My Cousin Rachel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Cousin Rachel Reviews

February 14, 2018
A bewitching & beautifully captured tale of arcane love, satisfyingly sheathed with powerful performance of main lead (Rachel Weisz). On e of the best dark costume drama of the year.
½ February 12, 2018
Simply terrible. Boring and heavy-handed. How much harder could they try to foreshadow that MAYBE SHE'S POISONING HIM??? Melodramatic with terrible acting. The male lead is so stupid you wish she would hurry up and finish him off. The critics who raved about this movie should be ashamed.
February 4, 2018
A mystery woman from Italy!

It is a spectacular film by its wonderful costume displays and fantastic performances. Along with they have shot the entire film in the great locations. I think that's it, that's the film. The story wise, nothing impressive. Might have been one of the best tales in the old days, though at present, we've lots of similar ones and I had seen many films with the same story structure too.

Based on the book of the same name and the second film adaptation. The story of an orphan boy who was adopted by his cousin and passed all his wealth to him. Then one day on the edge of his 25th birthday, he meets his cousin's cousin from Italy, Rachel. Her visit changes his life, but it was something more than he has thought of. What is it and how the story ends comes in the later parts.

It was a thorough show by none other than Sam Claflin and Rachel Weisz. The story, the scenes were predictable. I had never heard this tale before, so that was a relief, particularly about the end. Even though it was not the best conclusion. In my opinion, it is an okay film. Maybe one time watchable film for decently made. Overall, an average adaptation/remake.

February 1, 2018
quite an intriguing movie with no surprises
½ January 17, 2018
Here is a whole movie based on a reverse twist in the end, which but for its author's popularity is just about ok. The rest of the story is like an extended prelude, trying to generate anxiety and anticipation about the twist. In fact, the surprise is created more out of the breeding of the conventional paranoia. Some crisp interactions, but a lack of almost any departure from the story summarized in the trailer (or one that would be expected by anyone used to books or movies) for almost entire length hurts.
January 17, 2018
The film is at least decently made, they know how to shoot the set they've stumbled upon but really you would have to be worse than Michael Bay in order to screw these shots up. On the whole it's a decently acted movie with an average understanding of how shots should look, a weak script and an insanely stupid plot. It really is just not worth your time unless you stumble upon it sometime when you use Netflix in a year. Upside, it was at least humorously bad in some parts which puts it way above that Transformers movie that I'm still traumatized by.
January 16, 2018
Fantastic adaptation of Daphne Du Maurier's book... Rachel Weisz is awesome in this dark, unpredictable and moving tale. Don't understand why it's not rated more highly... I'd definitely watch this again..!
January 11, 2018
My Cousin Rachel is not a film I would have chosen to see as my initial perceptions of it were as far removed from my taste in movies as you might possibly get. However, I am happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. It's not another period romance, it's tense psychological drama fueled by suspicion, doubt, fear and the power men and women perceive to hold over each other. Rachel Weisz does not appear on screen until 20 minutes and from that point on she steals every scene she is in, certainly the best film I have ever seen her in. Sam Claflin was also decent as the naive Phillip.
½ January 1, 2018
Mi prima Rachel [2017]
January 1, 2018
Rachel Weisz puts in a strong performance as the enigmatic Rachel in this adaptation of Daphne Du Maurier's darkly gothic story of love and vengeance. Believing that she is the cause of the death of his beloved guardian, wealthy farmer Philip plans his revenge but when the enigmatic Rachel turns up, he soon finds himself bewitched and charmed by her alluring presence. The film is well made but the central plot mystery about whether Rachel is a murderous black widow or hapless victim of circumstance is rather shoved at the viewer a little too often and so loses any subtlety and depth. I quite like the idea that there is some ambiguity and mystery about the character of Rachel but was less convinced by the motivation and drive of the character Philip who appeared to be too gullible and fickle to be fully rounded as a 19th century landowner. My Cousin Rachel has all the right ingredients to make it an excellent melodrama but it feels as though it has been boiled a little too long making it all a bit stodgy and dry. However, Weisz herself is very watchable and clearly relishes the role she is playing.
½ December 19, 2017
If you're a fan of British period melodrama, you will probably like this movie. This genre is usually a mixed bag for me, so I figured I'd give it a go, but I have to say it's not one of the best. The entire story just rang false to my ears, there is just something inherently unbelievable about it. I have never read the book and knew nothing about the story, but 20 bucks says that the book is much better - this adaptation does not seem like it does the story justice. The film starts off strong with a good introduction that doesn't dawdle and dives right in. But it starts to slowly crumble apart soon after that as the characters begin to behave and make decisions that deviate further and further from what any human person would do in real life. The performances are great and the actors really give it their all to make their characters feel realistic, but the composition of the film makes it hard to really buy in. I don't want to say too much for fear of giving away the "mystery" of whether enigmatic cousin Rachel is up to no good (which is pretty damn predicable anyway)... I'll just say that I was bothered by the protagonist's total fickleness in his regard for her. Though competently played by Sam Claflin, the character is totally unlikeable, and I spent the whole movie wanting him to get his comeuppance. The 180, and ultimate 360, that he goes through it just too extreme to be believable, despite the convincing performances. And as beguiling as Rachel Weisz is, I can't see that she, or any woman for that matter, would have this kind of power over men. The entire plot and even the "twist" at the end is boring and predictable, so the tension the film tries to build is ineffective. It's all a little too vague and there is too much flip-flopping, culminating in an abrupt ending that seems unintentionally haphazard and thrown together, and is devoid of any emotional resonance. If there is a reason to watch this movie, it's for the performances... but even then, I wouldn't say it'd be worth it.
½ November 17, 2017
(5.5 out of 6)
When we have always thought ourselves being in other places when our tastes are not suited in other places to keep out of something's and being in other things when it's family business. When what others try to get in they find another way in when it's friends. When we must go in some places where we see others tastes are in strange dark places to know we are in over our head. When what makes others go out, makes room for us in when we are given titles and entitlementswhen others are coming in to stay with us. When what others don't see suitable for what fits us in such places we know they are best suited out. When what let's themselves into places we don't know what we are in-store for when others are a mystery.

