Psycho III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Psycho III Reviews

½ October 29, 2017
More what I expected from the second instalment. Anthony Perkins is still disturbingly charming in his iconic roll but while the second instalment still had more to say, all we've got here is a mediocre mid 80s slasher.
½ October 25, 2017
Psycho III is the series' first installment to not have some form of mystery/twist (those who have viewed Psycho and Psycho II know what I'm talking about). Though a story doesn't need those things to be good, here the lack of such an element makes it seem something is missing. It should be mentioned that I don't consider the information we discover at the end (SPOILER: Emma Spool was Norman's aunt, not his mother) a twist because it merely reconfirms the status quo we had going into the second film. Anyway, that's not really my point here. My point is that with the lack of some form of mystery, this film becomes an-only-slightly better than typical 80s slasher flick. You don't care about any of Norman's victims like in Psycho I; they are clearly only here to be offed by him. As for the supporting characters, you can't really relate to their motivations and the actors portraying them are "meh" at best. I will say, though, that Anthony Perkins does give his best in his third go-around as Norman Bates, showing how invested he had become in the character. He also does a pretty capable job of directing; it's just a shame that this is the only film he would be at the helm. Additionally, though the story is fairly thin in many places, it does an interesting job of showing the psychological struggle Norman is going through at this time. That is probably the most (sadly, maybe only) interesting thing about the plot. Overall, the negatives and positives of Psycho III balance out, leading to an unremarkable film. "Unremarkable" isn't the worst thing to call a movie, but that's pretty awful for one with such an iconic character.
September 11, 2017
Perkins directs this one, and he does a decent job of it, but things are starting to wear pretty thin by this point. There's some interesting additions to the mythology by the end though...
September 8, 2017
Anthony Perkins does an ok job with the sequel creating some interesting transitional scenes directors seem to be doing today. The plot was intriguing, but with a few minor errors that probably made this a straight to video movie, but I could be wrong.
½ April 16, 2017
170416: Pure slasher silliness that leaves you hanging...again.
October 7, 2016
Decent sequel with haunting lighting and atmosphere, but inferior to the first two films and too much of a generic '80s slasher horror film.
September 18, 2016
Decent third entry in the Psycho series of films. The script is not as strong as the surprisingly good second film, but this film does continue the Emma Spool storyline from the previous film. This time Norman hires the oily hunk, Jeff Fahey, to manage his hotel and things get complicated when a runaway nun check in at the hotel, who Norman begins to get eyes for, which, of course, "Mother" does not like. Anthony Perkins directed this entry and does a solid job, giving the film some visual flair and also gets the comically black tone right as well. The main weakness of the film is the plot is not as clever or engaging, but everything else does seem to work.
August 27, 2016
Normal Bates starts going down the slasher-route in this OK but not great third film in the series.
½ August 19, 2016
Not as good as the second, but worth the watch, even though Scarwid is annoying. Some good imagery, and possibly the most malevolent look at Norman as Mother.
½ July 12, 2016
A step-down from its predecessors but still intriguing and Perkins does a great job both in front and behind the camera.
June 13, 2016
My favourite Psycho movie mainly because of the slasher feel to it.
June 3, 2016
Nothing could be as good as the very first one.
½ February 27, 2016
Though not technically a well made film, it does have some moments to it. Perkins slips into the Bates character again with ease, and there's some dark humour. If a fan of 80's horror, it's worth a watch, otherwise skip it.
½ February 15, 2016
Stupid. I had to get it out of my system after not being able to watch past the first half many years ago.
½ January 6, 2016
Surprisingly really good in quite a few scenes. Falls flat here and there too. Probably the most curious one of the franchise. Anthony is a more than competent director as well. Well worth the trip if you can conceive it's possible to make good sequels from the masterpiece that was the original.
½ October 26, 2015
This is far from the original, and a decent step down from part 2, but still an alright 3rd instalment. I recommend it to the people who gave the 2nd a chance and enjoyed it.
½ August 5, 2015
Psycho 3 removes us entirely from the age of innocent, bloodless, horror. Psycho 2 certainly started the transition, but this third outing is a complete slash-fest... think early Friday the 13th. Directed by Perkins, this entry could have been the logical conclusion to Norman's escapades... given its low key and realistic end. It's bumpy throughout and suffers from an overdose of '80s camp, but still manages to flow acceptably. Fans of the series will forgive it.
May 8, 2015
Let's get something straight, none of the sequels are anything close to as good as the original Hitchcock classic. So you need a different mindset when watching the sequels. Psycho 2 was an underrated horror movie. Psycho 3, however, is not very good. Perkins does a commendable job as the director, with some nice shots and violent, bloody kills. The pacing is horrendous, but the blame should be put on the screenwriter, as the screenplay is horrible. There are no murders until about halfway through the film and there are way too few kills in the film. The most interesting aspect of this film is how the good guy is the one going around murdering innocent people. It makes no sense and makes the movie kind of an awkward watch and kind of a chore because you don't know who you're supposed to relate to or cheer for. Out of the four main characters, two are jerks, albeit innocent jerks, one is a girl who spends most of her time moping around or being delusional, and the other is Norman Bates murdering people. I was hoping for some sort of Psycho 2 twist where he wasn't actually the one behind the deaths, but no, the film is very straightforward and Norman Bates is the psycho. Just a disappointment after what was a pretty good effort in the first sequel.
½ April 19, 2015
Norman finally stands up to "Mother!"
March 31, 2015
Unnecessary return to the infamous Bates compound isn't scary, it's just gross and depressing. As director, Perkins deserves more credit than his given for his work here, but his respect for his own character and reverence for Hitchcock aren't enough to make this a worthy entry in the franchise.