The Proposition - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Proposition Reviews

½ April 16, 2017
I don't understand the good rating?! It's not a good movie!
April 13, 2017
A fairly under the radar Australian film ( Even in Australia , where the majority of the populace has never heard of it ) , this is perhaps one of the best Australian made films ever.
A complex story that is truly brutal to witness.Pearce and Huston give fantastic performances and the direction is impeccable.
½ February 7, 2017
This is a REAL western! It begins with the viewer thrust right into a gun fight - bullets binging and pinging all around! And although the frenetic opener turns into a much more slow paced, methodical story telling, it never loses the grip on the viewer. Sending a brother to kill a brother to save a third brother. Brother, that is messed up! Dirty and gritty, this is a western's western. I loved the whipping scene - the violence overlaid with the beautiful song. And the location of the Captain's house - the beauty surrounded by the bleakness. What is stronger - family or doing what is right? Or both?
½ February 6, 2017
I'm not sure what it was that I didn't like about this, the acting was very good and visually this was a solid film. I found the plot mundane and the characters dragged their feet carrying out even the most menial tasks. Definitely not a horrible film, but I had a hard time enjoying myself with this one. Strange, because I normally like the stuff John Hillcoat makes, but I would recommend Lawless or The Road instead of this effort by him.
December 5, 2016
Brilliantly penned Western/Revenge Flick by Nick Cave and superbly acted by all. Gritty and violent, but equally beautiful thanks to the stunning cinematography. Easily the best Western since The Unforgiven. It might take some a viewing or two to realize its full impact. Sam Peckinpah would be proud.
August 16, 2016
Even being extremely violent, the plot of The Proposition is an unquestionable delicate experience, drawing great performances from the cast. The best in the movie, though, is the soundtrack that completely combines with its frantic course.
July 19, 2016
A fun movie to watch... ALONE. WATCH THIS ALONE. It also has the best headshot ever put on film.
February 23, 2016
Unfathomably violent and utterly grim from beginning to end. But the film is shot and acted magnificently. A true to form, revenge fantasy, and the revenge is bloody as hell. It turns the hero journey of the western on it's head, as you fight to understand which person is the real bad guy in Australia's worst of times. Is Charlie Burns a ruthless thug, or a misunderstood Irishman, and will he bring his disgusting rapist of a brother to justice? Is Capt. Stanley an old tyrant or a man trying to protect his town? The line is blurred thanks to the overwhelming amount of senseless violence that each character engages in, including one intensely vile lashing at the expense of kidnapped Mike Burns. This is in no way an easy film to watch, but it brilliantly captures the savagery of the 19th century Australian outback.
January 27, 2016
And he did kill his brother......
January 25, 2016
I liked it, my wife hated it. Lots of killin' goin' on, and she doesn't care for that stuff. But for those who love westerns -- which are not as popular as they used to be -- this is worth seeing.
½ November 26, 2015
It took me a second viewing to realize how brilliant this movie is. This is a great example of directorial mastery of tone, inventive and ballsy scoring, and cinematography that is at times startlingly good. Great performances from all the leads.
October 14, 2015
"I will civilise this place".
½ September 19, 2015
The best western since Unforgiven isn't even American. This Australian film is directed with a true passion for grit, and the storyline evokes memories of only the classics. My only real complaint is that there could have been more character development to have made the ending more persuasive. I wish John Hillcoat's next film (the Road) had turned out this good.
September 13, 2015
A gritty & poetic Outback Western written by Nick Cave with a depth & violence to it. Despite its intensity very enjoyable & absorbing drama.

The look of the film was stunning & the story itself although dark was mesmerizing. The film had a lot going on under the surface.

I found myself easily involved with the world & it's characters a superb Aussie Western a must see Australian film in general.
August 26, 2015
Dark morality tale set in the Australian outback. Powerful story, but the setting and atmosphere alone makes it worth seeing-- the mostly unexplored colonial history of Australia. Great character development for pretty much everyone except Guy Pearce's Charlie Burns, who remains fairly mysterious and taciturn until the very end.
½ August 23, 2015
Slow, slow, slow. John Hurt overacts to the point of being funny. Kudos though for nice cinematography.
August 23, 2015
Beautiful shots, beautiful soundtrack, brutal story.
½ August 14, 2015
This is the best western in years and one of the best movies of the year.Does not pull any punches and the movie is so much better off for it.
July 24, 2015
One damn good film. Ray Winstone has never been so good, as is Guy Pearce & cameo from John Hurt. Great plot, great acting. Just a damn good film.