When what we see is in fragile state, we meet those in bad circumstances. When what we get to know, we know others are not into dark acts, when they are in good spirits. When what others are into we are into ourselves when we share the same tastes. When other places we are in our presence draws in plenty of attention, and entertainment. When what we are into, others welcome when they are into holy things. When what others are into, we are not into when we are into other things. When we see getting into places is hard when what others are into are more empowering ourselves and what others our kind are into. When we see many are into those when they are beautiful and loving. When what we never planned to be into something's we are only into this place to be closer to family. When what others we loved were into we wish to be close when they are into the same things we are into. When what we see in love we get into all what it embodies, when its presence surrounds us with that feel that digs deep within us that we don't want it to go, when there is plenty of hate & pain to not surcome.

When what we were into in our past is not what we are into in our present when it's hate. When what old possessions others hold we are not into when we betray what we once were into for something else we are into today. When we see others would be into other things when it's beauty suits them. When we see we are into eachother and into having a pleasant evening to share with others who are into the spirit of gift giving. When what others are into we must get into when it involves the family estate to know others are into giving then into saving. When what others see whom they are into, we see they are madly in love. When what others are into they can't come out from when it's being a widow. When what we get ourselves into we see all the affairs of what love and turmoil can bring when we can't bring life into this world. When what others are into they invite in when they are old acquaintances that others are not into, when love gets competitive. When what we put into writing we finalize what we wish to be into when it's a future. When what we get ourselves into we see being close to the edge gets us into deadlier places and other things livelier places. When what others are interested in is our happiness when we are into other things when it's sex. When what others get into they don't see, when getting deep into things gets us. When what we wish to get into others don't wish to get into when it's marriage & family. When what we don't see what we get into when it's all business that we think we can buy our way into love, when other love stares us in the face we don't want to get into. When what others are into when they are into too much of gossip they share others are into money then love. When what we wish others to get into we see others don't want to be alone with us when what we get into we are not ready when we are a child and less serious about love then ourselves. When what everyone gets into is all what is there to get into when some estates our everyone's livelihood including our own to know what we let in and out effects us all to go into dark places when misfortune could kill us all. When what we see we must get into others warn us of what others are into to not get into deep. When what we can't see what we don't know other dark things seep into our heart that we no longer get into deeper when doubts & betrayal surround us. When what we wish others to get into in what we think our mind thinks others want to get into we see we are blind when we are tormented by not knowing the truth we are into and can't get out. When we see we what we have done to be tormented in our actions were just or unfair with those whom want to get into our heart.
½ November 5, 2017
So weird. The absolutely killer intro (like, a Calvary-level intro) gave me so much hope, and then literally nothing interesting happened for the next hour and a half. The cinematography is so gorgeous, and the acting is so compelling (especially considering the incredibly boring screenplay they had to work with), that it makes you wonder why so many talented filmmakers would even bother with such a nothing script. There is a central mystery, yes, but it doesn't develop, and there is no real sense of tension in the uncertainty throughout. The main guy just abandons his hypothesis so the mystery has virtually no presence in the film anyway. I could see this being a really good book, or even a good thriller as long as there was some looming sense of danger throughout. Overall it was so disappointing, which is disappointing in a secondary way since there were many promising aspects just waiting for something to work with.
½ October 28, 2017
chilling thriller with an unexpected twist
October 22, 2017
Your cousin Rachel is a secretive boring bitch. The movie was boring as well. I kind of liked what happens in the end but I hate unanswered questions; it doesn't leave suspense for me; I just lose interest.
October 20, 2017
I would?ve give it a 4 stars if I figure out what actually happened at the end. Did Rachel kill the uncle or didn?t she? Did she came for the money or didn?t she? Did she and the lawyer are lovers? So many questions!
October 8, 2017
A good story. Not sure about the ending though.
½ October 7, 2017
Having loved the novel, I was excited to see this movie. Rachel Weisz managed to capture the 'Rachel' I envisioned reading the book, but that was possibly the only thing this adaptation pulled off. The book, while it has a dark and maddening undercurrent throughout, is not so jumpy and overwrought. Du Marier's narrators are prone to excessive pondering and self-doubt, which creates a slow and devastating sort of horror, but you wouldn't know it from this film. Philip moves through mental states at such a breakneck speed that it's as if he's out of his mind from the start. I couldn't sympathize with him because I couldn't stop being annoyed by how stupidly he was behaving! Claflin's acting wasn't the problem so much as the script, which spliced his character into the angry, vengeance seeking "Before Rachel" Philip and the pathetic, love-sick "After Rachel" Philip, without a single scene to bridge the gap. Then there was the mess with the tea, the plants, and the overhauled ending-- I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have picked up on any of the barely there references had I not already read the book. In the last minute of the film, I had to rewind and ask myself, 'Wait, is this really how they're ending it? But..." It could have been so much better. I guess that's my takeaway. Bummer.
½ October 7, 2017
The film's approach is so heavy-handed that it is almost impossible not to think of its protagonist as an idiot and the whole attempt at ambiguity completely lost, trying so hard to convince us of something only to surprise us with an ending that insults our intelligence.
October 6, 2017
Glad I saw it on a plane & did not spend money in the cinema. Overwrought acting and every plot turn signposted in three-storey neon signs. Very disappointing. Expected something much better.