Red State - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red State Reviews

June 9, 2016
A big break from what you expect from Kevin Smith... This delivers a shot to the front of your dome. A Satire of the far right fundamentalists, while giving equal measure to corruptible nature of a government without checks and balances.

My only understanding as to why this has been rated so low is because it offends the religious right and the liberal left at the same time.

The score is haunting and the entire film has a very dark tone, we've seen Kevin doing comedy, we've even seen some drama. But this I think was something completely new from him. If it didn't have his name all over it, I'd swear it was from Quentin Tarantino. The hyper-violent nature, the fact that everyone is corruptible, the fact that noone is safe... It was fucking beautiful.

And I just looked this up, it was number 8 on QT's list of films of 2011.

Been doing a bit of a Kevin Smith "Binge" and this certainly was jarring and different from his other works. Well done good sir, well done.
½ May 15, 2016
Disturbing, but predictable.
½ May 14, 2016
Damn, unpredictable and wild as hell. The best cult related movie I've ever seen.
½ May 6, 2016
This is not meant to be a 'horror' movie. Much deeper than that. In the current political climate this is especially good. By being especially horrible. Turn your brain on and watch this good flic.
½ April 30, 2016
This was pathetic. I made it about 15 minutes in. It just could not hold my interest. The writing and directing sucks.
April 23, 2016
Kevin Smith sort de sa zone de confort et livre un bon film!
April 8, 2016
Okay, let's get something straight. There are ways to write a metaphorical piece of art, and there are bad ways to. Animal Farm for example, is a metaphor for communism and it works. Why? Because it gives you interesting characters and most important, it never takes time to stop and say, "Hey guys this is just like communism." Red State does.

At one point in the movie a teacher references the Westboro Baptist Church, the obvious inspiration for this movie, and says in affect, "Yah those guys are bad, but not as bad as these guys." That's not how you do a metaphor. You can't compare the thing you're trying to write about with your fictional work and make it seem thought provoking and intriguing. It would be like making a movie where the plot was an allegory for the Holocaust and then having a person in the middle of it say, "Wow, this is just like the Holocaust only worse." That's bad script writing.

The movie does have some strong character acting in it, and the stuff with the government agents is a much better allegory for the government's bumbling of the Waco Texas disaster. That being said, it's not enough to save the film as a whole.
April 5, 2016
Deceptively Clever, Evocative, & Incredibly Radical. Wasn't Sure What To Expect From Kevin Smith Here, But It Certaintly Is Waaaay Way Off His Usual Tangent, & I Kinda Liked It. For Such A Low Budget (4-Million) It Still Carrys Some Big Name Headliners To Pack A Real Strong Punch. It Ain't Content Many Will Stomach, But Some Stories Ain't Real Pretty. It Is Cleverly Explored With Some Real Insights To Politics Vs Religion & Morality.
March 29, 2016
underrated great movie
½ February 16, 2016
Kevin Smith directing a serious film... whaaaa! The Devils rejects meets the Westborough Baptist Church meets any run of the mill teens lost and get into trouble film. This is not what I'd expect from him. There was only about 1 moment I felt even a tingle of excitement and that was from the sound during the trumpet scene. Yet again, don't waste your time.
½ February 6, 2016
Would have been way more Eerie with the Rapture
February 6, 2016
I liked how close to reality was the cop operation and how cynical everone is. Even if the execution is not good at times it makes for some interesting perspective of our society
January 7, 2016
Kevin Smith's shot at a "serious" movie is this infuriating, terribly directed and unfocused mess that only manages to be morally disgusting in its childish, inconsistent political ideas while also full of implausible situations and long, unnecessary monologues.
½ December 4, 2015
Pretty rough, but also surprisingly deep from Kevin Smith. It's an uneasy mix of horror, thriller, action, drama that is never not interesting, but not fully successful.
½ November 2, 2015
Decent first hour, last 20 minutes completely destroyed it.
½ September 28, 2015
Kevin Smiths best film!!!
½ September 15, 2015
This is a wild departure from the standard fair from Kevin Smith. The movie will shock most and will not leave a good taste in your mouth afterwords, but for all that, this is by far won of Mr. Smith's masterpieces...I would go as far as saying you will see this in steady rotation on Turner Classics in another 20 years.
August 26, 2015
Oddly interesting with strong performances, but walks the line of many genres and it never falls firmly into one
August 11, 2015
An abrupt critic of power and influence in both micro and macro organisations.
½ July 24, 2015
From director Kevin Smith. Promising set up but rather messy.