Polisse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Polisse Reviews

March 30, 2016
Top notch...the real CPU is depicted. Maiwenne did a great job directing this film.
½ December 22, 2015
After reading some of the reviews and finding out that this movie got the big prize at Cannes, I can only conclude that I am the last sane person on Earth. I've never seen so much overacting, pointless dialogue, illogical leaps in the plot crammed into two painful hours. And I didn't even mention the part where the cops who supposedly are so concerned about the kids are completely thoughtless about a teenager who just gave birth to her rapist's child or the mom who had to report her husband as a child molester. Other than that, it's great.
February 21, 2012
Investing in a documentary tone with a handheld camera, this realistic drama depicts the everyday life of the policemen/women in the division of crimes against children in Paris, and is a fascinating collection of situations that show their work and the relationship between them.
½ February 9, 2015
There's no story here. No suspense. Nothing interesting. Just a series of scenes of ugly people eating and fighting, intersperesed with occasional scenes of police interviews and arrests. Very ugly film. The constant eating is disgusting to watch. Terrible film.
October 13, 2014
I really haven't seen Maiween in a long time since The Fifth Element, so seeing her in this and actually directed and wrote it, got me curious. Polisse is actually a really great film. It's got police action, it's got lots of drama, and stuff that you wouldn't really think it'll go that route. It does got some scenes that you see in a Law and Order episode, but the thing about this film is that it affects the main characters too, well a little. It does have some great acting which I can see the expressions on their face to know that they are trying to act. It does have some great drama in it that might make some viewers feel emotional about. The ending might make viewers feel mixed about, whether they think it's more thoughtful then they thought, or it's just a confusing mess that should've been explained more. I think it is more thoughtful then I thought, but I do understand why people think about it the other way around. I didn't really got that invested in the beginning, but the middle and end got me really invested. It gives more proof that actors have the potential of being great directors or great writers.
½ September 6, 2014
An impressive film, but tough watching at times, particularly in the beginning. Not seen a film showing this kind of storyline before and it was all pretty believable.
½ May 18, 2014
Pour la scène de la mère qui laisse son enfant
April 14, 2014
Muestra Internacional: Veamos Polisse, la película está bien dirigida. Entrando a este ámbito entre ficción y documental en donde hasta la misma directora tiene un papel nada pequeño como fotógrafa. Tiene muy buenas secuencias como la de un interrogatorio a un señor mayor o a una adolescente amargada. La película en ocasiones se vuelve lenta y cansada.
April 2, 2014
Superb cast with an in-your-face kinda realism about the French CPU (Child Protection Unit). Just a very well done film that packs a punch --even an ending that's not @ all what you'd expect. Super!!
½ November 14, 2012
excellent real life french policing in child protection
½ March 19, 2014
too much information to process
March 5, 2014
Jumble of scenes revolving around a tight knit group, the CPU (Child Protection Unit).
**pedophilia, rape, abortion, homelessness, marital stresses; but what was that ending about?
January 30, 2014
won the Jury Prize at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival
2012 was nominated for thirteen César Awards
Harlequin68
½ January 28, 2014
Whenever something bad happens to a child in Paris, the Child Protection Unit is called in to investigate. These are their stories.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

With the exception of a couple of music video like sequences, "Polisse" attempts to use a documentary like realism in a story that is framed by Melissa(Maiwenn, who also directed, and not at all well), a photographer, being assigned to follow the unit. Sadly, the movie is something of a mess with too many characters to adequately keep track of in showing how the frustrations of the job get to the detectives with too much emphasis away from the job. That and the movie's idea of high drama being yelling and screaming lead to only one case that truly resonates. And that's not to mention one huge cliche that had been dynamited to bits fifty years ago and one truly WTF ending.
ElCochran90
January 1, 2014
Even if I must accept that the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival has some bias in favor of French films, even if I must highlight that there were more artistically uncommon and engaging deliveries around the world in 2011, I must also accept that I cannot complain for the Jury's choice in 2011 like I somewhat can for their decision three years before with Entre les Murs.

Based on alarming real-life cases reported by the Parisian CPU (Child Protection Unit), the movie is a complete expectations surpasser. With a realism so striking that it almost becomes tangible to the viewer, Polisse assembles a cast of actresses and actors so good at their profession that the overall result is extraordinary (it really blows your mind), bringing along perfectly delineated and differentiated characters with performances out of this world (heck, out of this galaxy!). Even if the film acts as a collage of raw experiences, skipping from one event to the next one with an unforgiving pace as an attempt to mirror the vigorous pace that their lives follow and how they struggle everyday, constantly, to balance their personal lives with such a psychologically and physically demanding job, it also manages to encapsulate your senses and attention span to every single event depicted. This is done thanks to what may be the best screenplay of the year, which makes the characters fight against the authoritarian barriers within the CPU, and get emotionally involved with their cases and between themselves.

The realism of the film is the highlight. The performances, the directing, the screenplay, the characters, the vivid situations, all manage to make you emotionally involved. The film transmits emotions as effectively as any other human being could do. If they laugh, you want to laugh. If they dance, you want to dance at their beat. If they cry, they scream, they drink, they argue, they hit, shoot and run, you want to accompany them. You feel as a part of their team. You become a member.

I could argue that you have no human heart if you do not get also emotionally involved with at least 3 situations presented in the film. It happend to me at least five times: I wanted to laugh at the smartphone scene, wanted to cry twice and jumped (literally) from my seat out of two scares I did not see coming at all. As for the rest, they represent problems of our contemporary society that we should care about and fight against them as responsible citizens with the means given at our disposal.

We rarely get movies with such a precise emotional maturity. This film just opened my eyes a little bit more at the entrails of the bureaucratic organization of an admirable job like the CPU is. Even with their conflicts, with their occasional unprofessional behavior and with their childish management of conflicts, you learn how to respect them, because their human condition is no different than yours. It really isn't.

97/100
December 13, 2013
está demasiado buena, también muy fuerte por el tema :s
November 10, 2013
Powerful stuff. Filmed with actors but made like a documentary, following the police officers of a Paris CPU (child protection unit) and the abuse cases they work on. By turns shocking, heart-breaking and occasionally funny it's not for the fainthearted, and the ending comes out of nowhere and will leave you gasping.
½ July 31, 2012
This is definitely a movie that you won't forget. Dealing with subject matter that you don't want to know about., ,its tough, & it does bring you into this world., It does though, at times, get a little melodramatic & the story telling is a bit choppy, but that being said it is one of those movies that you can't turn away from. Hard hitting viewing.
September 10, 2013
A docu style film but with lots of elements missing
½ March 2, 2013
Extraordinary performances and gritty writing truly elevate this look into the lives of a group of people working in a juvenile protection division in Paris. It's also assuredly directed by Maïwenn.