The Opposite of Sex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Opposite of Sex Reviews

October 24, 2016
A must for Christina Ricci fans!
½ May 11, 2016
It has the kind of cynical and darkly politically incorrect humor that is among my favorite (it made me laugh out loud the whole time) and an excellent script (which I wish I had written) that makes fun of how ridiculous the characters are as they expose the worst in themselves.
August 21, 2015
A suburban teacher's life spiralled out of control after his gold digging half sister comes to visit. Everyone gets tangled in this black comedy about...well, sex. It wasn't very funny but Kudrow and Ricci both had excellent performances.
May 24, 2015
Time has not been particularly kind to this movie. I absolutely loved it when it came out. However, a recent revisit felt more than a bit forced and blunt. Christina Ricci's meanly sarcastic and deadpan performance is what makes this movie work.
½ October 11, 2014
Christina showed so much promise in this excellent movie that was way ahead of its time in relation to the whole gay thing. Lisa Kudrow is amazing.
½ August 2, 2014
(First and only viewing - 6/20/2011)
January 30, 2014
Witty dark comedy with a terrific script! Excellent acting, which s harder in comedy than in drama. A movie worth watching--hilarious.
October 2, 2013
One of those cases where the protagonist is so pretentious and unlikable, it makes the whole experience kind of difficult to sit through.
April 21, 2013
Outrageous and blase all at once.
½ April 17, 2013
It was ok. Back when Christina Ricci was smoking hot. Aside from her lounging around in bathing attire I don't recall a lot of this movie. Not remembering a lot doesn't help it's case but I recall it being ok.
March 13, 2013
Watching this again on Netflix now and this is such a great 90's film. I love both Christina Ricci and Lisa Kudrow so the two of them in the same film makes it so good! Well recommended.
February 9, 2013
Kooky comedy with a lot of different characters.
½ January 24, 2013
Lisa Kudrow shines in this movie. Christina Ricci played the role that she always plays. A very good movie that I haven't seen in a few years.
December 30, 2012
Written and directed by Don Roos (who did the screenplays for Single White Female (1992) and Diabolique (1996)), this grew out of another film Roos was working on that was ultimately abandoned, a frustrated Roos let it all out into this angry but hilarious black comedy, which showed a couple of actors playing against type. It's good fun as well with a good plot and some hilarious dialogue. Dede Truitt (Christina Ricci) hails from Louisiana, and runs away to Indiana to live with her gay half-brother Bill (Martin Donovan), who lives with his boyfriend Matt (Ivan Sergei). Bill is grieving over his late boyfriend Tom (Colin Ferguson), and Tom's sister Lucia (Lisa Kudrow) still visits. However Dede infuriates everyone by having a sexual affair with Matt, and becoming pregnant, Bill's life is in tatters, and then Matt's ex-boyfriend Jason Bock (Johnny Galecki) turns up to cause trouble and ruin Bill's reputation as a teacher. Then Dede steals Tom's ashes, holding them to ransom, while she and Matt runaway to Canada to have their baby, but Bill finds them. It's a clever comedy which also manages to be quite touching as well. Ricci is brilliant as the tartish Dede, who wrecks havoc on her loved ones. We all have teenage angst when we're growing up, but not like this!! It's a shame Roos hasn't been able to grow on the success of this film.
December 7, 2012
Smart, tart comedy about a female delinquent who up-ends her gay half-brother's life and everyone else around her.
½ November 11, 2012
Me agradó. Rompe los clichés de las películas de este tipo, la protagonista es una perra, literal jajaj, Lisa Kudrow mi querida Phoebe de Friends tiene una personalidad que me agradó jeje, ah y sale el que hace de Leonard en The Big Bang Theory como una jotilla liosa y desesperada. jajajaj
½ September 4, 2012
Satirical , hilarious and highly irritating at times due to the character of the main character...makes for an entertaining watch overall
July 29, 2012
One of Ricci's best work in this black comedy. Kudrow shines too, with many quotable one-liners.
July 23, 2012
GOOD MOVIE! Christina Ricci is subperb!