creatures of War Of The Worlds proportions that have a bit of Alien mixed in.
A photographer escorts a US tourist through the infected zone from Mexico to the apparent safety of the U.S.
The United States is protected from the infected zone by a giant man made wall that invoked memories of President Trump's Prexidential campaign in 2016!
Chuck in a bit of Jurassic Park, 28 Days Later then you are halfway to understanding this film.
It obviously had budgetary constraints but Edwards proves his credentials for bigger projects in future with this effort that looks more polished.
½ June 7, 2017
While the ending left me frustrated, the film is saved by it's deep political commentary, real performances, and an interesting story, which is more than most movies with such a low budget can do and showcases early directorial talent from Gareth Edwards.