One Million Years B.C. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Million Years B.C. Reviews

½ June 9, 2016
There are worse films, there are better films. The best bits are thanks to Harryhausen.
June 26, 2015
One Million Years BC (soon to be retitled One Million Years BCE) features some terrific cinematography by Wilkie Cooper, some fairly scary dinosaurs courtesy of Ray Harryhausen, and a decidedly dark atmosphere that at times is quite disturbing. Raquel Welch is the reason most people (well, most men) cite for watching this film, but she's really only icing on the cake. Besides, Martine Beswick looks even better than Raquel does!Had a hard day at work? Don't feel like doing any deep thinking? Here's the first film you should reach for. No dialogue to keep up with or complex characters. Just sunny scenery, girls in fur bikinis and just enough Ray Harryhausen animated dinosaurs to keep things moving. If you have to go to the restroom, you don't even need to pause the DVD. Just go and when you come back, nothing of any depth has happened so it's easy to figure out what you missed. Just don't walk out on the true stars of the film - the dinosaurs. They are some of the best ever done for any film. It's 90 minutes of no-brainer entertainment and holds up to many viewings.
June 24, 2015
If you're a hardcore fan of stop motion monsters and mild cleavage, this is the movie for you. Otherwise, you have no business watching it.
½ June 24, 2015
Like an action packed visit to the creation science museum where dinos run alongside humans. Basically, prehistoric women in groomed hair and bikinis along with lots of fight scenes and grunting. Of course best known as the film that propelled Raquel Welch to fame.
May 26, 2015
Raquel Welch's body must be tired since it carried this movie for 2 hours.
½ February 19, 2015
i saw this first as a kid and everybody was talking about welch's bikini but all i was interested in was the effects by the master ray harryhausen and i wasn't disappointed.
January 11, 2015
Not much to say other than it was iconic and I saw it because of shawshank redemption.
November 25, 2014
This movie wasn't too bad considering fact that no one is really speaking. All you hear is grunts and groans (the movie deals with cavemen). But I thought it was interesting showing both the savage cavemen and then the cavemen that are civilized and have order.
October 10, 2014
Delightfully cheesy, with some of the best use of stop motion effects I've ever seen, and for such a simple story, it's quite underrated.
½ May 24, 2014
Come on people it's Raquel Welch wearing practically nothing and dinosaurs! Sure, it's really dumb but the dinosaurs are awesome and, I must repeat, there is Raquel Welch wearing practically nothing. What's not to like?
½ April 27, 2014
This movie was a remake of a 1940's movie. The whole movie is a fantasy where humans and dinosaurs living at the same time. There is no dialog, the actors just grunt at each other. Raquel Welch became famous after being in this movie due to the poster of her in a fur bikini. It started the fad of sexy actress posters that lasted until the 1980's. Ray Harryhausen did the stop motion animation of the dinosaurs. They also had iguanas film in close up to make them look 10 feet tall. All the cave women had perfect figures and clean hair with modern hairdos. The cavemen wore shoes too. When they made the silent film in the 1920's the public didn't know much about dinosaurs and didn't know that they didn't live at the same time as dinosaurs. By the 1960's everybody knew that dinosaurs lived millions of years before humans walked the earth. The movie would have flopped if it hadn't had Raquel Welch in it. Compared to Jurassic Park this movie's special effects are crude. It's not that much more advanced than King Kong. It was still the best they could do in the 1960's.
½ March 12, 2014
(63%)
One of Hammer's biggest productions (400,000+), and one of their biggest hits and I can see why it made so much money because it fits the big screen so well with fantastic direction and fun effects. Every science fiction fan should watch this as it is one of the finest examples of the pre-historic fantasy sub-genre ever made, and it is also so damn fun to watch.
½ January 24, 2014
With special effects ranging from close-ups of giant lizards and tarantulas to meticulous stop-motion dinosaur duels, Don Chaffey's marmite prehistory flick is a movie of extreme contrasts, varying quality and scantily-clad cavewomen occasionally splashing one another in the sea. The plot is practically non-existent, the dialogue is LITERALLY non-existent and the whole thing plays out like an uninformative, historically inaccurate documentary, with ear-piercing sound design in place of a David Attenborough voiceover. For some, however, Ray Harryhausen's effects work will be a redeeming feature of biblical proportions. Unbelievably bi-polar.
October 29, 2013
Perhaps I am jaded by current generation special effects and advances in film quality, but honestly this film bored me. Yes, Welch is smoking hot and Harryhousen's dinosaurs are great but the lack of real story plagues this film until you don't know why the cavemen are fighting exactly.
September 19, 2013
4 stars for Welch alone. And the dinosaurs of course
½ August 30, 2013
Inaccurate and a bit silly looking, but amazing stop-motion effects and epic caveman story telling. I have no idea why they cheated the first dinosaur out with a giant lizard, but the rest were spectacular. The story is hard to follow, being told through basically non-understandable dialog, it still manages to hold thrills and chills. Raquel Welch may have been the selling point of this film, it's still remarkably fun and quite memorable.
½ July 30, 2013
"One Million Years B.C." might today seem like no more than a cheesy bit of sixties pulp cinema, but it was obviously successful in its day as it spawned two sequels, "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" and "Creatures the World Forgot"......these sequels are today very much Films the World Forgot, whereas "One Million Years B.C." itself is still well-remembered.......the reason for this, of course, is that it was the film that catapulted Raquel to stardom.... Raquel's performance here is far from being her best, but she had not only the looks but also the charisma to become an instant celebrity; that famous picture of her in a fur bikini became a poster found on the bedroom walls of adolescent males for years afterwards. That was probably the film's most enduring legacy......
June 11, 2013
I just can't resist Ray HarryHausen's stop-motion effects
June 6, 2013
That film with that poster, of course you know what I mean. Actually a remake of a film with the same name from 1940 and keeping many sequences the same. In turn this film does also seem to be the influence behind big Roland Emmerich flop '10,000 BC'.

