Quartet Reviews

• Oct 28, 2019

It simply passed time. The cast was not the right fit in my opinion considering how interesting the storyline was. Wish the ending was different!

• Jul 17, 2016

6.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2wD

6.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2wD

• Mar 12, 2015

Slow-moving and not very interesting, either.

Slow-moving and not very interesting, either.

• Sep 01, 2014

Ivory's interest is focused so completely on the period clothes and decor that the drama never surfaces.

• Dec 30, 2012

This rather empty and hallow story is full of characters, whose purpose in the story remains unclear til the end. Adjani plays her part very well and being stunning beautiful of course, but this did not help the movie from becoming disappointing. I would say that while the movie wasn't boring, but Isabelle Adjani's great performance gave a promise of something interesting to come, which the rest of the film then didn't deliver. The film finishes oddly: while attempting to state philosophical factoids of life, it really doesn't say anything at all. The characters, even the most sympathetic main characters, are immoral and the story doesn't give you much to think about.. interesting and well played, but in the end a futile movie.

• Sep 16, 2012

Unless Hopkins and Thompson are involved, I have never liked an Ivory film. They all take decent stories and bore the audience to death with their utter lack of panache.

• Sep 14, 2011

Somewhat leaden in pacing, this beautiful early Merchant-Ivory adaptation of a Jean Rhys story about the demimonde doings of a predatory British couple and a young beauty offers wonderful period scenes and high-quality acting, as befits the excellent cast. The driver of the plot is the obsessive love between Adjani and Bates, and herein lies the biggest problem: I didn't quite believe it.

• Jun 15, 2010

maggie smith and sheila gish are decadently de-lovely while isabelle adjani is just lovely. alan bates definitely scores some points as well. thank you merchant & ivory.

• Sep 30, 2009

Amazed to see Maggie Smith so YOUNG in a film. Ive always like her, I think she has done much better as she's mutured, because she did the most fake crying and screaming in this film. As for the rest of the movie, lame 1920's french film. Isabelle Adjani is not my kind of actress, and the acting was...the terrible old not believable type

• May 08, 2009

Well-performed and very pretty, but this dull and empty story of bored wastrels in 1920s Paris sits without purpose. A lesser Merchant-Ivory production.