Pumpkinhead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pumpkinhead Reviews

½ October 10, 2018
Typical '80s monster flick. A group of teens do something wrong and then get picked off one by one. Not scary anymore, but can see how I could've found it scary as a kid.
½ October 9, 2018
Exceptional horror film thanks to a superb lead performance and simple but subtle direction by the late, great Stan Winston. The cast is solid, with Lance Henrikson giving a superb lead performance Ed Harley, the grieving father who goes thru dark means for revenge. You see a true character arc with Harley, as you understand his revenge is righteous but the means he turns to is horrific. Behind the camera, the late, great Stan Winston gives an excellent directorial debut (and surprisingly, his only one), creating a truly brilliant monster in Pumpkinhead, thanks to a mix of brilliant practical effects and real personality (Pumpkinhead doesn't just kill his victims, he tortures and haunts them). Winston also brings nice balance to the Pumpkinhead's victims, showing they dead a bad thing but or not necessarily bad people, thus not discover the horror he visits on them. Best of all, Winston keeps the story simple (everything happens in day) while keeping Pumpkinhead himself a mystery, never really explaining how he came to be. Overall, one of the better horror films on the 1980's, and proof that the master, Stan Winston, was a virtuoso in many forms behind the camera.
September 10, 2018
A true classic on par with that of John Carpenter's Halloween, Pumpkinhead provides a great monster design and brilliant atmosphere along with a rich story that is often not found in horror today.
August 29, 2018
Brilliant lo-budget indie style film with an original monster and fully dimensional characters. stands alone.
August 14, 2018
A dark, ambient film with a sinister monster and taut plot.
August 5, 2018
A bit dated now, when I first saw it I probably would have given it 5 stars despite some poor acting from the cast members other than Henrikson.
½ June 25, 2018
Has great creature effects and interesting story but a good build up is missing
½ April 17, 2018
A great little horror with brilliant special effects that have definitely stood the test of time. Watching Pumpkinhead now, it's almost like a love letter to times gone where there was a lack of computer special effects and the monsters were actually made by human hands and had a real revolting and demonic look that no one has been able to mimic with the use of CGI since. Pumpkinhead teeters right on the edge of the nineties when this kind of horror had started to go extinct. Real good old fashioned scary stories instead of remakes or sequels. Lance Henrikson gives a brilliant performance.
November 7, 2017
SFX guru Stan Winston helms this movie, and it is the special effects of Pumpkinhead that most stand out. For those alone, it is worth watching, however, it never reached the heights of horror franchises born of the same era. Still, a shining example of fantasy horror that I was thrilled to revisit.
½ October 29, 2017
It?s great to see Henriksen in the lead. Worth watching!
½ October 29, 2017
its okay in its own way, honestly im not a big fan pumpkin head doesent give enough effort to make an excellent film to its stupid plot its hard to tell whats happening, but what can i say the effects are kind of cool though.'
October 10, 2017
This movie was very bad.
September 17, 2017
250 hours, guys. Two-hundred and fifty fucking hours, guys. 250 hours without any electricity. This would not be so difficult if I lived in a place like, say, Canada, where you could at least sleep comfortably since the weather wouldn't be hot. Where I live, a tropical island, the weather is almost always in the 90+ range. The lowest we get here might be the mid-80s. And the fact that most houses here are made of concrete makes sleeping inside in this weather almost impossible without waking up in a pool of your own sweat. This happened several nights here in the 10 and a half days we were without electricity. It was quite annoying. That's neither here nor there, of course, and very few of you actually care about this. Let's move on to the review, shall we? I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone that the first movie I review after being gone for almost 2 weeks is a horror movie. It should surprise people even less that it's an 80s horror flick. After being gone for a while and being stressed the fuck out for 10 and a half days, I wanted to watch something silly. I was leaning more towards a comedy before I, eventually, settled on this. Why did I choose this, you may ask yourself. Or not, who knows? Anyway, I just saw it on Amazon and it was like 'oh cool'. As far as I can remember, I had never actually seen this movie (maybe bits and pieces, but not enough to get a real sense of quality). Of course I'm familiar with Pumpkinhead. It's a C-tier horror franchise, like Puppet Master or Wishmaster, for sure, but I'm certainly familiar enough with it. Not familiar with the details of the concept or the origin of the actual Pumpkinhead, but something is something. I'll be honest with you all, as this is what you should expect from me, but I didn't really like this movie that much. Don't know what it is, as it is a fairly competent movie, on a technical level at least. There's just something about this that's, honestly, a little off-putting. And, again, I can't quite put my finger on it. The design of the Pumpkinhead itself is great, it'd almost have to be with special effects artist Stan Winston behind the helm. But, quite frankly, the monster itself isn't really that scary in the slightest. Part of the reason for that has to be the fact that it looks like a completely immobile being. It looks like a monster that would, and should, be easily avoided because it moves so damn slowly. Secondly, there's very little gore in the film. There's actually next to no gore and the blood is, again, practically nonexistent. So you have a creature that regularly people could easily avoid and it doesn't really inspire any sort of fear. I mean, he does kill the teens in this movie, but he doesn't do it in a way where that fear is translated to an audience that then buys him as a legitimate monster. I know this is a cult classic, but I honestly don't really get what people see in this. The design of the monster is great, but that's all it has going for it. The film is poorly-written and poorly-acted. And it's not even the "good" kind, where you just sort of laugh at how shitty the writing and the acting are. It's just not entertainingly bad like The Room. Part of me thinks that this film's cult following is due to the aforementioned issues, but again, it's just really bad. At least this moves at a fast enough pace. But that might also be one of its biggest problems. You're thrown into this world with just the bare minimum of introduction. Nothing is given a chance to breathe. Characters are anticlimactically killed off because they don't have a lot of time to work with. It's just a disaster. The most interesting ideas in the film come at the end, when it is revealed that the person who called upon the Pumpkinhead's murderous ways, to avenge something that was done to that person's loved ones (as an example), becomes the next Pumpkinhead upon their death. That's about the most logical reason anyone has ever come up with for why a villain that has been killed keeps coming back sequel after sequel. Stan Winston is a legend in the special effects world, but a good storyteller he is not. This is a misfire on almost every level but one. And that is the design of the Pumpkinhead. Everything else about this movie is just really bad. I can't recommend this in the slightest, even if you're the biggest horror geek in the world. There's plenty of better 80s horror movies that deserve your attention.
½ July 19, 2017
This movie has a few good moments (especially with the creature design) and a few bad moments as well. The pacing and direction was a bit sloppy, and the whole damn movie is a bit too orange hued for me. However, if you put aside all of that, there is a bit of classic 80's horror in here that is worth seeing.
½ May 16, 2017
A pretty cool Halloween flick. This was Stan Winston (Yes, THAT Stan Winston) directing debut, and he impresses. He seems at ease in the director's chair. Pumpkinhead makes for a memorable new horror character with attitude, and the whole film feels very Halloween-y (Pumpkinhead is buried in a pumpkin patch). Lance Henrikson does a great job, but the star here is Pumpkinhead himself. The effects used to create him are pretty impressive, and his arrival scene is effective. Pumpkinhead is an easy Halloween time recommendation.
November 24, 2016
BEWARE OF PUMPKINHEAD
½ October 27, 2016
Excellent monster design! The director and producers are not worried about showing the demon plenty of times throughout, so we can marvel at its excellent construction.
½ October 23, 2016
One of my favorite horror films, scared me as a kid. Pumpkinhead is a blast.
October 19, 2016
Great creature effects coupled with a straightforward story makes Pumpkinhead an enjoyable film.
October 18, 2016
love this movie watch it soon as u can lol