Pay the Ghost Reviews

• 5d ago

You never know what you'll get with Cage movies, but this one was actually pretty good, surprised. :)

• Jan 25, 2019

I am a big believer in Nicolas Cage. The man is really hard working and makes a lot of bad movies but for every 24 bad films that are released you find one that is pretty special and worth keeping, some examples of which are Face/Off, Drive Angry, Kick Ass, Lord of War and so on. Pay the Ghost scores 10% on Rotten Tomatoes and so as you can imagine, most think it is pretty bad. However, and I have no explanation for this but I really enjoyed this one! I went in expecting a standard kidnap thriller but it then evolves into a strange Celtic mythology fantasy horror movie and I am sure if I watch it again I will recognise the naffness but I think this might be one of those that is naff in a good way, it even had some decent jump scares in it and well designed imagery for the horror elements. I will hide in the shadows no more, I thoroughly enjoyed this film so stick it Rotten Tomatoes.

• Jan 24, 2019

I am SO surprised by the reviews! We just finished watching and we all really enjoyed it. Storyline was really interesting and well acted. I’d even say I’d watch a part 2 if it came out.

• Oct 21, 2018

Noooooo. Bad movie. Trite, predictable, bad script, the actors do what they can (but not their best), but not much they can do with the lines they're given and the plot. Cage did it for the money, obviously. Still, there are a few chills & scary hoo hoos for the kids, so it's not a total waste.

• Oct 16, 2018

Still following the same recipe to make these types of movies just doesn't work anymore, deeply uninteresting and shallow, again it may work for very young audiences like 12 or so where everything is new.

• Aug 27, 2018

Full of cliches and a weak storyline, but at times it is well done. The film also has a great Halloween atmosphere and the odd jumpy moment.

• Jul 15, 2018

Story is holding up but it is a Halloween movie like there are Christmas movies. I liked the connection with the vilain past of english invasion. Nicolas was acting very well, looking properly ghastly when appropriate.

• Jun 23, 2018

Surprisingly good story about an event in the early 17th century in Lower Manhattan that has ramifications on every Halloween since. A too-old Nicolas Cage (Mike Cole) is miscast as the father of a 7-year-old who has disappeared. He's also an English lit professor who teaches kids about horror stories and myths but is surprisingly dense about applying that knowledge to events in his life. He's a non-believer in the occult until he can no longer dismiss it. Would like to see a wiser, young Dr. Van Helsing written for theses movies, but it never happens. Cage is also not facially expressive enough iWish I could help cast horror films. He has a 10-second crying jag that rings false. This is slow-moving, for sure, but explanations come near the end -- and they make sense. There's an underworld visit that, while, brief, has a satisfying optic and a fine revenge twist. It's a small cast. Mrs. Cole adds very little. Nor does the confused and clueless detective have enough imagination to be more than an onlooker. He needs t be breast-fed any information and even then, as a total skeptic, offers no help at all. The psychic called in has a juicy star turn. Good atmospherics and a gritty portal to the Underworld add smart touches. Wish the directors would lower the cheap, quick cuts to scary visions to a minimum. This story works fine without a host of gimmicks.

• Apr 15, 2018

I enjoyed this movie. Some great jump scares and no real gore, which unfortunately most "horror" movies of today seem to think is the only way to scare people. I would have liked to see more of the detective's story line and how it could have come together with the main, kind of made the ending a little incomplete. But overall the acting was great and the story kept me interested. I would recommend this movie.

• Mar 03, 2018

In spite of the presence of the always enjoyable Nic Cage and some reasonably well done moments of spookles, its a rather anodyne affair.