My Cousin Rachel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Cousin Rachel Reviews

September 20, 2017
Great performances and loved the open ending.
September 18, 2017
Disappointed! Thought I'd like this Movie. This story line has been done over and over again but way better. Slow and Dull with no real punch at the end. I didn't care at any point if either of them did die.
September 15, 2017
My Cousin Rachel: Ironically, Rachel Weisz stars as the titular character in this period film about a young Englishman who falls for the mysterious and captivating widow whom he suspects of killing his guardian while abroad in Italy. While this remake of the 1952 film starring Richard Burton and Olivia DeHavilland has all of the expected gorgeous cinematography, set design and costumes, it is the standout performances by Weisz and Sam Claflin (Finnock in the later Hunger Games films), as the increasingly unstable (or is it poisoned?), lovesick, would-be heir to his late guardian's estate, that has us wondering what is real and what is imagined. An abrupt ending, which mirrors the Daphne du Maurier novel from which it was adapted, is its weakest point, but it is still a well done character study. B+
September 14, 2017
I watched this last night and I enjoyed it a lot. I love a good period piece and there's a perfect mix of suspense, mystery, and a tiny bit of dark romance. The only thing I didn't enjoy 100% was the end because they leave things up for a tiny bit of interpretation and I want answers! Great film though.
½ September 12, 2017
time wasted poor film
September 12, 2017
Touted as a mystery but containing nothing much to wonder or dissect, My Cousin Rachel limps through a series of mostly uninteresting events before reaching not a climax, but a sudden stop. You'd expect an alleged mystery to end with a big whammy ending, the rug being pulled out from under us, and unexpected twist leaving us in chock and awe. But no such revelation comes, and I had no idea what I was actually supposed to be concerned about. In fact I initially suspected that an entire scene, or several, might be missing. Rachel Weisz turns in a good performance, but she's stuck acting opposite one of the most annoying main characters in recent memory. A man who spends most of his time watching people ride away on horseback, he mopes, whines, pulls the same mildly befuddled expression over and over again and changes his motivation on a dime without rhyme or reason. A talented cast manage to be upstaged by everything in the background, with cliffs, trees and farmland being the most appealing things in it. As the film progressed I began to suspect I was wasting my time watching it, but when the slap-in-the-face ending happens, I was left in no doubt.
½ September 11, 2017
This movie gets 1.5 stars only for the beautiful set, costumes, and cinematography. Yes the acting was pretty good, but the plot was awful and both main characters where obnoxious to watch. The ending just made it worse. I get the director was going for the ultimate did she didn't she mystery, however you have to somewhat like the characters to even care to ponder after the movie ends. All I could ponder was how I wasted my time watching the movie.
½ September 10, 2017
My Cousin Rachel is directed and written by Roger Michell, and it stars Rachel Weisz and Sam Claflin in a romantic drama about a young man who's suspicious of a woman who's married to his cousin who has mysteriously died, but ends up falling in love with her. I first heard of this film from a random trailer from my mom's room and it got me curious to see the film. So I rented My Cousin Rachel from a rental store a week after it was out with Colossal, and it turned out to be a really great film. Sam Claflin is really good as the main lead, being nice in one scene, and then going paranoid in the other when the movie keeps going, but then comes Rachel Weisz who is the best part of the film because she plays the part so manipulating that I wasn't even quite sure about if I should trust her or not, and it's interesting to see where it goes when it shows her. The chemistry between the two main leads is sweet, albeit intentionally uncomfortable that I'm not sure where this is going. The mystery is quite interesting, but then there are some points that it was really slow to handle for me, but I was feeling really sick with allergies, so I'm not quite sure on that one. With that said, My Cousin Rachel is a really great film that definitely feels like a pre-historic Gone Girl, but even though it's not quite as masterful as that, it still feels different enough that I didn't see much of the differences.
September 10, 2017
Good update of my favorite Daphne du Maurier novel. There was the opening of both the book and the 50s film that I missed, and the ending has been slightly changed from both, although I thought the change was really unnecessary and left out an element I felt would have made it better. There was also a change that I did not see a need for, but all in all an excellent remake. Rachel Weisz makes an superb Rachel Ashley, and we are still left in the same place at the conclusion.
September 9, 2017
Enjoyed it and the story line.
½ September 7, 2017
I thought this was going to be good, but you just wish it was a lot smarter and a lot more to it.
½ September 6, 2017
The acting was good but directing, story, set all else was really bad.
September 3, 2017
Watchable, and bit predictable
½ September 2, 2017
Visually beautiful, good acting. Ending may bother some due to ambiguity but overall I enjoyed it.
September 2, 2017
Good performance from Rachel Weisz can't save this one.
½ September 2, 2017
This movie was boring and weird. I almost fell asleep... the idea is cool - making Rachel seem off and driving the main character crazy, but it just ended up being very blah.
September 2, 2017
A damn good costume drama based on novel by Daphne du Maurier published in 1951. It's the third big screen adaptation so far - this time from the creative mind of Roger Mitchell, the director still best known for 1999's romantic comedy Notting Hill".
Mitchell felt so sure of his classic adapating abilities that he also wrote the screenplay which he hasn't tried before (at least it's the man's first writing credit in IMDb). And the double job is well done, too, the movie feels exemplary and enjoyable in every aspect.
So, about the mysterious Rachel, played by Rachel Weisz following in Olivia de Havilland's and Geraldine Chaplin's footsteps. A fine woman can drive men wild, and all the more so in the world of 19th century rich Englishmen who are used to getting all the fine things they desire.
Philip (Sam Claflin) dislikes her at first, believing she is responsible for his guardian's and best friend's death whom she was married to. But the radiant widow wins him over in no time, the boy falls hard for her, and then we can only hope to figure out what Rachel is really after. Also playing: Iain Glen, Holliday Grainger, Pierfrancesco Favino et al.
If you ask me, a quality costume drama needs to look beautiful and offer good acting above all else, and My Cousin Rachel" delivers both in abundance.
The visual side is noticeably good-looking without trying to steal the attention from actors or story - all the English countryside almost feels like an important character in its own right. And the cast plays superbly, the central place belonging to Sam Claflin whose competent and nuanceful performance is a joy to witness and carries the story well.
Until Rachel enters, of course - Weisz has so much elegance, flame and sheer physical presence that it's easy to buy her as a mystery woman winning people over instantly wherever she goes.
Her character is supposed to intrigue and make us question her true motives till the end, which could easily turn the result into a mediocre B-thriller with lesser actress involved. But Weisz stays classy, natural, and charming however the story twists and turns and depicts the character.
In conclusion, I have nothing bad to say about the movie. It's not always perfect, some developments could have been played out to offer emotional impact, and the final chapter of the story feels perhaps rushed.
But I really liked everything the makers did with the material, and I especially applaud the choice to stay subtle and not turn the dramatics up to 11 just because they could have.
For example, there's no epic" finale or steamy sensual scenes just to win over some more of that mainstream public. Not that the result isn't sensual.
August 30, 2017
My Cousin Rachel is beautifully shot, well-acted, and at times chilling, and it shows Rachel Weisz's talent without Brendan Fraser hogging the spotlight!
August 29, 2017
A gothic thriller and Victorian-era drama with a bewitching eye for period detail.