Needful Things - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Needful Things Reviews

August 11, 2017
Max von Sydow's devil jokes tho ??
June 20, 2017
Overlong, over-produced Stephen King byproduct. Forget it along with Firestarter, In the Mouth of Madness, Maximum Overdrive, and all the others.
June 11, 2017
It has some entertaining devilish moments, however the over all theme of the film is "the devil made us do it" and no one takes responsibility for their actions... At the end the devil leaves and the viewer is left with the impression that everyone is just going to forget about all the bad things they did. Max von Sydow and Ed Harris played rather brilliant performances however, for the characters they played. Some of the scenes are quite memorable because of them. So it's worth a watch even though you may be frustrated with how the story plays out.
½ March 3, 2017
Does a great job in capturing the lunacy of the novel, and, like the book, never tries to make anything serious out of a whacky town descending into madness.
February 8, 2017
Read Stephen King's book first, then the horror move has a bit of humor....
½ December 26, 2016
Ni me la terminé de ver, otra película aburridora basada en un libro de King y el trailer no corresponde a la película.
July 19, 2016
Though it pulls its punches from MY FAVORITE NOVEL OF ALL TIME and streamlines the cast, Needful Things is not a terrible movie. It just commits the worst crime of all... it could've been better.
May 10, 2016
Max von Sydow is brilliant in this movie, as in most movies he stars in.
½ March 13, 2016
What a piss poor adaptation.
½ February 6, 2016
Actually a lot more enjoyable than I imagined. Acting quite good and story although altered for screen is acceptable. Bit of fun. Horror does not always need to be scary-tongue in cheek.
January 2, 2016
So disappointing from the first "trade..." Everyone's needful thing is changed! The point of the baseball card is lost. Nettie's beautiful carnival glass destroyed! And I won't even say what happened to little sweet raider who never hurt a fly! Appalling. Seriously, why put Wilma on a turkey farm. That dog must have one heckova bark to reach her all the way out there. WHY?! What happened to You Sew and Sew? MAJOR characters like Ace, Cora and Myra and Lester and Sally and John are just... gone. And Alan and Leland do not dance around one another but meet within 15 minutes, pointlessly to the plot. Do yourself a favor... read the book. AVOID the movie. I want my 2 hours back. This should be remade as a miniseries, and everyone involved with this farce should be sent to their beds without supper.
½ September 13, 2015
good horror adaption of a Steven King novel
½ August 25, 2015
Far too long with what feels like padding for most of the film; yet it's still gripping and creepy. Probably would have worked better as a miniseries but I still rather enjoyed this.
July 21, 2015
That was fun. A lot funnier than I was expecting. Sydow was awesome in it.
½ April 8, 2015
A for the location and visuals,F for everything else.
½ October 28, 2014
I really don't like how in the end none of the citizens take responsibility for the terrible things they have done, instead saying essentially: It's not my fault, the Devil made me do it. Yeah, well he didn't, you chose to do those terrible things (also yes, the ending is significantly weak and unsatisfying). With that rant out of the way, I'll say that Needful Things is still a silly, campy, fun film with an interesting performance from Max Von Sydow as The Devil (His devil seems like a kindly Grandfather type with sinister intentions).
½ September 27, 2014
Von Sydow is excellent.
½ September 21, 2014
It's hard to put my finger on what exactly went wrong with this Stephen King adaptation. It's an interesting King story about the Devil coming to the small town of Castle Rock and then subtly stirs the pot, turning the kindly townsfolk against one another until it builds to an explosive climax. There's also a stellar cast, which includes Max von Sydow as the devil, Ed Harris as the town sheriff, Bonnie Bedelia as his girlfriend and also the quirky Amanda Plummer as one of the towns people and J.T. Walsh as the hotheaded mayor. The film was also adapted by W.D. Richter who wrote some terrific films, ranging from the "invasion of the Body Snatchers" remake to "Brubaker" to even "Big Trouble in Little China." Richter also directed cult favorite " The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension." The film's director's cut originally ran for three hours, so maybe the film lost something with a hour removed. The film was directed by first time director Fraser C. Heston (Charlton's son) who does a good enough of job handling characters, story and action. I do remember this film having a terrific trailer though.
July 6, 2014
Comienza bien, pero se desliga tanto del libro de King que el interés se va perdiendo, sobre todo para quienes conocen el material original.