This was my first time seeing this Hammer classic and I must say I was completely surprised. The film starts out kinda like the sci-fi classic '2001' accept we don't have ape men but cavemen. A tribe of cavemen running around fighting, squabbling and hunting mammals, there is no dialog accept for grunts and basic gestures. I did actually think this was just the opening of the film showing a flashback/setting the plot or something, at no point did I think the entire film was gonna be like this haha colour me shocked!.

So yeah straight away I must give kudos to the creative team behind the film for the hugely bold and brave move of making an entire film in 'native caveman' grunts. Just the occasional caveman name is all you get here folks, followed by lots of 'ug's'.

The plot is as simple as the grunts you constantly hear. Basically its about two tribes, one being a very aggressive, dirty, scruffy, dark haired bunch and the other being a much fairer, cleaner looking, advanced, civilised blonde bunch. Almost as if one tribe was from the UK and the other was from Scandinavia heh. One caveman is rejected from the dark haired tribe and goes walkabout, avoiding many dangers he ends up finding the blonde tribe and falling for the ultimate cavewoman Raquel Welch. Again this rough caveman is rejected from the tribe (for being too aggressive I think) and again he goes walkabout but with Welch in tow, more dangers follow.

This film NEVER pretended to be realistic, not in the slightest, its a complete fantasy from start to finish with maybe the odd spot of realism touched upon (locations seem quite realistic). There are many issues of course that are completely stupid but is there really any point in me referring to them?. It did amuse me how almost every cavewoman is hot, not just Welch (And since when do cavewomen wear fur bikin...never mind). Most of the young ones are firm, fit, slim, clean looking, big bosomed with long flowing hair. Where as the men are all ugly, overly hairy, a bit porky and rather dirty looking, god knows what the women see in them.

Dark haired tribe are bad/primitive, blonde haired tribe are good/civilised, typical fantasy stuff really, black being bad, white being good...colour of costumes normally I mean. You could almost say the dark haired tribe were like trolls and the blonde haired tribe like elves.

The big draw in this film (apart from Welch's perfect tanned body) is of course the Harryhausen Dino effects. Easily some of the best enjoyable action we've seen from Harryhausen, the highlight for me being the excellent battle between a Ceratosaurus and a Triceratops. Not only does it look fantastic but the movement of the creatures does seem really very realistic, clearly a lot of study went into how they could of actually moved. The other fun stop motion moment for me was the giant turtle simply because it looked awesome and kinda friendly.

Strange how the film incorporates two sequences of real creatures superimposed onto the live action. Didn't like that idea (looking at you Ray) as it mixes two types of fantasy flick concepts. Usually these films are either one direction or the other for their creature effects, real or stop motion. To use the two makes the film seem a bit messy to me, as if there was indecision, plus the two methods simply don't look right together. A small gripe but not too much of an issue...accept for the giant tarantula, eh?.

This could of been quite a smart sensible realistic epic had they taken the more accurate approach. Instead they opt for the outlandish fantasy element which is cool don't get me wrong, but at the time this film was made this genre was pretty heavily flooded with similar films. The plot can be hard to follow in places due to the fact there is no spoken English and it does feel as though some ideas weren't fully developed (the hairy ape men sequences spring to mind).

Not without its flaws that's for sure but still a unique film, I think without Harryhausen's skills the film would have been incredibly dull. Pure overblown comicbook fluff that has gone down in modern pop culture much like other fantasy films 'Flash Gordon' and 'Barbarella'. I don't think we'll ever see another film where a cavewoman has as much makeup and hair products on as the gorgeous Welch. Utterly ludicrous of course, but holy Stegosaurus turd Batman!...she was damn cute back then.
½ June 3, 2013
Of course I've seen pictures of Raquel Welch in her leather bikini. I decided to watch this since Harryhausen passed away recently. But I had no idea this is a remake! How many people have heard of One Million B.C. from 1940 with Victor Mature, Carole Landis, and Lon Chaney Jr. in the three main roles? From the poster it looks like Tumak also fought a giant iguana. This is One Million Years B.C.. Chaffey, who directed Jason and the Argonauts three years earlier, and Hammer Films make this adaptation characterless and unimaginative. Despite a good portion of the budget probably going to visual effects it still looks excessively cheap. Harryhausen's creatures do not interact with the live action humans as well as the skeletons fought Jason. The rock people and shell people grunt for what barely passes as a language. The plot involves Tumak (Richardson) being thrown out of his brunette-haired angry tribe, stumbling upon Loana's (Welch) blond-haired "surfer" tribe, stumbling back home with her, and just as the two tribes are about to go to war natural disasters strike. It's all laughably bad. Since I've read part of The Clan of the Cave Bear series, I wish cave dwellers weren't always portrayed as empty headed like this.