The Muppet Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Muppet Christmas Carol Reviews

July 31, 2017
The best Christmas film ever produced. Classic muppet wit juxtaposed against a serious but beloved Michael Caine. The set and feel of the film is so cozy and perfect : it's better when watched on a video tape rather than DVD because it's given extra fuzzy orange lighting. The songs have gone down in my mind as the best xmas songs ever. Overall is just a perfect childhood film
July 3, 2017
Check out the muppets do Christmas and kids will enjoy this I bet
April 20, 2017
Delightful from beginning to end. This is an every-year holiday must.
April 14, 2017
easily one of the most complete films of all time. Superb story line, music and finest Caine performance in years
January 3, 2017
I'm glad I saw it with Dana. It was a fun movie and I'd be happy to watch it again sometime. I'm not a big enough fan of the Muppets to really love it, but the story was true to the original with some added songs and extras.
½ January 2, 2017
Classic Christmas fare! It's not Christmas unless this film is watched! Great songs, perfect casting of Michael Caine and the Muppets what is there not to like?
December 27, 2016
Great Muppet Christmas movie starring the guy who plays Alfred in the dark knight trilogy. This is a great Christmas movie with the Muppets. The Muppets could never go wrong, even though this movie isn't starring a Muppet but an actual human being. It feels like a Muppets movie but at the same time has a seasame street vibe to it with the people. I thought this movie would be bad because Kermit the frog isn't starring the movie but the guy who plays Ebenezer sgrooge does a fantastic job , I love the story of Ebenezer srooge , it's just feel good movie.
December 25, 2016
The turn is too sudden, but a nice enough movie.
jamrcla
½ December 24, 2016
Easily the best Muppet's movie ever, A great take on the classic tale, Some catchy songs, Funny humour, Michael Caine was great but some bits may scare younger kids but there's allot of fun to be had.
December 21, 2016
I couldn't think of a single reason not to give this 5 stars. A perfect version of classic Christmas tale.
½ December 20, 2016
The Muppets add a bit of joy in another adaptation of the beloved Christmas Classic
December 16, 2016
Absolutely worth a yearly watch... CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!
December 11, 2016
Unfortunately this movie gets edited for time a lot. Worth renting or buying DVD to see all the songs. Michael Caine is a Great Scrooge. Just had it's 24th anniversary.
November 26, 2016
Perfect holiday movie
November 23, 2016
BESTEST EVER! Michael Caine at his BEST! GREAT MUSIC and GREAT Family FUN!
November 12, 2016
Ebenezer Scrooge (Michael Caine) is a grumpy business man who is an active hater of Christmas, thinking that people shouldn't waste potential working days for leisure time. On the next holiday season, he receives some special visitors who try to show and convince that the true meaning of Christmas is one worth celebrating.

I think the Muppets are very entertaining and can be very funny; I enjoy their comedy shows and I appreciate how diverse the cast is, which helps remember most of them. Their feature length films, though, I feel can be either fairly entertaining and funny (such as "Muppets from Space" or "Muppet Treasure Island") or annoying and weird (like "The Great Muppet Caper").

For this film, I thought the humor was well balanced to be enjoyable for kids while also appealing to adults who might have grown with these characters. Most of the Muppets have their own moments to showcase their talents but they are not annoying. The musical sequences are good. I don't know if I would say amazing, but they work for this Muppet movie.

The human cast also does a fine job. Michael Caine has the characteristics of what you might imagine Ebenezer Scrooge to be like: grouchy, a snob, but also a sad man at his core. I don't know most of the other cast members, nor would I probably recognize them by name, but they did well in their parts by showing their Christmas spirits.

Being an adaptation of Charles Dickens' novel "A Christmas Carol", the movie develops its plot well enough to stand on its own while respecting the original story, for the most part. If anything, the last scene of Christmas Past feels a little bit too rushed to get the full feel of Scrooge's motivation of his dislike for Christmas. I thought his character changes in the movie were well done with the songs because they have at least some time to be good. The theatrical edition of "The Muppet Christmas Carol" was going to have a song also showing Ebenezer's Christmas past, but apparently it was taken out of the final film because the filmmakers thought it was too hard to understand for kids. Thank goodness for the special edition where we actually listen to that song. Such a shame it was taken out.

"The Muppet Christmas Carol" is a mostly beat for beat retelling of the Dickens classic, while having a blend of its Muppet style to go along with it. And honestly, it doesn't need to do anything complex for its story; it should just have good songs, storytelling, and performances to be good. And it is really good.
8/10
August 17, 2016
It would be natural to assume that this would be a regular holiday cash maker, overly sentimental and soppy and another Hollywood butting of a classic novel. The only thing is, it isn't.
June 28, 2016
A good kids movie and a good music! A good Christmas movie or at any time!!