Oliver! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oliver! Reviews

October 4, 2017
this film is pure entertainment!
½ September 26, 2017
Terrible! Movie was too long and songs were rubbish
½ June 21, 2017
It's a little slower and less exciting than David lean's version but still, best picture and director? I'm not being bias since it stole the latter from Stanley Kubrick, I honestly think the Academy was a little overblown with this.
May 17, 2017
I could listen to the songs from Oliver all day long, and since the movie is almost wall-to-wall music that's a good thing. It's one of those classic musicals that has always made me want to get up out of my seat to dance and sing along. That is, in fact, what I used to do as a kid. I particularly loved singing "Consider Yourself" a truly delightful tune.

The story is a great one, and it still holds up even when you watch it multiple times. It always takes me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I greatly enjoy all of the cast except, sadly, Mark Lester. He takes the cute na´vetÚ too far, it seems so unbelievable when taken to that extreme. But I tolerate that, because it works for the character.

My only other problem with Oliver is one that I very rarely say about a film...it seems too short. Wait, did I just say a 2.5 hour movie seems short? Let me clarify: the story feels like it is taking place over a span of only two days. There were moments when I think it would have helped the story to give the illusion that a little time had passed.

In the long run, I think Oliver is a very enjoyable film. I can probably get the same enjoyment by listening to the soundtrack, but that's not a terrible thing in a musical. The story warms my heart and makes me smile. I could see it turning off people who don't enjoy classic musical style, but that's right up my alley.
May 9, 2017
Never before have I wanted more. A great classic musical. Big numbers, amazing sets, and a perfect cast.
May 4, 2017
I'm not quite ready to consider myself a fan just yet. Everything about it was very uneven. At times I found it brilliant, but for much of it I was bored. Some of the songs I loved right away, but others I never want to hear again. (First and only full viewing - 7/8/2010)
½ April 23, 2017
Oliver! (1968) C-153m. ??? 1/2 D: Carol Reed. Mark Lester, Ron Moody, Jack Wild, Shani Wallis, Oliver Reed, Hugh Griffith. One of the most timeless musicals ever, adapted from Charles Dickens' landmark novel, Oliver Twist, about young boy who escapes orphanage, proceeds to guided pickpocket life. Fine performances, songs, spirited choreography by Onna White in grand overall production. Wild is a sheer delight as (cleverly billed) The Artful Dodger. Check out David Lean's non-musical version, OLIVER TWIST (1948). Oscars: Picture, Director, Art-Direction, Sound, Score, plus a Special Achievement award for White's "Outstanding choreography".
April 10, 2017
Big beautiful musical. The best of the late 60's musical lot. Tremendously stages numbers and innovative choreography. Worthy Best Picture Oscar? Not by a long shot. Bit Oscar voters were in the dying gasps of conservative entertainment, decent musicals, and the future. Oh and (spoiler alert!) don't believe the comments about the character of Nancy dying. After Bill Sykes beats her, and her rescuers come, she is clearly moving her legs and ALIVE!
April 5, 2017
this films is one of the greatest musicals ever
the songs are memorable. Ron Moody great as Faigen Oliver Reed scary as Sykes and the story good. Classic
½ March 2, 2017
Reaction Shots, The Musical!
½ February 28, 2017
It's a nice little musical adaptation of the Charles Dickens classic.
½ January 31, 2017
Good treatment of Charles Dickens' classic story. What's interesting about this musical is that you have all these characters in pretty downtrodden situations, but unlike something like Les Mis, the songs for the most part are uplifting. They are making the best of what they have. I especially liked the group songs, like Consider Yourself. My main complaint with this movie is I wasn't a big fan of Oliver himself. The dubbed high-pitch singing was distracting and he was a nothing character compared to Fagin, the Artful Dodger, etc. I don't know why but Bill Sikes reminded me of Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.
½ June 29, 2016
I've seen most of the Academy Award Best Picture winners and this one may be one of the worst.
April 20, 2016
really good and emotional movie
March 15, 2016
One of the greatest musicals ever, wonderful songs and a classic Dickens story. With marvellous performances from Shani Wallace, Oliver Reed, Ron Moody and the younger cast members as well.
March 6, 2016
I tried to give this film a chance. But it just didn't resonate with me.
February 21, 2016
A musical extravaganza based on the stage musical and Dickens' classic novel. Tolerable (mostly) for a musical and nominated for 11 Academy Awards.
January 25, 2016
Visually a masterpiece! Every shot is craft fully planned; they don't plan movies like that anymore. But I miss some of the things from the play; some changes make it so it's not as heartfelt. Some of the songs go on for far too long.
December 31, 2015
Entertaining to kids then and to kids now
December 19, 2015
A good musical at that time. But a bit boring to see for now. Mark Lester and Jack Wild were both cute kids.