Rebel Without a Cause Reviews

• Apr 08, 2021

I watched this mainly out of curiosity because, well it's a classic and you just "have" to see it, right? Needless to say I wasn't impressed with any of it, but at least now I can say that I've seen it. I might watch it again at some point to reacquaint myself with it, but other than that, seeing it once satisfied my curiosity.

• Feb 07, 2021

I first saw this in college or something. Just rewatched it a few days ago and thought I'd be like, eh what's the big deal. But there's actually something kinda weird and dark about this movie. Like, it somehow feels way heavier than Lynch in certain moments, but I cant quite tell what's making it feel so strange nor if it's even intentional. More, there's something still very cool, albeit problematic, about this film. I hate to admit it, but I still really want to be James Dean, toxic masculinity and all. And I don't even identify as a cis, hetero male, and I know we've learned so much since these times, but I still dig it! Which made my viewing and conflicting feelings all the more bizarre. I know people have spent a lot of time watching and writing about the ethos of this movie and James Dean, but frankly I'm too lazy to read about it, or care. But I definitely recommend this movie, you just gotta be in the right mood for it.

• Jan 03, 2021

While I can appreciate the cultural significance of the film, Rebel Without a Cause really missed the mark in terms of realism. The acting and direction here were all over the place, the dialogue is atrocious, and I have some serious concerns as to whether the writer was a sociopath. Without a doubt James Dean is an icon, but he was outshined in this film by Natalie Wood. I found his character to be aloof to the point of being unbelievable, which I'm assuming is mostly due to bad directing. Wood, on the other hand, handled her character exceptionally well under the circumstances and is much more believable as a teenager than Dean. Spoiler alert: If the events of this film had taken place over several weeks, I may be more inclined to accept the story. However, to say that in just one day Jim moves to a new town, gets arrested for drunkenness, meets a girl, gets in a knife fight, drives a stolen car off a cliff, has to go on the run from a gang, makes a girl fall in love with him after her "friend's" death, breaks into an abandoned house and an observatory, is found by said gang, gets shot at, and loses his new best friend in a shootout with police is too much of a stretch for me. The one thing that this film did get partially correct was the generational conflict between parents and their children. Overall, it's worth watching once.

• Jan 01, 2021

Well acted. Touched on deep issue of cooperative parental guidance to thwart troubled youths Judy’s story is sad in that she would latch onto anyone who would show her affection. Even her choice of Jim was a poor one. Even though well acted, reactions to death was jarring.

• Oct 18, 2020

A wonderful performance by James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo. A must see!

A wonderful performance by James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo. A must see!

• Sep 12, 2020

Bringing a fresh take on domestic adolescence and firmly establishing Dean's position as the poster boy for '50s teenagers, Rebel Without a Cause may have been an innovative piece of film upon first release, but its melodrama and storyline haven't aged well after decades of far more sincere takes on the difficulties of young adults in the suburban jungle. Mineo's Plato is a good example of the film just being too over the top for its own good - some parental abandonment is apparently all it takes to exhibit psychotic delusions, get in a police shootout, and literally murder puppies. Toss in some knife fights and deadly car racing and you might mistake the film for a comedy with the level of insanity that it ascribes to the life of an apparently average high school student in the '50s. (3.5/5)

• Jul 21, 2020

It is Wood rather than Dean that made it work for me.

It is Wood rather than Dean that made it work for me.

• Jul 14, 2020

Powerful performances.

Powerful performances.

• Jun 14, 2020

Has the movie not aged well and is melodramatic? Sure. But you cannot deny the impact this movie had when it was released.

• May 31, 2020

Rebel Without a Cause is a carefully crafted portrait of teenage angst with many thought provoking themes. Even with its slightly dated craft, it still stands as one of the most classic coming of age films.