New Year's Eve - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

New Year's Eve Reviews

½ June 14, 2018
The lives of several couples and singles in New York City intertwine over the course of New Year's Eve.

Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads, "Shallow, sappy, and dull, New Year's Eve assembles a star-studded cast for no discernible purpose." Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times said, "New Year's Eve is a dreary plod through the sands of time until finally the last grain has trickled through the hourglass of cinematic sludge. How is it possible to assemble more than two dozen stars in a movie and find nothing interesting for any of them to do?" Kimberley Jones of the Austin Chronicle said, "Mostly, New Year's Eve is appalling stuff, a poorly constructed, sentimental sham. Auld Lang Syne." Claudia Winkleman on the BBC One show Film said "I have found the worst film of all time, and it is called New Year's Eve." Rolling Stone shared the same opinion and gave a zero stars rating, stating "Director Garry Marshall follows last year's Valentine's Day romcom crapfest with an even more puke-up-able sample of the species" and concluding New Year's Eve is "bad beyond belief". British newspaper The Telegraph named New Year's Eve one of the ten worst films of 2011. British film critic Mark Kermode named it as the worst film of 2011. On the more positive side, Entertainment Weekly's Owen Gleiberman said, "New Year's Eve is dunderheaded kitsch, but it's the kind of marzipan movie that can sweetly soak up a holiday evening."

"New Year's Eve" is the second in an unofficial trilogy of romantic comedy films directed by Garry Marshall, set on a one-day holiday and featuring an ensemble cast in a variety of stories, the other films being "Valentine's Day" (2010) and "Mother's Day" (2016). The idea is there in "New Years Eve" but this supersweet caramel makes you choke on the sweetness when Marshall push through every silly little idea he could come up with. The cast is ok I reckon and it´s a gigantic ensemble cast we get to see with actors such as Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Abigail Breslin, Robert De Niro, Zac Efron, Héctor Elizondo, Carla Gugino, Ashton Kutcher, John Lithgow, Seth Meyers, Michelle Pfeiffer etc etc. But, even if we get a massive starting field of well known names, the storyline is simply quite unbearable which makes the film hard to watch and digest. The film feels forced and partly mechanical with a lack of credibility and you can´t shake the fact that you can´t really believe the intertwined stories that are presented infront of you. The characterisation is stereotypical and sloppy as well. The running time too long and there´s nothing that engages you emotionally. This is a foul ball.

Trivia: The film earned five Razzie Award nominations: Worst Picture, Worst Director (Garry Marshall), Worst Actress (Sarah Jessica Parker), Worst Screenplay and Worst Screen Ensemble, losing all to Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill.
½ February 5, 2018
It's cute. I'll admit! But I really only watched it for Halle Berry and Michelle Pfeiffer!
December 31, 2017
It was okay. It lost half a star for the inclusion of Jon Bon Jovi and his horrible singing (also it was really creepy watching him romantically involved with the much younger katherine Heigl).
There is a lot of stories and characters here. Some I liked (Abigail Breslin, Michelle Pfeifer, Katherine Heigl). Others I couldn't care less about (Jessica Biel, Hillary Swank).
If you liked Valentines Day, you might enjoy this, but there is definitely better out there.

31/12/17 rewatch. Took another half star off over the icky pregnant women storyline AND Jon Bon Jovi, who I think I loathe even more now than I did first watching this. I also dislike Ashton these days, which I didn't back then, so he was another nail in the coffin. Unenthralling storyline and too little time spent on the few interesting characters (Pfeiffer, Breslin).
½ December 29, 2017
New Years Eve is a great family movie, there are lots of interesting characters and it all ties together nicely.
½ December 17, 2017
Gangbanging this movie with lots of big names wasnt enough to save it from its (mostly) poor acting, and some cliche dialogue. The only part i liked what DeNiro's character. Ashton kutcher and lia michelle's parts were kinda cringey,, the whole pregnancy thing with seth meyers wasnt great either, and zac efron and michelle pfeiffer as romantic interests is just weird. Just a few touching moments and less chuckles keep this from being 1/2 star:
July 30, 2017
New Year's Eve is yet another contrived, emotionally manipulative and poorly written ensemble romantic comedy with unlikable characters and shameless product placement.
February 18, 2017
fun but way convoluted. too much in one movie.
February 15, 2017
Most cliche movie ever! I actually said what was going to happen and it did.
January 3, 2017
awesome, awesome, awesome
Surprisingly, it was actually a decent watch for New Year's Eve. Grade: B-
½ December 31, 2016
Pointsit hyvälle näyttelijäkaatille sekä Jon Bon Joville. (y)
December 31, 2016
New Year's Eve boasts a talented cast and has the best of intentions. Sadly, compared to Love Actually another romantic dramedy starring an ensemble cast in a series of stories which may or may not be connected, it comes out as a bit of a disappointment which ends up being a bit bland. I didn't hate it as much as some other people. However, I still felt it didn't quite live up to its true potential given the star-studded cast.
December 31, 2016
There's no story whatsoever in it
December 26, 2016
Basically, it's love actually.
½ December 24, 2016
Crap we've seen a million times before
December 21, 2016
Great casting. Loved this movie. I wish they would do more movies like this.
December 20, 2016
Cast perduto in una romantica commedia glassata di fondotinta e buoni sentimenti
December 8, 2016
An all star cast isn't convincing enough for me to waste two hours of my life on!
September 6, 2016
That movie make me love New York spirit so damn much.
acting & story telling was great .
½ August 11, 2016
This movie tricked me so badly. You'll know it when you get tricked, it's awesome. Pretty good, not as good as Valentines Day, though.